Search (string or RegEx?)

Eric

Beta Tester
I'm studying II Timothy 1:3. I would like to know if the Greek word ἀπὸ (G575) is ever translated as "as" in the KJV. Using F2's normal search of KJVSL, if I search for just the Greek word (i.e. "G575"), I get 671 matches – too many to sort through quickly. If I use the same normal search and look for "as G575" (having selected the option to find a hit if all the words are present), I get 150 hits, still hardly convenient, since it shows any verse that contains G575 and "as", but that doesn't mean the G575 is translated as "as" there. So I thought I'd try the Character String Search tab. I searched for "as <a href="swordsearcher://strongs/g575">G575</a>". I got no hits. That either means there are no cases in the KJV where G575 is translated as "as", or it means I didn't search correctly. I have a hunch the search is not formulated correctly, since I also can't find "from <a href="swordsearcher://strongs/g575">G575</a>", but that string, it seems to me, should be in the KJVSL module for II Timothy 1:3, since there G575 is translated as "from". Is there a better way to do this search? Maybe I need to use RegEx? Any advice is welcome! Thank you.

After I posted the above post, I thought maybe I could just search for "as" in the Search > English-Strong's Indexer (Ctrl-F2), but I found an interesting thing: It will not allow me to search for the word "as". I have previously searched for "assembly", and now when I search for "as", the field is filled in with "assembly" automatically. I'm wondering if this is some kind of bug, since I also searched for "greatly" and then I cannot search for "great". I'm running version 6.2.1.2.

You can not search for an html string in a Bible. The data is not stored or processed that way.

The ESI is a good way to go, but with such a common word, the results will be truncated. The word "as" is never used for Greek 575. I can't duplicate the problems you have described with the ESI. It seems to work as expected for me.

You can use the Character String search to do this as well. Do a Character String Search the KJVSL (not the KJV) for "from απο" -- that will get the results you are looking for. απο is the "Strong's link" or "entry" in the lexicon for G575. (Doing this for "as απο" returns one verse but only because the character string matches inside of "was αποκτεινω")

Hope this helps.

I can't duplicate the problems you have described with the ESI. It seems to work as expected for me.

[…] Do a Character String Search the KJVSL (not the KJV) for "from απο" -- that will get the results you are looking for. απο is the "Strong's link" or "entry" in the lexicon for G575. (Doing this for "as απο" returns one verse but only because the character string matches inside of "was αποκτεινω")

Thanks, Brandon. It surely does help! I'll use the character string search. I don't know why the ESI is doing what it does. Is there a way to clear previous searches there?

Thanks, Brandon. It surely does help! I'll use the character string search. I don't know why the ESI is doing what it does. Is there a way to clear previous searches there?

It's a normal drop-down style box, and you should be able to type what you want in there and search for it regardless of previous searches. What happens if you press the delete button when the last part of the word is highlighted?

You can clear it on exit if you set File > Preferences > Misc. Options > Misc/Clear history lists from search etc boxes on exit.

[…] you should be able to type what you want in there and search for it regardless of previous searches. What happens if you press the delete button when the last part of the word is highlighted?
Guess what? The problem was that I'm using SwordSearcher in VirtualBox on a MacBook Pro. The Mac keyboard's "delete" button is really the equivalent of the Windows "Backspace", so when I used fn+delete, I was indeed able to search for "as" in the English-Strong's Indexer. Seems as if there may be cases when one really does want a full report in the ESI – is there any way to prevent truncating of reports on very common words?
You can clear it on exit if you set File > Preferences > Misc. Options > Misc/Clear history lists from search etc boxes on exit.
That's good to know, thank you. Now it's not so important since the operator now knows how to manipulate the keyboard :)

Seems as if there may be cases when one really does want a full report in the ESI – is there any way to prevent truncating of reports on very common words?

Not at present. I'll add this as a feature request.

Brandon,
Today I tried a Character String Search in the KJVSL (not the KJV) for "as εν" to see where and how many times the G1722 (en) is translated as "as". It showed no results. However, when I used ESI, I got this:

AS ( 8 )
Mr 4:4; Lu 2:43; 8:5,42; 9:18,29,33,34
THAT, AS (1)
Lu 5:1

Any idea what I did wrong on the first search?

Brandon,
Today I tried a Character String Search in the KJVSL (not the KJV) for "as εν"

I don't know why it wouldn't be working for you -- when I do the search I see 21 verses total (again some of the matches aren't exactly what you want since this kind of search isn't precise). I wonder if there may be a language encoding issue causing the character values to be messed up in the copy/typing process since you are using VirtualBox on a Mac?

Well, I just tried it by pasting in the εν from the Strong's Dictionary in SS6 rather than typing it in via my keyboard. It worked! Thanks. But, what's strange is that I then went back and typed the εν in, and that worked, too.

In any case, the ESI is better for this since I don't get any false positives. However, if it truncates the list, it would not be helpful. It just so happened that εν was high enough up on the "as" list in the ESI, that it worked. Thanks again for your help.

Back