Backing up SwordSearcher

SavedByGrace

I've been using e-Sword for many, many, many years. It's a good Bible software. But, every time my computer crashes, there goes all my highlighting, notes and prayer list. I just started to using the Daily Bible & Prayer module for SwordSearcher. It got me interested in SwordSearcher. I was wanting to know if SwordSearcher has backup capability. I know that Daily Bible & Prayer has.
My wife went home to be with the Lord Jesus Christ this past June 2013 and I've been spending more time studying. With her passing has made me focus more on the Lord Jesus Christ. I Love Him with all my heart and soul. I had an angel for 39 years. Thanks for listening about my wife.

Have a bless day

Sorry to hear about your wife. It is a great testimony that her passing has brought you closer to our Lord.

SwordSearcher stores its highlighting and user notes (books and commentaries you create) in the standard user documents folder. Any decent backup utility you use regularly should automatically include those critical files. If you do not use a regular backup utility, I would highly recommend it. Regardless of how you do backups, all you need to do is make sure that the SwordSearcher User Modules folder under your windows Documents folder is included in your backup routine.

This is from the SwordSearcher help file:

User module files are stored in your Windows documents folder. The exact name of this folder depends on your Windows configuration, but is usually Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. Backing up and restoring user modules is as simple as copying the files in this directory.

If you have backup software, this folder will probably be backed up automatically. Just make sure the folder is included in your backup routine, and you should be able to restore your user modules at a later time.

When you delete a user module with one of the delete functions on the User menu, the module file is moved to the Windows recycle bin. If you delete a user module in error, close SwordSearcher, then use the recycle bin's restore function. The file name is your module's abbreviation and "ss5book" or "ss5cmty."

Bible panel highlighting and underlining data is also stored in this location.

Advanced users who want more control over user module file storage can add additional Module File Locations in Preferences or even remove the default location.
Please let me know if you have any more questions, I am happy to help.

Thank you Brandon. That was most helpful. When I can afford to purchase SwordSearcher, I'm going to. But I'm kind of strapped at the present. I just hope I can soon. Being on SS makes it hard and plus my wife's check is no longer.

Thanks again and God Bless you for the work on the Bible as I know it's a hard job, but rewarding.

not to sound stupid, but since i run 2 systems on my desk it would be nice to have both computers having the same info as far as ss. so if i back ss up on a drive then i can open that drive, file on my other computer where it will give me ss as i have on my main computer?

not to sound stupid, but since i run 2 systems on my desk it would be nice to have both computers having the same info as far as ss. so if i back ss up on a drive then i can open that drive, file on my other computer where it will give me ss as i have on my main computer?

Just to be clear, when we're talking about "backing up SwordSearcher" in this thread we are referring to user modules and highlighting. If that's what you mean, what you want to do is synchronize your SwordSearcher User Modules on both computers (This is under your Documents folder). If you want to copy that folder to your external hard drive, and then copy that folder from the hard drive on to the other computer into the same location, you could do it that way. There are folder synchronization utilities available that could help, but this is easy to do manually.

If you have personal commentaries and books that you edit frequently, another option is to put all of your user modules into a folder that is automatically synced with a cloud service like DropBox or SkyDrive. This can get tricky and I don't suggest it for everyone, but the basics are outlined here. (Note that if you use SkyDrive, you have to be sure to make the module folder "available offline" or SwordSearcher will never see the files synced to SkyDrive.)

Just to be clear, when we're talking about "backing up SwordSearcher" in this thread we are referring to user modules and highlighting. If that's what you mean, what you want to do is synchronize your SwordSearcher User Modules on both computers (This is under your Documents folder). If you want to copy that folder to your external hard drive, and then copy that folder from the hard drive on to the other computer into the same location, you could do it that way. There are folder synchronization utilities available that could help, but this is easy to do manually.

If you have personal commentaries and books that you edit frequently, another option is to put all of your user modules into a folder that is automatically synced with a cloud service like DropBox or SkyDrive. This can get tricky and I don't suggest it for everyone, but the basics are outlined here. (Note that if you use SkyDrive, you have to be sure to make the module folder "available offline" or SwordSearcher will never see the files synced to SkyDrive.)

that is exactly what i am referring too:)

thanks!

Hi Brandon,
I have another question. e-Sword has an mobile app for apple products. I have android phone and tablet. Since S.S. is a fee base software, do you have plans to do mobile apps? And which system do you plan on supporting. I don't want to purchase S.S. and not be able to use it on my mobile units if you develop a mobile app.

Thanks & God Bless

I don't have any plans about mobile projects or products that I can announce. All I can really say is that your decision to buy SwordSearcher needs to be based on what the current product is that you would be purchasing. It would be a mistake for me to try to make any promises about future projects that I may or may not publish.

Hi Brandon,
I have another question. e-Sword has an mobile app for apple products. I have android phone and tablet. Since S.S. is a fee base software, do you have plans to do mobile apps? And which system do you plan on supporting. I don't want to purchase S.S. and not be able to use it on my mobile units if you develop a mobile app.
Thanks & God Bless

SwordSearcher is the "second" BEST thing..... After Salvation.
You know when you pray THE LORD about showing you: "what to do" ..."When to do it".... "Which path you should be taking'...???
WELL.....THIS will be your best of the best bet HOW to get there.... BELIEVE ME Savedbygrace.... I tried it,....few years later, I look back, and all I can say: What a beautiful ride LORD !
BE BLESSED.... this is no mistake...!

I don't have any plans about mobile projects or products that I can announce. All I can really say is that your decision to buy SwordSearcher needs to be based on what the current product is that you would be purchasing. It would be a mistake for me to try to make any promises about future projects that I may or may not publish.

Thank you for the info about using the cloud for synchronizing highlights and user modules. Somebody though asked me today if Swordsearcher will work on Windows tablets, and which type/brand of tablets.

Thank you for the info about using the cloud for synchronizing highlights and user modules. Somebody though asked me today if Swordsearcher will work on Windows tablets, and which type/brand of tablets.

SwordSearcher will work on Windows 8 tablets. It won't work on the reduced-feature "Windows RT" tablets.

Back