Steps on creating a user module using the keyboard

buckeyejim

Hi SS group, I am a new member, who is totally blind.
I use a screen reader called Jaws to read to me the computers screen content, menus, toolbars, Ext. I use just the keyboard, so if you could explain to me the step by step process of creating my own user modules I can figure out what to do on the keyboard. this program is a blessing from god and I want to thank Brandon stags and his family for providing this awesome program... jim Praise the lord...

There is a main menu item called USER which contains the commands for creating new modules.

For books, the process of adding and editing entries can be accomplished from the main BOOK menu. Screen-reading software might be able to read those menus. There are toolbar icons in the book and commentary panels for editing and adding entries in user modules but those may be more difficult to use with a screen reader.

Hi Jim, to use the keyboard to create a user book, use the Alt key to activate the menu, then type u for the User menu, then e to create a user book. A box will open with fields for you to type the name of your book. You need to press the Tab key twice to get to the first field, the long title of your book. Then press the Tab key again to move to the next field, which is for the short name of your book. This field only takes 9 characters and can't be the same as any other book that you already have. When you have typed the short name, press Enter and your book will be created.

Now press the Alt key to activate the menu, type k for the Book menu, then type a to add an entry for your book. A box will open with the field for you to type in the name of your entry. The entries are listed in alphabetical order, so if you want to add several entries and not in alphabetical order, put a number in front of the actual title, like 00, 01, etc. When you've typed your title, press Enter and the entry will be created and the editor will be automatically opened so you can add your content. Pressing Alt plus s will save what you've typed and close the editor.

To edit an entry, press Alt then type k, then type e. The entry will open in the editor, and the cursor will be at the top of the page. Press the Ctrl and End keys together to put the cursor at the end of your text so you can start typing.

If you need to find your book, press the Alt key, then type k, then type s to open the book selector, then type the long name of your book. Press Enter to go to your book.

I hope this helps. If you want to create a commentary, the steps are slightly different - let me know and I can put the steps down for you.

There is a main menu item called USER which contains the commands for creating new modules.

For books, the process of adding and editing entries can be accomplished from the main BOOK menu. Screen-reading software might be able to read those menus. There are toolbar icons in the book and commentary panels for editing and adding entries in user modules but those may be more difficult to use with a screen reader.
thanks Brandon, I have figured it out. Next question, How to edit a new entry without deleting the ariganal entry? When finishing the new entry, do I press just save, just close, or save and close when I am done adding a entry? Any help would be appreciated. I can see all the file menus. the various toolbars are a little tricky, and using the format menu tends to stop the SS program, I must then close it and open it again. Thanks again, this software is a blessing. Its Like Christmas in April to me...

Hi Jim, to use the keyboard to create a user book, use the Alt key to activate the menu, then type u for the User menu, then e to create a user book. A box will open with fields for you to type the name of your book. You need to press the Tab key twice to get to the first field, the long title of your book. Then press the Tab key again to move to the next field, which is for the short name of your book. This field only takes 9 characters and can't be the same as any other book that you already have. When you have typed the short name, press Enter and your book will be created.

Now press the Alt key to activate the menu, type k for the Book menu, then type a to add an entry for your book. A box will open with the field for you to type in the name of your entry. The entries are listed in alphabetical order, so if you want to add several entries and not in alphabetical order, put a number in front of the actual title, like 00, 01, etc. When you've typed your title, press Enter and the entry will be created and the editor will be automatically opened so you can add your content. Pressing Alt plus s will save what you've typed and close the editor.

To edit an entry, press Alt then type k, then type e. The entry will open in the editor, and the cursor will be at the top of the page. Press the Ctrl and End keys together to put the cursor at the end of your text so you can start typing.

If you need to find your book, press the Alt key, then type k, then type s to open the book selector, then type the long name of your book. Press Enter to go to your book.

I hope this helps. If you want to create a commentary, the steps are slightly different - let me know and I can put the steps down for you.
Thanks Marty: this was just what I was looking for. I figured out how to creat a book, but these steps will be much more easier to do and remember. I need to play with the add an entry some more. so far I keep losing my original entry when I press save, I will keep working on it. When I am ready to take on the creation of a commentary I will let you know. thanks and god bless for the detailed instructions I really appreciate it.

thanks Brandon, I have figured it out. Next question, How to edit a new entry without deleting the ariganal entry? When finishing the new entry, do I press just save, just close, or save and close when I am done adding a entry? Any help would be appreciated. I can see all the file menus. the various toolbars are a little tricky, and using the format menu tends to stop the SS program, I must then close it and open it again. Thanks again, this software is a blessing. Its Like Christmas in April to me...

When you go to edit an existing entry the text of the entry is loaded into an editor, and you can change it. The only cause I could think of that replaces the entire entry is if the text of the whole entry is selected in the editor and then replaced.

I usually use the "save and close" method because it saves a step. The save option can be used by itself to save progress while you are editing something long.

I do not know why using the format menu would stop SwordSearcher -- I wonder if there is a conflict of some kind with your screen reader.

so far I keep losing my original entry when I press save, I will keep working on it..
Your entry should not go anywhere when you press save. Brandon will have to address this - what version of SwordSearcher are you using?

When you go to edit an existing entry the text of the entry is loaded into an editor, and you can change it. The only cause I could think of that replaces the entire entry is if the text of the whole entry is selected in the editor and then replaced.

I usually use the "save and close" method because it saves a step. The save option can be used by itself to save progress while you are editing something long.

I do not know why using the format menu would stop SwordSearcher -- I wonder if there is a conflict of some kind with your screen reader.
Yes I am sure that Jaws my screen reader is causing some problems. But so far so good, I can still use most of the program just fine. I just have to experiment a little here and there, but all is great. thanks again for all your helpful answers. god bless...

Back