Bible in Margin

wsbones

Beta Tester
I think it would be handy to be able to put one or more Bibles (specifically KJVSL) in the margin links using a module set for controlling margin links. A ctrl-click would open up a clone panel for the specific verse. Multiple Bibles could be compared this way easily.

When one clicks on the tab for KJVSL, the desired verse may be in a different location in the panel or even off the screen depending on layout. I know you can compare 2 versions but it would be handy to compare multiple versions sometimes.

One can put Bibles into a module set but they don't show up in the margin area. Would that be an easy change?

I have often wanted to compare multiple versions, especially since I work in a non-English speaking country and have many non-English Bibles.

One can put Bibles into a module set but they don't show up in the margin area. Would that be an easy change?
Just to make sure I understand the request, it can be boiled down to:

You want to be able to ctrl-click somewhere near a verse to open a clone panel of that verse in a different Bible module, right?

Managing all of the features of the Bible panel (specifically the margin with support for footnotes and the highlighting etc) makes doing more than two columns of Bible text in the Bible panel a bit unwieldy. One alternative I am considering is a parallel-popup that shows just the verses in as many columns (modules) as you want, without the extra "chrome" of the Bible panel controls and options. Would a pop-up parallel window with configurable (checkmarked or something) columns be a good solution for your use case?

I just meant it would be nice to be able to ctrl-click on a Bible in the margin links like you can with commentaries and books.

Here's an example. If B_NIV were a Bible instead of a commentary I could ctrl-click to open a clone window starting at the verse.
I don't know of any way to have Bibles in the margin links at present other than make a commentary out of a user-Bible.

upload_2017-7-27_16-51-27.png

I think a pop up window to compare multiple, selected versions would be a very good feature. That is better than what I was getting at with my previous request.

I have a question for you wsbones. I see you have NIV shown in your screenshot above. I would love to have a couple more modern translations for reference. It just helps me understand the verse better sometimes. There's also a couple Spanish translations I would like to have that aren't available in SS. What you are suggesting in your above posts would be a great enhancement. Anyway, how did you get the NIV into a commentary module? Did you make that up yourself or is it available somewhere? Thank you!

I had the text from another s/w package I own. Then I used Forge and compiled it as a commentary. I can't distribute it unfortunately.

I had the text from another s/w package I own. Then I used Forge and compiled it as a commentary. I can't distribute it unfortunately.
Is it quite a job to use Forge and do that or is it fairly straight forward?

Is it quite a job to use Forge and do that or is it fairly straight forward?

Here are some details: https://www.swordsearcher.com/forge/

It's not hard, but it isn't something that can be done casually. Especially if you are trying to convert formats--you will probably have to do some coding yourself to adjust the text input for Forge. Forge isn't designed for format shifting.

Back