Extending Forge

Jerry

Beta Tester
Brandon -

I could be wrong, but I believe at one time you mentioned possibly enhancing Forge to import ThML files directly.

Along the same lines is the SWORD project at http://www.crosswire.org/sword. SWORD modules are open source and can be used freely in any Bible software that supports them. Now, nearly every single SWORD module that is of real value is already a native SwordSearcher module, so there may not be too much incentive. The exception would be some particular Bible translations such as NET and ESV that might help bridge the gap between your convictions and mine on Bible versions. :)

Has there been any more thoughts on extending Forge along these lines?

Thanks.

Jerry

I still plan on THTML support in Forge. However, I received so few requests for it that other projects took priority. As for supporting the SWORD format, I'll have to look into it -- I am not interested in developing open source software, and there may be licensing issues involved in supporting their format in that regard.

Support for ThML would be a wonderful idea! I don't know how many CCEL works are in ThML already but I think it is rather extensive. It surprises me to hear there is little interest. It seems so many SS users are very active in making user modules out of the types of works so numerous in the CCEL library. I generally use their works in the PDF, HTML or plain text format but these have their obvious limitations. It is a library that most cannot hope to touch anywhere else without great expense. Theirs is free for the taking (They request optional donations for some formats).

Well, for what ever it might be worth, I'll through my hat in for ThML support.

I still plan on THTML support in Forge. However, I received so few requests for it that other projects took priority. As for supporting the SWORD format, I'll have to look into it -- I am not interested in developing open source software, and there may be licensing issues involved in supporting their format in that regard.

Do you ever receive requests to support e-Sword's format (which is basically an Access database)? Let me add to them, or be the first, whatever the case may be.

A couple of the other smaller Bible software packages have come out with this capability and it extends their library considerably.

Thanks for considering.

Jerry

A couple of the other smaller Bible software packages have come out with this capability and it extends their library considerably.

I hate to get into details about this, but there are legal issues to consider. I can't create tools for users that are specifically designed to violate license terms of other software owners. "Other programs" might be written by hobbyists or people in countries with laws less strict than our DMCA. :roll:

I hate to get into details about this, but there are legal issues to consider. I can't create tools for users that are specifically designed to violate license terms of other software owners. "Other programs" might be written by hobbyists or people in countries with laws less strict than our DMCA. :roll:

Sure, but just for the record that was not my intent. There are hundreds of user-created e-Sword resources from public-domain sources. In addition, the other programs that I have used with this capability have both honored license restrictions by not importing or working with any e-Sword resource that is not freely available and/or has a copyright license associated with it. Whether that is still legal or not, I have no idea.

In any case, I certainly I understand if you don't want to get into that area. But I don't want anyone to misconstrue my thought process either. :)

Thanks.

I'm glad that you've consistently looked for God-honoring ways to extend the reach and use of SS. (This is not intended as a "slam" of Jerry's comments; just a positive observation.)

Bro Jerry,

I understand and your clarification is not offensive. :) I'll be contacting you privately momentarily.

Update: Jerry and others sent me some public domain e-Sword modules to look at and I was able to build a conversion tool. I am happy to report I did not have to do any "reverse engineering" since they are nothing more than MS Access database files and can be opened with Microsoft Office. I built a conversion tool that simply uses Microsoft's database engine (part of Windows) to export the content of the modules into Forge input text format.

es2f does not break password protection on databases and should only be used on your own modules or modules specifically known to be public domain.

See the es2f thread for more details.

Update: Jerry and others sent me some public domain e-Sword modules to look at and I was able to build a conversion tool. I am happy to report I did not have to do any "reverse engineering" since they are nothing more than MS Access database files and can be opened with Microsoft Office. I built a conversion tool that simply uses Microsoft's database engine (part of Windows) to export the content of the modules into Forge input text format.

es2f does not break password protection on databases and should only be used on your own modules or modules specifically known to be public domain.

See the es2f thread for more details.

Cool. Another great way to extend the usefulness of SS.

Is there still the possibility of THTML support in Forge? I know you are a busy man Brandon ;) but there ARE lots of great public domain resources in THTML! I think it would be a great tool!

Just my 2 cents.

Is there still the possibility of THTML support in Forge? I know you are a busy man Brandon ;) but there ARE lots of great public domain resources in THTML! I think it would be a great tool!

Just my 2 cents.

Interest in THTML has been fairly minimal. And as I understand it, the largest provider of THTML documents is no longer providing them free of charge anyway. It's still something I may do, but it's a low priority at this time.

Back