Concurrent 6.0 and 5.5 installations?

Eric

Beta Tester
Hi, Brandon,
Would it be possible to run 6.0 and 5.5 at the same time? If so, can you explain how best to do it? I depend so much on 5.5 and the foreign-language stuff I do with it, that I'm a little hesitant to jump in with both feet until I get the new workflows worked out. Thanks! (Of course, my disks haven't come yet, so I can't do anything with 6.0 yet.)

Hi, Brandon,
Would it be possible to run 6.0 and 5.5 at the same time? If so, can you explain how best to do it? I depend so much on 5.5 and the foreign-language stuff I do with it, that I'm a little hesitant to jump in with both feet until I get the new workflows worked out. Thanks! (Of course, my disks haven't come yet, so I can't do anything with 6.0 yet.)

Sorry, 6.0 won't install separately from 5.5. It's a direct upgrade installation if you already have 5.x installed.

You should not experience problems with your existing modules. SS 6 was designed to ensure a smooth upgrade for people even with third-party modules installed/created.

If you *really* need to have both 5.x and 6.x concurrent on your system, you could create a new folder on your hard drive and manually copy the SwordSearcher program files from 5.x into that folder before installing 6.0. You could make a shortcut to the executable in the copied folder. I don't really recommend this, but it would work. Keep in mind that SS5 and SS6 use the same user module storage location.

I still don't like that "feature."

What practical difficulties does it represent for you? Do you need to be able to have version 5 and version 6 installed and using separate user module sets? I'm afraid I don't understand.

What practical difficulties does it represent for you? Do you need to be able to have version 5 and version 6 installed and using separate user module sets? I'm afraid I don't understand.

Sorry. No, the fact that Windows forces you to have a "SwordSearcher User Modules" folder by default in the My Docs folder.

Just a personal preference. I'll live.

Sorry. No, the fact that Windows forces you to have a "SwordSearcher User Modules" folder by default in the My Docs folder.

Just a personal preference. I'll live.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Separation of user data from program files is a system security issue as well as a support one (having a standard location that is automatically included in any backup routine has saved a lot of users from losing their data). SwordSearcher does abide by the operating system development guidelines in this area.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that SwordSearcher will read user modules from a User subfolder in the Program Files\SwordSearcher folder, but starting with Windows Vista and continuing into Windows 7, using this location for editable modules requires users to either disable important security features of the operating system or change file access parameters, so I don't recommend it -- but it can be done.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Separation of user data from program files is a system security issue as well as a support one (having a standard location that is automatically included in any backup routine has saved a lot of users from losing their data). SwordSearcher does abide by the operating system development guidelines in this area.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that SwordSearcher will read user modules from a User subfolder in the Program Files\SwordSearcher folder, but starting with Windows Vista and continuing into Windows 7, using this location for editable modules requires users to either disable important security features of the operating system or change file access parameters, so I don't recommend it -- but it can be done.

Another problem with manually putting data in the program files directory under Vista is that it will copy the data to a hidden location on disk so you have 2 copies. I found this out when I put several gigabytes of audio and pictures into the c:\program files (x86) directory and found duplicate copies in C:\Users\wsbones\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bible\AUDIO\AV. Thus wasting several gigabytes of data.

If the data is placed in program files by an installer, it does not do the copy but if you do it manually, it does.

Back