Re. Windows 10

5UKM

Windows 10 is now offered for free. Would SS work with it ? Would there be any advantages as against my current Windows 7 ?

The current version of SwordSearcher works fine with the current technical preview of Windows 10.

Windows 10 is not complete yet, it is still only a technical preview. Whether or not the upgrade will be a good one for you over Windows 7 I cannot say. Personally, I like Windows 8 over Windows 7 (I must be one of the few) and from what I have seen of Windows 10, I like the changes in it, too, though I have not spent a whole lot of time with it yet.

The current version of SwordSearcher works fine with the current technical preview of Windows 10.

Windows 10 is not complete yet, it is still only a technical preview. Whether or not the upgrade will be a good one for you over Windows 7 I cannot say. Personally, I like Windows 8 over Windows 7 (I must be one of the few) and from what I have seen of Windows 10, I like the changes in it, too, though I have not spent a whole lot of time with it yet.
I like windows 8.1 also. It's very useable.

I find it very interesting that Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 from even Windows 7. Why? They have never done that in the past. It is a major deviation from what they have always done in the past and represents probably Billions of dollars. Why?

Microsoft takes your privacy seriously.
Microsoft takes your privacy, seriously. ;)

Microsoft makes most of their consumer Windows sales through OEM channels. Every PC sold with Windows has the cost of Windows in the price. Those won't be free.

I think they want to avoid having Windows 7 turn into the next Windows XP. It's costly for Microsoft to continue to provide support for such old operating systems and this is one way to get people moving forward. They will still be selling millions of new licenses through OEM channels.

Also, their income from consumer Windows has been going down while their enterprise income has been increasing.

I upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 10. SwordSearcher works GREAT on it. I have had no problems at all in the transition. I believe I will upgrade my Windows 7 computers as well. I like it.

I was trying to save a user note when I received the application error popup. I couldn't send a bug report or save one either. I had just opened SS shortly after changing the control panel setting for indexing the hard drive. I opened the note and started to type but couldn't save it without the bug report. I closed SS and tried again with the same result. I don't know if this is the first note I edited since upgrading but it may be.

I used EditPad editor and saved a short file just to see if anything else was affected. No problem. I will reboot and try again with SS.

Reboot with same problem. Here's a snippet of the report. I couldn't save or send it otherwise.

upload_2015-8-9_11-34-9.png
upload_2015-8-9_11-36-31.png

Thanks, Bill. I have managed to reproduce this (or at least something very similar) so I will be working on this today.

Hotfix 3 installed fine and there have been no problems, but I haven't run it through all its paces... :)

I upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 10. SwordSearcher works GREAT on it. I have had no problems at all in the transition. I believe I will upgrade my Windows 7 computers as well. I like it.
I upgraded my windows 7 upto windows 10, Sword-searcher works great and so does all my other programs. including my jaws screen reader. thank you SS...

Ctrl Shift zero doesn't work for setting a bookmark in Windows 10. There was a post about fixing this in Vista but I can't seem to find the right setting in win10 to free up the default use of that key combination.

Ctrl Shift zero doesn't work for setting a bookmark in Windows 10. There was a post about fixing this in Vista but I can't seem to find the right setting in win10 to free up the default use of that key combination.
I just found the location to fix this under control panel/all control panel items/language/advanced settings. Change the keys there to "none"
upload_2015-8-22_23-4-30.png

I just found the location to fix this under control panel/all control panel items/language/advanced settings. Change the keys there to "none"
View attachment 601
Thanks, Bill! Your post helped me re-set the keyboard shortcuts that had stopped working in another program. Those updates can really mess things up! :)

Windows 10 is now offered for free. Would SS work with it ? Would there be any advantages as against my current Windows 7 ?
I started Windows 10 with an early preview edition and now have the latest version. SwordSearcher has worked flawlessly through all of this process.

I decided to go back to Win 8.1. I have been having a lot of trouble with the Win 10 upgrade (and updates). I even tried a clean install but that kept crashing probably due to drivers. My backup software that allowed me to clone a disk would no longer work and several other problems with search and indexing were also troubling.

I had good luck with Linux Mint 17.2 and SS (using Wine and Winetricks) on my old 64 bit HP PC, so I thought I would try it on my relatively new Toshiba p75-a7200. I could not get SS to run using the method described by Michael Rankin so I set that idea aside too. I really like Linux but I really need SS so finally, everything is again working on 8.1. :)

I'll probably wait until I get a new PC for Win 10.

I decided to go back to Win 8.1. I have been having a lot of trouble with the Win 10 upgrade (and updates). I even tried a clean install but that kept crashing probably due to drivers. My backup software that allowed me to clone a disk would no longer work and several other problems with search and indexing were also troubling.

I had good luck with Linux Mint 17.2 and SS (using Wine and Winetricks) on my old 64 bit HP PC, so I thought I would try it on my relatively new Toshiba p75-a7200. I could not get SS to run using the method described by Michael Rankin so I set that idea aside too. I really like Linux but I really need SS so finally, everything is again working on 8.1. :)

I'll probably wait until I get a new PC for Win 10.

I've debated going back to Windows 8.1. I don't notice a big difference, but did have to re-install one of my programs - and the updates are messing me up when I have a big project. I don't use the computer like you do, Bill, so I'll probably just deal with the little annoyances. Probably by the time I find any real problems, it will be too late to revert. (It might be too late now...)

W 10 ain't working for me at all. Installed on me older PC, and bugs and bugs, loosing something new every week.
I'll keep me W 8.1 on me new PC for as long as W 10 ain't doin' better.
And surely re-install W 8.1 back on me older pc.....for now.

Back