Is there a limit to the number of entries (Topics) you can have in a book?

IamKJVonly

I'm sorry if the answer is already there as I'm not sure how to word such a search.

When you access a book (or dictionary) there is a drop down list of the topics in the book so you can select the topic you want.

I'm worried that the books and dictionaries may have a limited number of entries in them. Especially Webster's dictionary which is broken up into 2 parts.

I'm want to make a book called "My Topics" which I can imagine after several years will have thousands upon thousands of entries.

Before I commit to this I would like to know if in a year or two I will run into problems. Like I said Webster's dictionary, which is broken up into 2 parts, scares me.

Also is there a limit to the size of a topic?.

I really fallen in love with Swordsearcher and want to move all my bible studies from over the past 25 years into one book so they are all easily accessible and in one place.

Thanks for any information you can give me as I can see where having all my topics in one book will be a great asset for me.

Dave

There is no practical limit to the size of a book entry.

The Webster's dictionary is split into two volumes for legacy reasons -- when it was original added to the library, Windows 98 couldn't show a list box with more than about 31,000 entries, so it had to be divided. In the next release of SwordSearcher it will be a single volume.

For user books there is a limit of 65,535 entries in a book. This is really quite a large number -- none of the Encyclopedias in SwordSearcher even come close to hitting this limit -- but I can say that this limitation will eventually be removed and it will be possible to go beyond that number of entries in the future.

To give you an idea, one of the largest Biblical encyclopedias ever published is the McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia. It's about 49,000 entries large. That's a compilation of hundreds of different authors. You'd have to be extremely prolific to approach it as a single writer, but the point is that SwordSearcher has no trouble with it as a single book module. Regardless, the 65,535 entry limit will be removed (it has to do with the memory size of the variables used to store index offsets to the entries).

Thanks Brandon

The information is very helpful. Especially hearing that the number will be increased. I know that at my age I may never reach 65,000 but I can hope it will happening over the years because my book of topics will be more like dictionary and knowing there are no limitations gives me the peace of mind to put as many entries as I want.

Thanks
Dave

PS: Thanks for the information about Webster's dictionary it's good to know; especially that it's coming out in 1 book in the future.

Back