Not finding all hits in English-Strong's Indexer

Eric

Beta Tester
Maybe I am doing something incorrectly. Maybe someone can show what it is :).

In the English-Strong's Indexer I searched the NT for "unto". I was specifically wanting to see all the times επι (G1909) is translated with "unto" in the KJV.

The verse that got me thinking about it was 1Th 4:7. But when I ran the English-Strong's Indexer, I was surprised to find that there were only three hits, all in Matthew, and the 1Th 4:7 hit wasn't present. Made me wonder either what I'm doing wrong or if there are other hits that aren't showing up.

Edit: see also 2Ti 2:16, which has επι as "unto" in KJV.
Edit2: see also εν (G1722). It is translated "unto" in 1Th 4:7, but it's not in that English-Strong's Indexer list, either (that I can see).

1Th 4_7 KJVSL.jpg
English-Strong's Indexer (NT - "unto").jpg

Last edited:
It's not a bug, it's a limitation. At the very top of your search results in the ESI it should say this:

"Results truncated. Try a less common word."

I'll make a note to look at this and see if the limits are really necessary any more.

OK, thanks, Brandon. I can dig around for a while and get the same needed info by just searching for all instances of G1909 from the Strong's dictionary and looking for when it's translated as "unto". I just thought this method of using the ESI would make it easier since επι̍ has so many hits … Now that I think of it, I may have run into this before and you explained it as a limitation. If so, sorry to have brought it up again.

Brandon, I was thinking about this. If the limits are still needed programmatically, is there some other way to get what I want without manual sifting? How about this: F2 search of the KJV (which includes the KJVSL) with "unto g1909" in the search field (in that order) and "Find verses with the exact PHRASE specified" checked? That gives me 45 hits, and it seems to be all of them. I typically have always searched KJV for "Strong's# KJVword" in that order and when PHRASE searching was turned on, I never got any hits. Just today it occurred to me to reverse the order, and it seems to work! Please let me know if you think, based on how you know it works under the hood, if I'm getting all relevant hits. Thanks!
unto + G1909 with PHRASE seraching.jpg

That will work to give you the strong's number and English word in that order in the KJVSL, yes.

Back