• The SwordSearcher module repository on this forum contains listings and downloads of Bible study material for use with SwordSearcher Bible Software. To use the downloads on this site, you must have SwordSearcher installed on your computer, and you need to log in to the forum.
Module icon

How to post a SwordSearcher module here [INFO]
If you want to share your SwordSearcher user module, you can!

NOTE THAT ALL MODULES POSTED HERE MUST BE REVIEWED BEFORE THEY GO LIVE. THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE WEEKS TO MONTHS. IF YOU WISH YOUR MODULE TO BE AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY, YOU SHOULD HOST IT ON YOUR OWN WEBSITE. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

Sharing SwordSearcher user modules:

Sharing your personal content is as easy as copying the .ss5book or .ss5cmty file from your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder. Likewise, using someone else's user-created module just means copying their file into that same location on your hard drive and starting SwordSearcher.

So, if you create a user commentary with the abbreviation "abc1234," all you have to do is share the "abc1234.ss5cmty" module file that is in your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder.

If you want to post a user module in the module repository:

Here are some guidelines to follow:
  • Content submitted must not violate someone's copyright. It doesn't matter what you've heard somewhere else: if you didn't write it yourself, and it was published some time after 1930 (or thereabouts), you need direct permission from the copyright holder to share it.
  • Use a reasonably unique module abbreviation. Modules such as "MyNotes" won't be accepted. A good convention I sometimes use is the author's initials followed by an abbreviation of the title. For example, my topical notes could be called "blsTopical" (BLS being my name initals).
  • Try to avoid using hard-coded font sizes or font types in your module text. When you do, it overrides the global font settings that users have set for their display in SwordSearcher.
  • Try to avoid making modules that only have a single entry. There are times where this is acceptable, but usually this is undesirable and makes peoples' SwordSearcher libraries less manageable. If you are compiling articles and writings by a particular author, it is usually better to make one book module with many different entries than a book module for each article.
If that all makes sense, you can submit a module here by following these steps:
  1. Go to the module repository and browse to the correct category, such as "books."
  2. Click "Add Module" at the top-right.
  3. Make a good title and description. Perhaps include an excerpt.
  4. Close SwordSearcher if it is open, and then upload your module with the upload button.
    • SwordSearcher locks user modules when it is open and the upload will fail if you try to upload it while SwordSearcher has it open.
    • If your module is less than a megabyte in size, you can just upload the .ss5book or .ss5cmty file. This is preferred.
    • If your module is larger than a megabyte, you should ZIP it first.
    • Do not upload .exe files unless you have talked to me about it first. They will not be accepted.
    • If you get a mysterious error when you try to upload: did you exit SwordSearcher first? :)
  5. Submit your module resource.
If you don't see the "Add Module" button:
If you are a new forum member and/or do not have any posts, the Add Module function will not be available. This is to protect the forum from spam. Once you have participated in the forum my replying to a thread (and your post passes moderation), your account will get Module posting privileges. If you would like to post modules but have no desire to write other forum posts, just send me an email with your forum user name and I will manually approve your account to post modules.​

Your module posting will go through moderation; it will not be visible until it is confirmed. Please note that this is a private service and the decision whether or not to host a module file here rests solely with me. If you have any questions just ask.

The next level: Using Forge to build read-only modules

If you want to submit module files that are not editable, you'll need to use Forge to build them. See the Forge web page for details. You can export a module from SwordSearcher as a Forge input file on the User menu, then compile a read-only module with Forge. Also, if you have some programming ability, Forge is a great way to quickly build large modules from source material. (Forge is also the only way to make Bible modules, as those can't be edited from within SwordSearcher.) A Forge tutorial is beyond the scope of this post.

Final guidelines:

Include the full author name and original publication date. Do not upload copyrighted material for which you do not have direct and explicit permission to upload from the copyright holder.

Multiple modules from the same material will not be approved -- for example, multiple single-entry book modules, or multiple commentary modules from the same authors. Consolidate all material into single-module works. For example, an author's commentaries on different books of the Bible need to all be combined to a single module. Separate modules for separate volumes create clutter in users' libraries.

Please do not post more than a couple of modules at a time. Please wait until your previous postings have been approved or rejected before posting new module uploads.

NOTE THAT ALL MODULES POSTED HERE MUST BE REVIEWED BEFORE THEY GO LIVE. THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE WEEKS TO MONTHS. IF YOU WISH YOUR MODULE TO BE AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY, YOU SHOULD HOST IT ON YOUR OWN WEBSITE. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.
Back