5.2 released

Re: SwordSearcher 5.2 Released

Looks good! I like the Red letter addition.

What does this mean: Show Margin Area toggle toolbar button. I clicked it, but I am not sure what it did...

I also appreciate having all the tabs in a single line, with an arrow you can click on the side to advance the line or bring up all the tabs to choose what one you want. The tabs always took a lot of space.

As far as getting an upgrade with the modules, do you take checks? Money orders? All the times I have ordered this program from you, I always got my friend to order it on her credit card and I would pay for it (or we would share the cost) (mostly multiple copies to give away to preachers/missionaries coming through our church).

I do not have the resources to order multiple copies right now - but would certainly like to upgrade my program - the last order we got was 5.0 - which was disappointing as you had just come out with the upgrade. So I wanted to wait until the next upgrade and get it for myself. (P.S. that's one of the reasons I love your Bible program so much - I don't need to use anything else, as you keep adding new modules and making it better!)

I have personal checks, and am willing to use a money order if needed. What would be the difference in cost/shipping, seeing as I am from that cold country to the North of you? If you want, you could email me if you'd prefer. jbouey@hotmail.com

If I order the SwordSearcher Deluxe Edition CD-ROM, not the upgrade, will I get version 5.2?

If I order the SwordSearcher Deluxe Edition CD-ROM, not the upgrade, will I get version 5.2?

Yes; we always ship the latest version.

I do not have the resources to order multiple copies right now - but would certainly like to upgrade my program - the last order we got was 5.0 - which was disappointing as you had just come out with the upgrade. So I wanted to wait until the next upgrade and get it for myself.

I was just thinking, this part might have come across wrong. I didn't mean that Brandon didn't ship me out the latest version - just that I had poor timing on my end and just received version 5.0 by the time 5.1 was released. I was disappointed in myself and my timing, because I thought: if I had just waited a little longer, I could have had the next version with a lot more resources.

And I am VERY satisfied in version 5.+. The online upgrades give a few new features and make the program run smoother. Looking forward to ordering an upgrade with the added resources too. God bless.

And I am VERY satisfied in version 5.+. The online upgrades give a few new features and make the program run smoother. Looking forward to ordering an upgrade with the added resources too. God bless.

There is no way to avoid the problem of someone getting the latest version right before a new release -- unless a software company puts its business on hold every time new development begins, there's no avoiding it.

However, we keep a record of recent orders as a new version is being produced at the CD factory. Anyone who orders the software during that period should receive an email with a free complete upgrade. Anyone who recently ordered 5.1 and didn't receive that email should send me a message and I'll look into it.

Thank you Mr. Staggs for another great update to SwordSearcher. I just placed the order for SS5.2 on Sunday, Oct 21st. I received my copy on Wednesday, Oct 24th. Very prompt order processing and fulfillment.

I use Linux exclusively and am please to report that, like each release before that I have purchased from you, SS5.2 also runs very nicely on Linux with Wine (Currently Kubuntu 7.10, but other distros have worked well also). Only very minor issues that are Wine related prevent SS5.2 from running perfectly on my Linux box.

I am very fond of the new default layout. The Bible pane feels much more natural on the left occupying the full height of the working window. I am not sure why but the prior layout with the Bible to the right and above the commentaries always felt to me forced and strained. My favorite and most used feature has always been the Alt-G hotkey to quickly look up a verse. It's text box is given a new home on the left most position of the toolbar and this too is a more natural feeling layout enhancement. The detachable panes is a very nice touch as well. Very minor changes perhaps, but these and other small changes really add to the intuitiveness and flexibility of the interface.

The Search features have been really work over. English stemming, KJV Words of Christ search, Find in active pane (though I would still like to stuff the ballot box for an iterative search in the active pane and regular expressions in in the advanced search dialogs ;) ). All are very practical, useful refinements.

The new library resources are also very nice. Most especially to me Calvin's Commentaries.

Thank you again for another very valuable release of SwordSearcher and for your generous upgrade policy.

In Christ Jesus,
Danny Luker

Thank you again for another very valuable release of SwordSearcher and for your generous upgrade policy.

Thank you for such a kind post!

I use Linux exclusively and am please to report that, like each release before that I have purchased from you, SS5.2 also runs very nicely on Linux with Wine (Currently Kubuntu 7.10, but other distros have worked well also). Only very minor issues that are Wine related prevent SS5.2 from running perfectly on my Linux box.
In Christ Jesus,
Danny Luker

I just registered on this forum, though I have been a long time user of Swordsearcher. I switched over to Linux several months ago (Kubuntu 7.10, the alphas, betas and now the official release). I have tried the different Linux Bible apps, but found that none could compare to Swordseacher. Web based apps did not cut it.

So, yesterday I had the realization that I should try installing Sworsearcher 5 with Wine. I updated to the 5.2 program, and it is running flawlessly as I can tell.

Needless to say, I will be ordering the CD soon.

Brandon, your work has been stellar, and continues to be that way.

God Bless
Bob Picard

Only very minor issues that are Wine related prevent SS5.2 from running perfectly on my Linux box.

Danny Luker

What minor issues are you seeing? I would like to see if I have the same issues. I am running PCLinuxOS 2007 with Wine-0.9.45 and this was my best install, even automatically created the link and put the icon on the desktop for me.

What minor issues are you seeing? I would like to see if I have the same issues. I am running PCLinuxOS 2007 with Wine-0.9.45 and this was my best install, even automatically created the link and put the icon on the desktop for me.

Hello Mr. Rankin,

* During the install I had to create a soft link to the Fonts directory. Windows file system is not case sensitive (Linux is) and on my Wine install the the fonts directory is lower case. The SwordSearcher install script was attempting to install in the Fonts dir but I only had a fonts dir.

* Greek fonts do not render in the KJVSL Bible Text or in Strongs Greek. They appear as some other English font. I have fiddled with this a bit but have not come up with any solution. Hebrew fonts render beautifully. The Koinm__.ttf font seems to be what it is looking for and it is in the fonts dir. Registry has an entry pointing to the correct dir. I have not attacked this too aggressively since I don't read greek anyway but I _would_ like to see this work properly. (NOTE: I had this problem on version 4.8 also)

* Strongs popups in the KJVSL Bible for the Greek show the definition sometimes, and not at other times. May be related in some way to the previous problem. All definitions show fine in the actual Strong's Lexicons. (I did NOT have this problem in 4.8 ).

I think the issue with the Greek font may be somehow linked to a bug in the way Wine searches the registry. (But than again if you are not having such an issue it may be the Ubuntu packaged Wine and not Wine proper.
) When I Ctrl-F in regedit for Koinm__.ttf regedit hits on some other font that does not match any of the text I told it to look for. Looking about in the area of the hit I find the proper entry ten or twelve keys away. This gives me an idea. I think when I get home I may look at this a little closer.

That is all I can remember at this moment. I am not in front of my machine right now and my memory is even weaker than my wit.:???:

Wine 0.9.46 on Kubuntu 7.10 (KDE Desktop) on a IBM T40 notebook.

During the install I get links and menu entries also. But I changed the link info to suit me and it broke whatever magic Wine uses to display the icon :?. So I ended up extracting the icon from the executable into the SwordSearcher dir and pointing to it instead. ;-)

Hello Mr. Picard,

Welcome to Linux! You are right about the other Open Source Bible study programs. They are nice in their own regard but pale compared to SwordSearcher.

You and I should be seeing about the same install. Of course you may be much better at this than I. :razz: Though as far as I am concerned SS5.2 is working flawlessly since I don't read Greek.:lol:

This is really great!! We may have to start a Linux Thread !! :lol: -- Just kidding.

Your's in Christ Jesus,
Danny

I'm not sure why you would be having trouble with Greek text in the KJVSL since I'm not using Linux. But just in case it helps: the KJVSL and Strong's use the Windows Symbol font to display Greek characters. This comes standard on Windows installation, but perhaps for WINE you need to add it?

* During the install I had to create a soft link to the Fonts directory. Windows file system is not case sensitive (Linux is) and on my Wine install the the fonts directory is lower case. The SwordSearcher install script was attempting to install in the Fonts dir but I only had a fonts dir.

Since your running WINE, the case should not make a difference. I did not have this issue and my Linux font directory is all in lower case. It was most likely tring to install them in the c/windows/fonts directory found in ~/.wine. Did you actually get an error during the install?

* Greek fonts do not render in the KJVSL Bible Text or in Strongs Greek. They appear as some other English font. I have fiddled with this a bit but have not come up with any solution. Hebrew fonts render beautifully. The Koinm__.ttf font seems to be what it is looking for and it is in the fonts dir. Registry has an entry pointing to the correct dir. I have not attacked this too aggressively since I don't read greek anyway but I _would_ like to see this work properly. (NOTE: I had this problem on version 4.8 also)

Install the webcore-fonts package. I use PCLinuxOS, but I'm sure Kubuntu must have it. If not you can probably find them on freshmeat.net. This package used to be known as msfonts, but for reasons not spoken the name has been changed. It contains the MS fonts you will need. Don't tell anyone, but I always liked MS fonts, they do a nice job with fonts and I always make sure I install them whenever I install a new distro.

* Strongs popups in the KJVSL Bible for the Greek show the definition sometimes, and not at other times. May be related in some way to the previous problem. All definitions show fine in the actual Strong's Lexicons. (I did NOT have this problem in 4.8 ).

Not sure why this is happening, try the webcore-fonts and see if it helps. You can also check at winehq to see if your WINE configuration is correct. If it wasn't I would think someone using Kubuntu would have already figured that out.

I'm not sure why you would be having trouble with Greek text in the KJVSL since I'm not using Linux.

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion. I was not mentioning these issues to request help or support. I know that you do not support Linux and if it didn't work at all I would accept full responsibility an in no way expect any support. I was only responding to Mr. Rankin. I probably should have replied in a private note to prevent any possible misunderstandings. I am sorry.

But just in case it helps: the KJVSL and Strong's use the Windows Symbol font to display Greek characters. This comes standard on Windows installation, but perhaps for WINE you need to add it?
This does help and thank you. The installer installs BasicHeb.ttf and Koinm__.ttf so I made (what now appears to be a bad) assumption that the Koinm__.ttf was the font used for the Greek.

Now I know better where to look for the problem.

Your's in Christ,
Danny

Since your running WINE, the case should not make a difference. I did not have this issue and my Linux font directory is all in lower case. It was most likely tring to install them in the c/windows/fonts directory found in ~/.wine. Did you actually get an error during the install?

I did get an error. During unpacking, I believe, it said it could not unpack a resource. This for the BasicHeb.ttf. I thought of the caps/lower case issue and quickly created a soft link for Font pointing to font, clicked 'Try Again' and it continued without a hitch installing both font files. However, you are correct that it shouldn't matter. I just wiped the whole install and started from scratch. I got the same errors but I clicked on 'Ignore' (once for each font) expecting it to proceed without installing the fonts. But as it turns out both fonts were placed in the dir anyway.

Install the webcore-fonts package. I use PCLinuxOS, but I'm sure Kubuntu must have it. If not you can probably find them on freshmeat.net.

Thanks ... this did fix the Strong's definition window issue, but I still have no Greek font. I may fiddle with it some more but I don't consider not having the Greek a detriment.

Thank you so much for your input.

Your's in Jesus Christ,
Danny

But just in case it helps: the KJVSL and Strong's use the Windows Symbol font to display Greek characters.

I now have Greek! I still can't read it however. :-D I was always chase the wrong problem thinking that the Koinm__.ttf was the font I needed. I am not the brightest crayon in the box. But since you straitened me out it was but a few minutes fix.

Thank you,
Danny

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion. I was not mentioning these issues to request help or support.

Oh, no worries at all; nothing to apologize for. I'm glad it's working for you now!

Just FYI, I moved the discussion portion of this thread to the General group.

Back