Audio Bible Support in SwordSearcher (Updated Nov 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
This information is now obsolete. Unfortunately, AMG Publishers no longer publishes a suitable set of audio Bible MP3 files for use with SwordSearcher. I'm leaving this here for informational purposes for users who may have purchased the files in the past.

---> Go to the updated audio Bible support thread here. <----

How to integrate Alexander Scourby's KJV narration audio into SwordSearcher from AMG Publishers digital file downloads, with full verse-by-verse, highlighted, scrolling playback support.

These instructions are current as of November 2014. It seems that the CD-ROM set I have been recommending from Amazon has not been available for some time. Even AMG does not appear to be stocking it on their web page. But there is a better option now!

This is a tutorial explaining how you can add the Scourby KJV narration MP3 Bible from AMG Publishers into SwordSearcher. See the SwordSearcher manual for some simple background information.

You can skip having to find a CD-ROM set of the Scourby MP3s from AMG publishers by going directly to their website and ordering the digital downloads from this page:

http://www.amgpublishers.com/main/index.cfm?do=view&subdo=detail&isbn13=AMGASKJVCB

(Or go to their home page and do a search for the product identifier AMGASKJVCB).

Please, remember that SwordSearcher and AMG are not related or partnered in any way. As is described in the SwordSearcher manual, SwordSearcher does not contain Bible audio. It acts as an MP3 player for files you must legally obtain for yourself. This tutorial suggests how you can purchase a copy of the Scourby KJV narration that is ideally suited for integration into SwordSearcher.

This is what it should look like:

2014-11-25_8-29-29.png

AMG requires that you create an account to make the purchase. After you complete the purchase process, you will receive instructions from them on where to download your files. For me, this is what it looked like after I made the purchase and navigated to "my digital library".

2014-11-25_8-37-32.png

After clicking DOWNLOAD you should see a list of zip files. It turns out that these files contain the same MP3 files that the CD-ROM set had.

2014-11-25_8-40-31.png

You need to download all six files. Choose a place on your hard drive that you can remember. MAKE A FOLDER SPECIALLY FOR THESE FILES, it will be easier if they are not mixed with other downloads. Do not use the "run" option in your browser. You can right-click each link and choose "Save link to" or "Save link as" depending on your browser. So, make a folder for the files and save each one into that folder.

It may take a while for them to download. I downloaded all of them to a folder on a secondary drive and when I was done the folder looked like this:

2014-11-25_8-42-55.png

Now, since these are zip files, they all need to be extracted into subfolders.

For each file: Right-click the file and choose "Extract all."

2014-11-25_8-49-11.png

You can use the default options for the extraction location but un-check the "show extracted files when complete" option to make this easier.

2014-11-25_8-51-30.png

As you do each file, a new folder with the same name as the zip file will appear. It can appear confusing; look closely at the file icons in Explorer to tell the difference. When you've done all six files you should have your folder looking like this, with twelve items in all (six zip files and six folders):

2014-11-25_8-58-01.png

You can skip this step if you are using SwordSearcher 7.2 or later.

There is one more thing that has to be done before SwordSearcher can use these files. The unzipped folders contain Mac-specific files that will confuse SwordSearcher. (In the next version of SwordSearcher these files will be ignored, but for now you must delete them).

For each folder, delete the "__MACOSX" folder in it.
2014-11-25_9-00-58.png

Almost there!
Now you are ready to link the audio files in SwordSearcher.

Open SwordSearcher and go to File, Configure Bible Audio.

2014-11-25_9-10-45.png

You'll see this; click LINK AUDIO FILES:

2014-11-25_9-12-45.png

In the window that pops up, select the folder you created which contains all of the extracted files. Be sure this folder contains all six sub-folders that were created when you did the extraction on each downloaded zip file. In my example this is how the correct selection looks:

2014-11-25_9-14-06.png

Click OK. If you get an error about multiple files matching the same chapter, go back and delete the __MACOSX folders from each folder as described earlier.

You should get this success message:

2014-11-25_9-22-40.png

Using this set of digital audio files, you get Scourby on a verse-by-verse basis! You should see this:

2014-11-25_9-23-53.png

Now you should have a play button next to each verse, and you can have Scourby read individual verses and full chapters out loud.

2014-11-25_9-27-17.png

This also works in the search results!

2014-11-25_9-29-14.png

Remember: Verse-by-verse audio is only supported for these specific AMG Publisher's audio files. SwordSearcher can use many different audio Bibles for chapter-playback, but for individual verse playback and highlighted verse-by-verse scrolling, you need to use these AMG files. More information in this post.

For additional details see the SwordSearcher user manual section on Bible Audio Support.

Last edited:
A lot of steps but clear instructions. Worth the trouble to have verse level synchronization with the text. People are always amazed when I have Alexander Scourby read the Bible for them in a Bible study setting and they can follow along. And then being able to hear search results finishes them off :)

Worth the trouble to have verse level synchronization with the text.

Yes, indeed! Verse level audio sync is undoubtedly one of the absolutely best features of SwordSearcher. I don't know of any other Bible Software that can do that with a non-computer voice. I just wish there was a way to adapt it for foreign language audio – I know it'd take hours and hours for an individual to go through and record the exact second that a verse starts, but some of us might just do it!

is it the same version as we already have?

Nothing new here, just new instructions for people who don't have the CDs. If you already have Scourby reading you verses in SwordSearcher, nothing you need to do. :)

The good thing about this..... you go to sleep at night, and you let it run, and run, and run....waking up in the morning with THE WORD OF GOD !!! Amazing !, isn't it?
No more excuses not to hear from GOD first thing in the morning, .... right?

Amen Johnny! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back