Author of Hebrews

Discussion in 'Bible, Doctrine, and Other Topics' started by Jason W. Elder, May 15, 2010.

1. Jason W. Elder

Jason W. Elder Active Member

I've always thought that Paul was the author of Hebrews though Luke may have written it as he dictated. That's just my personal wild guess.

But recently someone has pointed out two Scriptures that conflict with that idea.

?How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;? (Hebrews 2:3)

?But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.? (Galatians 1:11-12)

Also, Hebrews 13:25 contains this postscript. [SIZE=-1]"Written to the Hebrews from Italy by Timothy.[/SIZE]"

What do y'all think?

Biblestudent likes this.
  2. Brandon Staggs

Brandon Staggs Administrator Staff Member

This verse might be relevant:

2 Thessalonians 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

Biblestudent likes this.
  3. Jason W. Elder

Jason W. Elder Active Member

Thanks, I think it's very relevant.

Does anybody know about these postscripts that appear at the end of some Books of the Bible? Are they considered inspired? I mean, aren't they in the Gr. text?

4. RevTim

RevTim Beta Tester

They are not inspired, but they can be helpful. Timothy may have served as his amanuensis for this epistle. Paul would write a few lines in his epistles, but I am of the persuasion that his thorn in the flesh may have had something to do with his eyes ~ Galatians 4:15 Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. ~ but it's not something we can be dogmatic about.

There's lots of books out there on Hebrews, and the author debate rages strong. Paul seems to be the majority view. Heb. 2.3 would not be a problem with the Pauline perspective, since he did meet, was accepted by, and fellowshipped with the "pillars."

As to the Gal. passage, Paul was called directly by Jesus Christ -- and as a side note I believe Jesus chose Paul to be Judas's replacement, Acts 1:26 notwithstanding -- and part of his testimony was that God sequestered Paul for 3 years (Gal. 1.17).

Could it be that some of what Paul had revealed to him at that time might have been information that God confirmed to him via the brethren? I think so. We may know something to be right, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Back to Hebrews, however, some others who have been suggested as the author include Timothy, Barnabas and Priscilla. But only God knows. So in that sense Hebrews can be said to have been truly authored by God in a very special way.

If I was pressed on the issue, however, as to my opinion, it would be Paul. I believe the epistle has enough cues to at least suggest that as a likely possibility. But when I have taught / preached from the book, I do make it clear while men can speculate as to who God used to bring the book into existence, that's all they can do: speculate. If the Word of God is silent as to an issue, it's better for us to line up with the Word.

5. PeterAV

PeterAV Member

Yes!
    Romans 16:24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
    1 Corinthians 16:21 The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand.
    1 Corinthians 16;23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
    2 Corinthians 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
    Galatians 6:18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
    Ephesians 6:24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.
    Philippians 4:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
    Colossians 4:18 The salutation by the hand of me, Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you, Amen.
    1 Thessalonians 5:10 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
    2 Thessalonians 3:18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
    1 Timothy 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.
    2 Timothy 4:22 The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.
    Titus 3:15 All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.
    Philemon :25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
    Hebrews 13:25 Grace be with you all. Amen.
    Yes, Hebrews is by Paul as well.
    PeterAV
    Every word of God is pure:
    Including all the endings of GRACE.

6. Iambutdust

Iambutdust New Member

Agree. Hebrews is by the Apostle Paul by internal evidence and study of the character of Paul. Chuck Missler does a similar background and evidence proof study.

7. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Until someone can prove that he did not..................Apostle Paul. First 12 chapters do not sound much like Paul, but the 13th chapter is spot on for sure- especially........verse 25 as others as already said.
    • Hebrews 13:25 (KJV) Grace be with you all. Amen. Written to the Hebrews from Italy by Timothy.
    Paul was the 13th apostle, up until Hebrews he wrote 13 Epistles, Hebrews was the 14th which kind of goes against typology, however like I said the 13th chapter of Hebrews is undoubtedly Pauline epistle. The first 12 chapters..............?
    • Hebrews 3:14 (KJV) For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
    "If" we hold the beginning is a tough one.............? Paul if anyone knew he was in Christ, anyone who was born in Christ was in the body Christ, Christ was in him and he was part of Jesus Christ; not very Pauline. Smells a little like Matthew.......
    • Matthew 10:22 (KJV) And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
    We know that is not true, Pauline epistle because Paul said.............
    • 1 Corinthians 1:8 (KJV) Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    We all know who that WHO is:)

Hebrews is a tough book, stumbling block for a lot of people. I am not a scholar and you can agree or disagree that Hebrews is a transitional book............

Matthew is going from the Old Testament to the New Testament, in Acts from Israel to the Church and in Hebrews from the Church into the Tribulation. Hebrews can be saved or unsaved...........

wsbones likes this.
  8. ishaknatan

ishaknatan Beta Tester

Though I lean toward Paul, there is an interesting observation in;

ONE BOOK
    Rightly Divided
    The Key to Understanding the BibleBy Dr. Douglas D. Stauffer ...

" Many people including Bible publishers believe that Paul authored the book of Hebrews because of the mentioning of bonds (Heb 10:34), Timothy (Heb 13:23)being in the body (Heb 13:3) and Italy (Heb 13:24). But the evidence against Pauline authorship of Hebrews is demonstrably stronger. For instance, the statement about being in the body appears to be a reference to a physical body rather than a reference to the Body of Christ. See Heb 13:11 reference to the "bodies of those beasts" and the physical body referenced in Heb 10:5. "

" The thirteen epistles which are indisputably attributed to Paul each contain his peculiar salutation in the very first verse. However, Hebrews does not have Paul's customary salutation (or greeting) of his name as the first word of this epistle. Consider the five following additional points which support Hebrews authorship by someone other than Paul." ...

Biblestudent likes this.
  9. Biblestudent

Biblestudent Member

Hebrews 13:25 Grace be with you all. Amen.
    Re 22:21 "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen." This is NOT Paul's token. This benediction is NOT EXCLUSIVE to Paul.

10. Ruthlyn

Ruthlyn Beta Tester

My question always is how does casting doubt upon the Word of God help us at all? Does the authorship of Hebrews lend weight or detract from it being the Word of God? Is questioning whether the Epistle of Paul to the Ephesians was really addressed to the Ephesians help us to live holy and righteous lives? Do these reasonings help us to be conformed to the image of Christ? This is just my two mites :).

TerriP, terrpn, wsbones and 1 other person like this.
  11. 5UKM

5UKM Member

Ruthlyn .. I love it !
    way back when, when I got saved, my Pastor was given by the Holy Spirit .. 2Pet 1:21 .. & not to care too much about the human hand that penned it.
    In those days I was seaman & away from home & fellowship for 6 to 9 months at a time, & needed to Bible study on my own. Where to start ? My pastors suggestion was to read & look into Leviticus & Hebrews together. Then figure who the authour was ! 9 months later I believed absolutely - God's Word is God's word ! Jesus is the All in All, my All in All.
    Moses , Paul , whoever, God was the heart behind the words.
    By the way, big thank you to you Bill for the 2 Leviticus modules.

12. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

There is no conflict……with Paul writing to Hebrews, a group composed only of Jews and Jewish Christians? After all he preached to Jews in Damascus in Acts 9, Jews in Jerusalem later in Acts. He did not even preach to Gentiles until Acts 13.

Paul was not only the apostle to the Gentiles..............he was much more:)

· Philippians 3:5 (KJV) Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

By Peter’s own mouth we see Paul wrote a letter to the Hebrews. Peter was writing to Jewish believers about Paul having written to them. This letter would line up as Hebrews………

· 2 Peter 3:15-16 (KJV) And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Then if the Epistle of Hebrews be not that writing, where is it?

IMOP Brandon’s post should be enough proof and we can all go to the house. If that isn’t written with a sharp sword and pointed enough I don’t know what is?

· 2 Thessalonians 3:17 (KJV) The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

13. wsbones

wsbones Beta Tester

If one makes 3 sets of words:
    1. All the words that appear in the Bible between Genesis through Acts plus those in James through Revelation (set 1)
    2. All the words that appear in Romans through Philemon (set 2)
    3. All the words that appear in Hebrews (set 3)

What words appear in set 2 that are not in set 1. These are words that only Paul used.
    How many of these words also appear in set 3. These are words that only Paul used that are also used in Hebrews and nowhere else.

Here's the list of the 22 words I found. In SS paste the list into the F2 search box and select "find verses with any of the words."

striving carnal weakness feeling permit profession author earnest communicate mediator easily disobedience timothy fornicator resisted translated confirmation honestly endless invisible worldly wellpleasing

upload_2017-7-21_21-30-35.png

Ruthlyn and terrpn like this.
  14. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Bill......you are so smart brother, thanks!!

Ruthlyn likes this.
  15. wsbones

wsbones Beta Tester

I posted a module of the words in set 2 and set 3 in the post above with searchable links for each word. Set 2 has 562 words that Paul used exclusively. Set 3 has 22 words that are found in Hebrews that Paul used exclusively.

Ruthlyn likes this.
  16. Ruthlyn

Ruthlyn Beta Tester

Indeed thanks Bill. I also heard a great sermon by Dr. H.T. Spence of Foundations Bible College which looked at the three expositions of "the just shall live by faith" found in Romans, Galatians and Hebrews. It was excellent and showed clearly the authorship Hebrews :)

wsbones likes this.