Bible Version

Striving

Any chance of seeing the E.S.V (English Standard Version) bible being incorporated into the SS programme?

Great programme, very user friendly and a clean interface

Thank You

There are no plans to add any texts that would require royalty payments or sales reporting to a third party.

From the SwordSearcher FAQ:

Requests for particular material in SwordSearcher, such as new Bible versions, modern commentaries, etc., are hard to fulfill because of licensing and copyright issues. For example, a certain publisher currently requires a five-figure upfront payment to license their popular Bible version, in addition to requiring per-copy royalty payments that cost more than a printed paperback version of their publication. Regardless of anyone's reasons for wanting or not wanting this kind of material in SwordSearcher, it is simply a moot point as long as these kinds of restrictions are in place.

Striving said:
Also, is it possible to pay for a full downloadable version of SS?
Thanks

No, not at this time. The full version of SwordSearcher is quite large and CD-ROM distribution is the most efficient means.

However, I am considering offering the full version download as an option in the future. But even though a lot of people have high speed internet access, 300+ megabytes is a lot to ask someone to download.

5 figure sum to use their version? Thats not fair

I have the evaluation 'ss' and was considering getting the full programme. but im in the uk, and i dont trust the postal/air service that much to be honest. if ever the download option became available, i'd get it

Thanks anyway

Striving said:
5 figure sum to use their version?

Not the ESV specifically, it was an example. That figure is for a different commonly requested text.

[quote="Brandon StaggsNot the ESV specifically, it was an example. That figure is for a different commonly requested text.[/quote]

Have you checked into the ESV? It is, without a doubt, my favorite translation. I know that it is available free of charge for e-Sword, but I'm not sure if Rick Meyers had to pay anything to make it that way.

Have you checked into the ESV?

I have made enquiries and have not received anything back as yet from the publisher.

Honestly, adding more translations is not a high priority. I'm open to doing so for comparitive study purposes but do not want to add items that would require special licensing and reporting.

Brandon Staggs said:
Have you checked into the ESV?

I have made enquiries and have not received anything back as yet from the publisher.

Honestly, adding more translations is not a high priority. I'm open to doing so for comparitive study purposes but do not want to add items that would require special licensing and reporting.

Brandon, anything about a conviction FOR the King James which might give you cause to pause? Just asking... :D

I actually would like a few more translations. I know there's a lot of contraversy about the NIV and the Message version, but its nice when everyone in class is reading one version to have it to follow along. Is it possible to get the NIV, TNIV, or Message?
Also the NET is available to everyone online. I'm fairly sertain they would allow you to incorperate into the program. the NET was created because they wanted an always up-to-date online bible that was available without pulling strings for copyrights. the online version is always ongoing updating though... not sure how that would work.
---
P.S. why doesn't the search engine let me search 'NIV'? limiting it to 4 words or more cuts out all abbreviations, and no one uses full words in a forum...

Back