ctrl c

wsbones

Beta Tester
I mentioned this before. Does anyone else have problems using ctrl-c in swordsearcher? I have tried eliminating tray applications but that did not change anything.

All my other apps work fine using ctrl-c to copy but when I use it to copy a Bible verse to the topic editor, I usually get the material that was previously in the clipboard rather than what I just highlighted and copied with ctrl-c.

Ctrl-c works internally in the editor and sometimes it works in SS but not consistently.

The copy-selected menu item works correctly however.

To be honest Bill I typically use ctrl-alt-v in Word, the widget or right click a number of verses, etc to paste, so will need to go back and check. I do use ctrl-c for a lot of other stuff so good one Bill.

I'm sure Brandon is already on it. Will check and hit you back.

I mentioned this before. Does anyone else have problems using ctrl-c in swordsearcher? I have tried eliminating tray applications but that did not change anything.

All my other apps work fine using ctrl-c to copy but when I use it to copy a Bible verse to the topic editor, I usually get the material that was previously in the clipboard rather than what I just highlighted and copied with ctrl-c.

Ctrl-c works internally in the editor and sometimes it works in SS but not consistently.

I went back and read your post again and understand more clearly what you were meaning I believe vs what I said- sorry.

I went back in SS, then editor after using ctrl-c within SS and then pasted in editor w/out any problems. Is that mimicking what you were trying to do?

I know what you mean when sometimes things seem to stick when using crtl-c, but as of yet mine seems to be ok in SS.

Here's a set of steps that seems to cause ctrl-c to stop working for me. I am not sure what actually causes it to stop. This is repeatable for me on my computer. My layout is every window undocked. I don't know if that is part of the problem.

First I rebooted but I don't think that is necessary.

1. Open SS
2. Open a user topic using the design editor
3. Highlight some text in the Bible and use ctrl-c to copy. Paste it into the editor. This works.
4. Highlight some text from a book or commentary and paste it into the design editor. This works.
5. Now open the scan tool.
6. Highlight some text from the Bible and paste it into the scan tool window. This DOES NOT WORK. For me, it pasted in the verse reference of the verse at the top of the Bible window, not the selected text that I grabbed with Ctrl-c.
7. Now go back to the user editor and try to copy some text from the Bible window, a book, or a commentary. When I paste it into the user editor, it pastes the same reference that got pasted into the scan tool in step 6.
8. Now get out of SS and get back in. Ctrl c seems to work again.

It seems like the scan tool is causing ctrl-c to stop working.

I tried another simpler test.

Just open SS and then open the scan tool. Copy some text from the Bible window - just a few words not including the verse reference and paste that into the scan tool. This does not work for me. See attached picture. I highlighted the text in blue, used ctrl-c and pasted it into the scan tool with ctrl-v. See that the reference, Ps 89:4, was actually pasted.

From this point on ctrl-c does not work and ctrl-v pastes Ps 89.4 into the user editor.

Attachments

• snap0093.jpg
    snap0093.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 242
See previous post for a description of the problem.

More testing points to having the Bible window undocked. That causes the problem with the scan tool and ctrl-c.

Hi Bill,

Try as I might, I can't reproduce the problem you have described. Docked or undocked it makes no difference.

Do I understand correctly that if you right-click and choose the copy item from the pop-up menu that it works as expected?

Does it make any difference if you go to File > Preferences > Misc. Options and toggle "use plain-text clipboard copy..."?

Looking at your screen shot it's seems as if the text from the Go To Verse box was copied, not the text in the Bible panel. Is it possible that the Go To Verse box had focus when you did the copy? That would explain why there is a difference using the pop-up menu since right-clicking would set focus to that window.

Looking at your screen shot it's seems as if the text from the Go To Verse box was copied, not the text in the Bible panel. Is it possible that the Go To Verse box had focus when you did the copy? That would explain why there is a difference using the pop-up menu since right-clicking would set focus to that window.

No, the go to box did not have the focus except coincidently with the problem. I tried it again and made sure the go to box was not highlighted. It is the verse ref in the go to box that gets copied however even though it does not have the focus. Attached is another photo where I changed the verse and then unselected the goto box and copied the highlighted text. It pasted what was in the go to box.

Attachments

• snap0094.jpg
    snap0094.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 227
Hi Bill,

Try as I might, I can't reproduce the problem you have described. Docked or undocked it makes no difference.

Do I understand correctly that if you right-click and choose the copy item from the pop-up menu that it works as expected?

Does it make any difference if you go to File > Preferences > Misc. Options and toggle "use plain-text clipboard copy..."?

Right click works correctly

I already had plain text clipboard copy selected.

It happens only when the Bible window is undocked from the application window using ctrl c to copy and paste in the scan tool. After it happens then ctrl c only pastes a verse reference regardless of where I am pasting in SS.

Does the focus stay in the application window when the Bible pane is undocked from the application, even though I copy from the Bible pane? Could this be a Vista issue?

By the way - drag and drop works to copy text from the Bible window to the scan tool even though ctrl-c doesn't under these circumstances. Very confusing. Thanks

I loaded up a Vista virtual machine and followed your steps, and still can't get it to fail.

It certainly sounds like the CTRL+C shortcut is going to the wrong control, but I can't make it happen here.

The focus should stay in the Bible panel unless you move it to something else, regardless of whether or not it's docked. What about other keyboard commands -- can you scroll the Bible panel with the up/down arrow keys?

I'm going to try something and send you an exe file by email in a few minutes.

Sorry, my "few minutes" didn't turn out to be a few. I'll try to get something to you soon. Need to get ready for church. :)

I loaded up a Vista virtual machine and followed your steps, and still can't get it to fail.

It certainly sounds like the CTRL+C shortcut is going to the wrong control, but I can't make it happen here.

The focus should stay in the Bible panel unless you move it to something else, regardless of whether or not it's docked. What about other keyboard commands -- can you scroll the Bible panel with the up/down arrow keys?

Other keyboard commands seem to work. The up and down arrow, ctrl-f10 for toggle margin.

I tried it on my wife's Vista machine and get the same behavior. If I open the classic SS layout, close books, commentaries, and then move the app window to the left 1/3 of the screen and undock the Bible and put it over the app window blank area I duplicate the problem.

I open the scan tool, copy the text of a verse using ctrl-c, then try ctrl-v in the scan tool, I paste the verse ref shown in the go to box instead of the text.

Here's a new piece of information.

I use ctrl-c to copy the verse text from the undocked window but this time I used the paste button in the scan window instead of ctrl-v. VOILA. It worked. Could the problem be ctrl-v in the scan window doing something unintended?

edit: I did it again, and once it starts pasting the verse ref, the paste button does the same thing as the ctrl-v. So ignore what I said above.

Okay, I've done some digging and experimenting. I found that there can be some focus switching issues with undocked panels using shortcuts in some situations. I've emailed you a test file to see if I have worked around the issue.

Let me know what you find.

Okay, I've done some digging and experimenting. I found that there can be some focus switching issues with undocked panels using shortcuts in some situations. I've emailed you a test file to see if I have worked around the issue.

Let me know what you find.

That seems to have fixed it but I'll test it more rigorously later.

Thanks.

Excellent. I'll roll this into another hotfix update soon.

Hey Bill,

Reading through the posts seems like Brandon has got you straight. I know all of us we're trying to get involved to see what gives and try to help with the problem.

Had to prepare for church Saturday night, then of course Sunday is church and pretty much takes up the whole day- so I apologize for now just checking in. There are a core group of people here that are like a community offering whatever they can to help Brandon make SS a better product.

Thanks for finding this stuff that benefits all of us:) Sure keeps Brandon busy......:cool:

Brandon have you ever considered making a SS template to place over the F keys on the keyboard like the old MS Word, Word Perfect days for shortcuts? Of course not all keyboards are alike, but could be made to fit a standard layout. We could all help.

Check out the link.......

http://www.fentek-ind.com/templat.htm

Just a thought, however if there is no interest we can file it.

Brandon have you ever considered making a SS template to place over the F keys on the keyboard like the old MS Word, Word Perfect days for shortcuts? Of course not all keyboards are alike, but could be made to fit a standard layout. We could all help.

Well, I have about 10 computers where I am right now, and only two of them have keyboards with the same physical dimensions (and that's only because they have the exact same model of keyboard). Most of them have different heights and shapes for the keys, too.

LOL............good one.

Sword Searcher in STEREO

Well, I have about 10 computers where I am right now, and only two of them have keyboards with the same physical dimensions (and that's only because they have the exact same model of keyboard). Most of them have different heights and shapes for the keys, too.

Back