Geneva Bible - what version?

Missouri Rev

A quick question. What version of the Geneva Bible comes with the SwordSearcher software. Is it translated into modern English (like the version from Tolle Lege Press)? Thanks . . .

A quick question. What version of the Geneva Bible comes with the SwordSearcher software. Is it translated into modern English (like the version from Tolle Lege Press)? Thanks . . .

Here is the GB mod info from SS --

The Geneva Bible
"The Bible and Holy Scriptures Conteyned in the Olde and Newe Testament"
"Imprinted at London by Christopher Barker, Printer to the Qveenes Maiestie. 1587. Cum priuilegio."
(Maintains original spellings.)

I hope you have a God-blessed Son-day!

Tim, thank you for the quick response. I would download the evaluation version, except it does not come with the Geneva Bible. So I take it from what you shared that it must be a facsimile copy of an original? Can one search for verses from it or insert them into a document? Perhaps one of you out there that has this module can affirm this one way or another?

Thank you,

The Missouri Rev

Hi Missouri Rev,

One may search or copy and paste from any of the Bibles in SwordSearcher. Download the trial version, by all means, as soon as possible! You'll love the way SwordSearcher works! There are so many Bibles, books and commentaries (140 of them according to PTim, all ready to be searched and copied and pasted from) available for SwordSearcher that you'll be very happy to have the program! :smile:

Marty

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply. SwordSearcher must be good software. From what you have stated, can I take it that the Geneva Bible version in the SwordSearcher software is not be a facsimile version, as it is impossible (as far as I know) to cut and paste from facsimile images. Have you used the Geneva Bible that SwordSearcher provides?

No, the Geneva Bible in SwordSearcher is not a facsimile - it's regular text with the original format and spelling. Here is a bit copied and pasted from the book of Jonah:

Jonah 1:1-3 The worde of the Lorde came also vnto Ionah the sonne of Amittai, saying, Arise, and goe to Nineueh, that great citie, and crye against it: for their wickednesse is come vp before mee. But Ionah rose vp to flee into Tarshish fro the presence of the Lord, and went downe to Iapho: and he founde a ship going to Tarshish: so he payed the fare thereof, and went downe into it, that he might go with them vnto Tarshish, from the presence of the Lord.

Here are some of the commentary and book links for Jon 1:1. I don't have all 140 references on my computer. (I wrote out the names for the abreviations and put them in parenthesis.):

1. Barnes Clarke Darby FBN (Family Bible Notes) Geneva (Geneva Bible Footnotes) Gill JFB (Jamieson-Fausset-Brown) Jonah KDOTC (Keil and Delitzsch Old Testament Commentary) MHCC (Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary) MHWBC (Matthew Henry's Whole Bible Commentary) Poole Scofield TSK (Treasury of Scripture Knowlege) Wesley Audio CBC (Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia) Chain Easton Fausset ISBE (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia) Nave OYB (One Year Bible Reading Schedule) Smith TFund (Torrey's Fundamentals) Torrey

(As you may notice, there is a selection called 'Audio,' which contains links to an audio reading of the KJV Bible. This is a user module. With SwordSearcher, you are able to create your own books or commentaries, which you can share with others if you'd like.) :cool:

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply. SwordSearcher must be good software.

My 2 cents. My master's was loaded with Greek and Hebrew (30 hours out of about 52).

I own many of the Bible programs out there. None that might be classified "scholar" programs (with advanced language materials) but most that an average pastor or Christian worker could find beneficial in their preparation to serve the Lord.

I believe that you will not find a better program than Swordsearcher. It is well worth the investment. And once you have it, you can greatly expand it's value by adding the various user-created mods out there. Of course, you might not WANT all the user mods available, some might differ with your theological preferences and persuasion, but even with those I take them because I believe there is value in seeing how points of view which differ from mine think about the Word.

I hope this helps. If you purchase the program, then I would also encourage you to get more involved with the Board because those who produce material for SS often make those announcements right here.

And who knows? Perhaps the Lord has some teaching in you He'd like you to share with others via SS...

Thanks for your replies. I now use the 1599 Geneva Bible put out by Tolle Lege Press as my primary study and sermon bible. Since I hand out copies of my sermon prior to preaching it, I would like the Scripture inserts in them to match the same version bible. The 1587 version that comes with the SwordSearcher software is not the same. Also, the one put out by Tolle Lege Press uses modern spelling, which is very useful for those not accustomed to the Old English spelling.

I am still quite interested in the SwordSearcher software for other reasons and will likely download the evaluation version to see how it works.

As it concerns any contributions I could make to the SS community, I am a tentmaking Scots Presbyterian pastor, a muleskinner logger by trade, that is wholly intent upon helping the flock to establish themselves in our rural Christian community. If that may be of relevant interest to the rest of you, perhaps I may have something to offer.

Thanks for your replies. I now use the 1599 Geneva Bible put out by Tolle Lege Press as my primary study and sermon bible. Since I hand out copies of my sermon prior to preaching it, I would like the Scripture inserts in them to match the same version bible.
-----
As it concerns any contributions I could make to the SS community, I am a tentmaking Scots Presbyterian pastor, a muleskinner logger by trade, that is wholly intent upon helping the flock to establish themselves in our rural Christian community. If that may be of relevant interest to the rest of you, perhaps I may have something to offer.

Rev, it's a truth we all have something to offer others. From the little bit you've shared you sound quite interesting and that you'd have much to share with the community here.

What part of Missouri?

However, what I was thinking specifically when I suggested you might have something to offer was that perhaps God might grace you with the desire and stamina to create a SS user-mod to share with us all. Some of your sermons? A commentary on one of your favorite books? Suggestions to others who might be considering a tent-maker ministry? And such like.

One day I hope to have time to pursue a distance education doctorate, and then create a commentary on Ephesians. And, of course, do it all via SS so I can eventually share it with anyone who might be interested in what this poor, lisping tongue has to say.

I look forward to interacting with you more on the Boards. God bless you, my brother.

Tim, thank you for the quick response. I would download the evaluation version, except it does not come with the Geneva Bible. So I take it from what you shared that it must be a facsimile copy of an original? Can one search for verses from it or insert them into a document? Perhaps one of you out there that has this module can affirm this one way or another?

It is not a facsimile; text is displayed in whatever font you choose, etc. But the spellings match the original publication.

You can copy and export GB text, like any Bible text in SwordSearcher.

Back