Greek and Hebrew font problem (Linux)

garymax

I am using Swordsearcher 5.2.1.1 under CrossOver Linux (WINE). I have installed the latest version and I do not have any original language fonts anywhere. The TR module is transliterated and the Old Testament is blank with just commentaries and such appearing where the verse should be.

Any idea of what is going on?

Thanks!

Re: Greek and Hebrew font problem

The TR Old Testament is blank because the TR is a New Testament text.

As for fonts on Linux, you may need to make sure you have the Windows Symbol font available for your WINE-installed applications. Linux is not a supported OS for SwordSearcher, but others have reported it works fine, and at least one user has reported they needed to make sure the Symbol font is installed in WINE for it to properly show the Greek texts.

Re: Greek and Hebrew font problem

I haven't used any CodeWeavers products for several years, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Several versions ago the SS installer program would want to reboot Windows before it started the main install and Wine could not handle that so I had to use Crossover Plugin, but regular Wine handles the install quite nicely now. I do remember that when you started Crossover that it gave some choices of Windows based programs and fonts you could download and the correct fonts needed were there.

If they are not there you can try to install webcore-fonts which is a Linux based version of the favorite Window fonts. I believe you need a valid Windows license to use them. I still have a copy of Windows 95, so I think I'm good.

If your still out of luck you can try to install a regular version of Wine and then install SwordSearcher with that. I know I used to have the CrossOver Plugin installed and still install regular Wine without any issues, but this may no longer be the case so please check with CodeWeavers before trying it.

Here is a link where the Symbol font may be downloaded. I just dropped the font file into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/ and SwordSearcher found them without a problem. :

http://hawaii.hawaii.edu/math/Courses/Math100/Chapter0/FAQ/WinFont.htm

And here is a link about MS core fonts that a Linux user may be interested in (in a nutshell - only the Tahoma fonts seem to require a MS Windows license):

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Installing_Windows_fonts

Hope this is a help.

In Christ,
Danny

Back