Healthier life.

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by Johnny NL, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

I need prayers for a healthier life choices.
    A month ago, with my wife, We decided to change our life routine for better. Like, healthy food choices, more exercise, as the Word of God thought me, our body IS God's temple.(mine is a mess)And me, myself and I, have problems with this topic. I do not have health issues yet, (Praise the Lord), BUT if I do not care more about this, I will.
    I do not blame society, or anything else. It is MY fault, and nobody else, but before it's too late, I need to change them really bad habits.
    weight is my issue, food ! Don't drink, smoke or drugs, but food is really an issue. So I need prayers to change this part of my life, with the help of the Holy Ghost.
    Amen to Jesus, and thanks.:(

2. Brandon Staggs

Brandon Staggs Administrator Staff Member

Hey brother, I know what you are talking about. I got to almost 300 pounds and realized I was heading for disaster. That was about 14 years ago and I have been in a much healther 190-210 range for the last 12 years or so. It's very very do-able.

Ruthlyn, marty and Johnny NL like this.
  3. marty

marty Beta Tester

I'm praying for you, Johnny. As a food lover myself, I understand your struggle. The first change that has to take place is getting around that 'food block' in your mind and it sounds like you've made the decision. There are tons of resources and delicious foods available that will help you have a HEALTHY weight loss without starving or feeling deprived. I look forward to hearing about your success!

Ruthlyn and Johnny NL like this.
  4. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

Thanks a lot..... I will keep you posted.
    Thanks again, be blessed !

5. Ruthlyn

Ruthlyn Beta Tester

Praying for you too Johnny. As Marty said you don't have to starve yourself, there are loads of really delicious and healthy food choices out there. Facing up to a problem is half the battle won!! Hope you and your wife enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle :)

Johnny NL likes this.
  6. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

Thanks for the good words, they DO bring Hope in my heart..:)

Ruthlyn likes this.
  7. Gord

Gord Beta Tester

Praying for you brother. I too was over 250lbs on a 5'7" skeleton, yup not tall enough for that weight. At 214 now loosing about 1-2 lbs per week. It can be done.

Ruthlyn, Johnny NL and marty like this.
  8. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

thank you Sir.

9. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

One tip is drink LOTS of water. I did that in a weight loss program about 20 years ago, lost about 50 pounds and it seemed kind of easy. I'm sure the water helped. But then again, my office was about 5 feet from the ladies' room so I was okay in that regard.

I just now started cutting out sweets, little by little, I have been drinking WAY too much Dr. Pepper (at first I said, okay, one every few days, that would be all right. And after all, it is caffeine-free. Then it was okay, one a day, not so bad for me. Now, or up until four days ago, it's been like four a day.) So now I have 100% switched to Pellegrino and I really, really like it; certainly helps with that fizzy craving.

Also I am trying to eat more veggies. The froze ones, Steamables, they're called - they're pretty good.

I'm not sure about this, but I was thinking the other day, maybe food/overeating can be considered an idol, and that's pretty messed up, right? So I've been looking at it like that.

I know what you mean, too, nobody to blame but me. I can take it, I got broad shoulders. Well, maybe at this point, a little too broad.

Gord, I like your new picture!

I will pray for you, Johnny, you and your wife. It's kind of not as difficult as we think it would be, really, it's kind of like any other temptation. I'm not craving the cakes and ice cream like I was before, just what remains is a few Dove dark chocolates. I mean isn't dark chocolate supposed to be good for you...........? How many is too many, do you think?

Ruthlyn, Gord and Johnny NL like this.
  10. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

Oh my are you so right Terri !?!?!?
    YES food may become an idol, it can be as bad as, drinking, drugs, and dirty thoughts, this is ALL SIN !!!!
    Emotional eating, feeding the poor little pity me....:(
    Now I focus onto the Conforter!!! The Holy Ghost Himself.
    Thanks for them cheerful words, and yes there is three victory words: water, water, water... You said it !!!!!!
    BTW, I stopped soft drinks few months ago, but same here, Dr. Pepper was NOT going in fast enough... HV it if it would have been possible!!! That stuff is really bad, I know.
    The veggies are also part of the victory key.
    For ref, I have pics of me with dates and weight... so I will have something to look back at. In GOD's will and the Son's Grace, with the help of the Conforter, I will succeed. By Faith, I trust the Blood of Jesus!
    Amen.
    Thanks for the prayers, ... Ya'all.

Eric likes this.
  11. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

[QUOTE=" By Faith, I trust the Blood of Jesus! [/QUOTE]

You know what, shame on me, there were waaay too many "I"s in my reply to you above. YOU are so right - of course we do need to use common sense and read labels, etc. - however, the most important number one is bring it to the Cross, trust in the Blood of Jesus every day, every moment... When we get victory, it's not in our own wisdom, it's through Him, glory to God.

Thanks, Johnny!

Johnny NL likes this.
  12. rjg

rjg Member

Johnny - here is my weight loss story - (due to visit to the doctor):
    I dropped 40 lbs within about 7 mos or so. First started by cutting out as many carbs as I could. Of particular importance was cutting out all foods made with white flour, sugar, and starchy vegetables like potatoes and white rice. Also cut out all fruits for the first few months because of the sugar content. And of course no chips, processed foods (nothing from a box or can), no crackers, no box cereals, etc. I eat mostly fish, seafood, meats, oatmeal, nuts, grains, veggies, lots of hearty bean & barley soup (homemade only - I can give you a great recipe. Don't trust what you buy from the store!), avocado, hot peppers, olive oil, olives (from the deli case), cheese, milk. For me, eating fats was not the problem. It was the starches, white rice, junk food, and pasta. Eliminating those made a HUGE difference, even without the exercise. I also eat sardines, hamburgers, hot Italian sausage, even hot dogs but all of those without the bun using cabbage or lettuce instead. For snacks I eat peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts. They fill me up. After a few months I went back to eating fruits for breakfast (usually a banana and a grapefruit). Anyway, this is what worked for me. I also started light cycling either on the road or using an indoor trainer when it's cold. Best of luck and be healthy :)

Johnny NL likes this.
  13. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

thank you rjg that is good advice.;)

14. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

A small step, but it is one forward...Praise The Lord Jesus, after aprox. 7 weeks, I have 19lbs gone...
    thanks for the prayers and the good advice.
    stationary bike, real bike out side, long walks in the woods with walking sticks, and my 2 dogs....less, way less, bread, meat, no garbage food, all fruits and veggies. but most of all, I must take completely out of my life the sin against God's Temple (my body)... this is my ultimate task now. So please, keep praying for me, this is a very very tiny battle won. Still a long long road to go.
    Thanks Ya'all.

marty, rjg, Brandon Staggs and 3 others like this.
  15. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

I never really paid attention to food product's labels....:eek:
    What a list of bad stuff in it!?!?!?:(
    I read more, study more, care more,... what a difference !!!
    Oh by the way, I do have here in Canada, the bread brand "Ezekiel 4:9", That bread is awesome in every ways. very small slice portion, healthy as it is suppose to be. Just that change, is BIG change in my life, it is a huge difference.
    As I am making a thorough major clean up in that filthy TEMPLE, (which I am responsable for it) I learn a bunch of new stuff. The prayer request for wisdom remain, ... thanks Ya'all for your support.
    :)God is GREAT, ... ALL THE TIME ! Amen.:D

Ruthlyn likes this.
  16. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

OH! By the way, ALLLLLL this, is possible with my beloved wife's care and knowledge. GOD BLESS WIVES, FOR I KNOW WITH OUT THEM MEN ARE.... not much !:confused: Amen...

Ruthlyn and Eric like this.
  17. rjg

rjg Member

What a blessing Johnny! I will continue to pray for your health and that God grants you wisdom to make the healthy diet choices.

Johnny NL likes this.
  18. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

That's what I use for bread, toast, sandwiches; tastes yummy, too. By the way, if anyone can't find it in the bread shelves look for it in the freezer. No preservatives, so they keep it in the freezer usually.

Johnny NL likes this.
  19. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

That is how we get it here, in the frozen section.... Sooooo Good !!!
    They also have English muffin, and all kinds of products too.

20. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

Quick update: Weight going down, few more pounds...! The weather is getting nicer here, so riding my FatBike on an old abandoned railroad bed. (FatBike: kinda mountain bike with 6" wide tires. For rock, sand, mud, any surface. http://fatbikerepublic.blogspot.ca/ )
    Extremely, physically demanding. Here in Newfoundland, they are the perfect tool to ride "The Rock" (nickname of the Island.)
    That brings me to the "Motto" of Newfoundland: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God". So you understand, how I feel being at the "right" place that The LORD wants me to be. Like I said before, with my SS I train my Soul, my Mind, but I must take care of the body too !
    The "thirst" of THIS knowledge for the wisdom, is in great part, due to the "addiction" of my SwordSearcher.
    A better health in God's Wisdom through The Word of GOD.
    Ya'all be blessed in the Name of Jesus Christ.

1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
    2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
    3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
    4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
    5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
    Proverbs 2:1-5

My SwordSearcher, my hid treasure!

Still need prayers.

TerriP and Ruthlyn like this.