I need help with a user-created work

RevTim

Beta Tester
I have created two user books. One was a harmony [this was before Brandon added them to the mix], and one was a copy of Clarence Larkin's "Medicine Chest for Christian Practitioners."

So I have a little bit of experience making easy user books.

I am now trying to create a book, however for some reason the lines are not wrapping properly. That is, the end of many of the lines goes past the view of the window.

It doesn't seem to matter if I try to copy & paste from the source I have, a Word doc, or from a *txt copy of it. So I'm not sure why this is happening, nor how to correct it.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

That's not normal behavior. Could you send me your user module that's giving you this problem (attached to an email) so I can see what's going on?

That's not normal behavior. Could you send me your user module that's giving you this problem (attached to an email) so I can see what's going on?

Sure. As I say, with the other 2 user books I created, I did not experience this problem.

Also, I believe I saw in one discussion where you can convert a user book so that it is no longer editable by others? If so, how can this be done?

PLUS, I notice you have a link to both the SS & Studylamp sites in the "help" menu. Any reason you don't have a link to the forums?

PLUS, I notice you have a link to both the SS & Studylamp sites in the "help" menu. Any reason you don't have a link to the forums?

No reason. I just forgot to do it. :cool:

Also, I believe I saw in one discussion where you can convert a user book so that it is no longer editable by others? If so, how can this be done?

Two steps:

1. Export the user book (on the User menu).

2. Use Forge to build a non-editable module from the exported text.

I am now trying to create a book, however for some reason the lines are not wrapping properly. That is, the end of many of the lines goes past the view of the window.

I took a look at the module you sent over and discovered the problem.

The text that was pasted in has a paragraph style with a negative right margin -- so no matter what the size of the window, it will get rendered off to the right a bit.

You can manually edit the HTML code to remove these, if you know HTML. Otherwise, you should open the entry, copy it to the clipboard, erase the text, then right-click and select Paste As Plain Text. That will paste in the text without the formatting. But, you'll have to reconstruct the bold, italics, etc if any.

Sorry for the hassle, but it's not really a SwordSearcher bug. Somehow, at some point some formatted text was pasted in that had a negative margin style. Weird!

I took a look at the module you sent over and discovered the problem.

The text that was pasted in has a paragraph style with a negative right margin -- so no matter what the size of the window, it will get rendered off to the right a bit.

You can manually edit the HTML code to remove these, if you know HTML. Otherwise, you should open the entry, copy it to the clipboard, erase the text, then right-click and select Paste As Plain Text. That will paste in the text without the formatting. But, you'll have to reconstruct the bold, italics, etc if any.

Sorry for the hassle, but it's not really a SwordSearcher bug. Somehow, at some point some formatted text was pasted in that had a negative margin style. Weird!

Fair enough. However I did sort of think of that, and after discovering the problem I did try to copy the material into a text doc, and then from there into SS, and I still got the same results.

This was coming originally from a Word doc.

Perhaps if I try to save the Word doc as a plain text? I'll wait for your response. It's no biggie.

Perhaps if I try to save the Word doc as a plain text? I'll wait for your response. It's no biggie.

The problem may be that the SS entry you created had this margin property set when you pasted in some formatted text with it. Once set, it may be that every time you paste something new into that entry it gets the same properties.

I would try saving the Word document as a plain-text file, then open that in Notepad. Then create new entries in your SS module and paste in from Notepad.

You could just edit the HTML in SwordSearcher, but of course that would entail learning HTML.

The problem may be that the SS entry you created had this margin property set when you pasted in some formatted text with it. Once set, it may be that every time you paste something new into that entry it gets the same properties.

I would try saving the Word document as a plain-text file, then open that in Notepad. Then create new entries in your SS module and paste in from Notepad.

You could just edit the HTML in SwordSearcher, but of course that would entail learning HTML.

So, since I really didn't get that far, and it's not a huge undertaking to start over, perhaps best to eliminate the book and start fresh with a text version? And then edit for proper form on Bible refs and other formatting issues?

So, since I really didn't get that far, and it's not a huge undertaking to start over, perhaps best to eliminate the book and start fresh with a text version? And then edit for proper form on Bible refs and other formatting issues?

That would probably be the expedient way.

I'd still like to get help with this part of my inquiry --

Thanks.

Back