Is There any way I can do a character string search on the commentaries?

IamKJVonly

I'm trying to use sword searcher as more than a bible reading plan and have build my own commentary.

The problem is I want to do a "Character String Search" on my commentary but don't have that option.

Is there any way I can do this?

It would be nice if the search the active commentary function had this option.

Or if the search box that has the option "Character String Search" has an option to search commentaries and or books also.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way and there is another way to do the search; that is why I'm posting this thread.

What I'm trying to do is do for example is a search on "Last Supper" and want the verse where I have my comments about it instead of getting all the "Last Supper" that the search would give me.

I was think about Searching for : "Last Supper*" in my commentary (or some other symbol) so I would find the verse note where I have my notes without stepping through all the references the search gives me.

Dave (IamKJVonly)

You can use the F4 key to search the active commentary. By putting the phrase in quotes you can find "the last supper". Another way is to use the full library search but specify which resource you want to search. Here's an example:
upload_2016-1-4_14-42-45.png

Bill

Without the ability to search by a "character string search" there is no way I that I can find the verse which has my personal notes on hell for example . Because I may use the word "HELL" in several other verses comments. That is why I though using: "HELL*" in my verse which contains my personal notes would find that verse and only that verse. The trouble as far as I can see is that the only search that allows me to do this only searches the bible not the commentaries. But you are right searching a single module (My commentary) would help narrow the number of responses .

Dave (IamKJVonly)

I don't know if this would help but I categorize many of my verse notes with a marker, then I can search for the marker plus a word. I use the word, cat: as the marker. If I wanted all the verses on inspiration, I would search for cat:inspiration. I keep a list of my categories in a topic in my user topics.
upload_2016-1-4_17-32-5.png

Thanks BILL

It's a GEART idea and solves my problem. I put mine in a book. but putting them in a topic sounds better.

You made my day.

Dave aka IamKJVonly

Back