KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SELECTIVE

Bill

This is the best Bible Software available because it is simple and selective. I have used it for several years, purchased copies for Christian Laborers and use it as my primary Bible Study resource.

Of course the Bible (Majority Text Family of manuscripts) is first and at times do internet searches on a topic to get various interpretations and possible insight, then book by book commentaries.

More and more I use the Bible only, however Swordsearcher is the only Bible Software needed. Continue on in this custom Brandon! :lol:

P.S. I am editing a near KJV called the Quiet Time Prayer Bible that I hope may be used on Swordsearcher in the future. More later on this.

This is the best Bible Software available

I concur with this too but my efforts to promote it have always fallen on deaf ears. It appears that Christians like free software and counter arguments in favour of it with counter arguments about the free eSword from e-sword.net which, whilst free, takes forever to download all the modules, even with a broadband connection and each one has to be installed individually.

Give me SwordSearcher any day!

PS. Surely taking part in the vote would be breaking our Lord's command to pray in secret.
"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." [Mt 6:6 - courtesy of SwordSearcher 3.4]

Re: This is the best Bible Software available

Lance said:
I concur with this too but my efforts to promote it have always fallen on deaf ears. It appears that Christians like free software and counter arguments in favour of it with counter arguments about the free eSword from e-sword.net which, whilst free, takes forever to download all the modules, even with a broadband connection and each one has to be installed individually.

Well, it's not just Christians that like free software, most of my co-workers always go for free also, no matter what category of software we are talking about even when the product is inferior.

eSword is a good product and it has just a couple features that keep it on my hard drive. However, it simply is not near as good a program as SwordSearcher. Especially when it comes to the interface. In fact, I think Brandon's interface is far and way cleaner and more efficient than any other Bible software that I have used. Also, the major coup d'?tat that I think SwordSearcher has scored over everyone else is the ability to search for keywords across all commentaries, books, and Bibles, including user-created content, in one pass. You can't do that in eSword, or even with the $250 QuickVerse product that I was attempted to use two years ago. (I sold it and ran back to SwordSearcher in a hurry). That feature alone is well worth the money spent on SwordSearcher. I learned the hard way a long time ago that it doesn't pay to be stingy in all areas of your life. :) Time is money, and sometimes it pays more to spend a bit.

-- Jerry

Thanks for cheering me up Jerry. :D

....... but I do hate it when people hint at advantages without saying what they are. lol

Lance said:
Thanks for cheering me up Jerry. :D

....... but I do hate it when people hint at advantages without saying what they are. lol

Well, it had to do with the ability to compare text across multiple translations, but I'm trying to be sensitive about not starting a debate. If it weren't for that only thing I would have removed eSword a long time ago.

One other small thing that I like in eSword is the ability to highlight or underline text and have it stay, just like you might underline your in your Bible passages or phrases that you want to stick out later. Brandon, any chance of something like this in SwordSearcher?

I'm thrilled that these forums are here now. It's the one thing SwordSearcher was lacking that I was attempting to start with the SwordSearcher_help Yahoo group - a user community. Build it, and they will come. A vibrant, active group of users can really elevate a product and generate much interest and grass-roots growth.

-- Jerry

Jerry said:
...ability to highlight or underline text and have it stay, just like you might underline your in your Bible passages or phrases that you want to stick out later. Brandon, any chance of something like this in SwordSearcher?

It's currently being evaluated. It is possible. :)

Thank you for the replies. You see Jerry, Brandon has already picked this up. Not all good innovations are original. Indeed, some of the copies are better, since people learn from the mistakes of others.

Lance said:
Not all good innovations are original.

Heh, can you say "Microsoft?"

-- Jerry

I have long suspected Microsoft of taking other people's work and publishing clones under their own brand but when you get big you can get away with bullying others. Luckily, religious software has no appeal to these people so I think SwordSearcher is safe.

PS. Surely taking part in the vote would be breaking our Lord's command to pray in secret.

Reply from Poll Maker: Yes, we pray in secret. What about group prayer? It is secret what others selected. That is fine, it is only a question to make you consider, nothing to become defensive about.

Lance said:
whilst free, takes forever to download all the modules, even with a broadband connection and each one has to be installed individually.

Agree - I downloaded E sword twice. It took much time, too bulky and timely to reload when computer harddrive needed reformatted.

Jerry said:
One other small thing that I like in eSword is the ability to highlight or underline text and have it stay, just like you might underline your in your Bible passages or phrases that you want to stick out later.

Hi Jerry - I looked at your site. Now this forum is an effective manner for networking to those likeminded. Yes, underline and bold is a nice feature that makes the Bible customizable to recall how the Spirit speaks or enlightens us personally. I have developed the Quiet Prayer Bible that is in MS-Word and expands on this spiritual principle. Please review and tell me what you think. http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ne9w-hth/

I bought eSword to be supportive of that ministry, just as I bought SS and other software.

Can't say I ever really liked eSword too much. Well, I guess I liked the built in prayer request module.

But I was "drawn to it" by how many "oh wow" comments seem to be out there in cyberspace.

I still like and use SS very much -- especially Crowned With Glory! -- although I confess I do use Online as my primary Bible software. And yes I've purchased various Online CD's [including from Gary Gallant] to be an encouragement and support -- and because crashes happen!

Undoubtedly I will continue to use and appreciate and recommend -- and upgrade -- with SS. And I hope when I purchase my next upgrade to buy the devotional software too.

SwordSearcher, Online Bible, and e-Sword

I used to use Online Bible the most, and then discovered e-Sword. I sent Rick Meyers the $15 to support his ministry, and got the CD with the resources, saving a lot of download time. Although e-Sword is great for the price, I've never really stuck with it, although I can't say for sure why. For some time, Online Bible was my program of choice.

I purchased Swordsearcher some time ago (I don't remember the exact year), and ever since it has been my program of choice. It starts up fast, has great searches, and so far has provided all the features I need.

Online Bible has been great, but it still seems to show growing pains from its DOS days, and I find some operations quite un-intuitive. That said, I'm considering updating my CD-ROM to the newer 2.0 version...

I'm always checking out the latest programs just out of curiosity, but so far haven't found one better. Personally, I'd prefer the price to stay in the $40 or under price range, as I know I tend not to spend more than that for almost any program, but I realize Brandon has to make a living!

I do use a lot of freeware and Open Source, but I also purchase a lot of tools that I find really helpful, like Xplorer2 and I just purchased WhereIsIt?, which have been indespensible tools for file management!

Doug A.

Re: SwordSearcher, Online Bible, and e-Sword

magicref said:
I used to use Online Bible the most, and then discovered e-Sword .......
I purchased SwordSearcher some time ago (I don't remember the exact year), and ever since it has been my program of choice. It starts up fast, has great searches, and so far has provided all the features I need.

Online Bible has been great, but it still seems to show growing pains from its DOS days, and I find some operations quite un-intuitive. That said, I'm considering updating my CD-ROM to the newer 2.0 version ........

I think you will find that while OLB has improved in version 2, [2.02 to be exact] and is now issued as two discs, it is still far from reaching SwordSearcher perfection but it DOES have lots of bible modules in its favour.

Back