Notes Wiki Module Outline CloudStore ?

• Thread starter Anonymized member 1393
  • Start date
A

Anonymized member 1393

The short version-- I'm hoping for more advanced note editing tools and templates, and cloud storage for backup or running SS from.--

The long version
The Dilemma,
Frustration abounds for me, because I have notes I made in MSWord, or OneNote or SwordSearcher or theWord, or e-Sword, or Logos, or WordSearch, or Zotero, or Mendeley or ZimWiki or RedNotebook or AbiWord Or OpenOffice or LibreOffice or DidiWiki or something similar. And I stored them on an external USB2 drive, or was it the firewire drive or the e-sata drive or the raid drive or the thumb drive (pile) or was it an SD Card or the MS 2011 HomeServer, or was it on a skydrive or dropbox or UbuntuOne or Amazon storage or one of those? -That I tried because I had/have so much hardware problems that I can't seem to keep a computer for more than a few months before a reload or a something. I'm sick of Mac, Sick of Windows, and Linux is okay sorta but a lot of the software is not always stable. (SwordSearcher doesn't run on it without Wine and its not pretty)

The Concern,
Software vendors change their mind, or economics change and they can't continue, or they try a new venture. Things happen.

Cross Platform Cross Application Cross Storage
The content I worked on from all these machines and devices and platforms and software and so on, should be able to be found and searched and used by me. Pick one, is hard to realize, because none of this stuff is reliable because it depends on something else to be reliable too. Proprietary stuff makes it worse. You can't just write a program to import all the stuff from these multiple vendors into your new program without copy write infringements.

The Features I would like to see.
  • Portable SwordSearcher runs from thumb drive or cloud.
  • Cloud Storage SwordSearcher.
  • Text Editor that is easy to WikiLink and uses standard WikiMarkup (?) for uploading to WikiSites too, templates with task checking and cite (taken from site here or pdf there) or reference cues to help with outlining for us non-Academic types.
  • Pictures in notes with a web clipper or pdf clipper or screen clipper
  • Audio Tools module such as editing and lite enhancement, and note tagging. (note tag follows sermon time stamps for example)
So I don't really need 2500-10,000 books. I really need an easy to use and powerful NOTE TAKING and ORGANIZING application. That helps outline and cite and reference and link and be able to easily share and BACKUP on the fly to be accessed on the fly no matter what happens to my machine, or application.

You know... things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:28 (taken out of context)

Maybe something just like this forum software integrated into SwordSearcher?

There are many reasons why a one-size-fits-all data storage system doesn't work well in practice for something like SwordSearcher. I'll just mention one.

SwordSearcher does interesting things with the text in SwordSearcher. Automatic verse recognition when you save your user notes, for example, which are then integrated into an index for near-instantaneous lookup in SwordSearcher while the Bible margin is being built every time you view a passage. This is not just text. It's not just markup. It's binary data stored locally and needs to be accessed in millisecond timing to make the program work in interesting ways.

This usefulness comes at a price -- you actually have to use SwordSearcher to get SwordSearcher's features.

SwordSearcher's strength is not just that it has lots of books and commentaries. That's the easy part. What makes SwordSearcher something worth using instead of a web site, for example, is how all of that information is presented, integrated, transformed, and made interactive.

A lot of people wonder why SwordSearcher doesn't "just work" on their iPad or Mac or the web. It's because it's code written to take advantage of a specific system -- a local computer running Windows -- and maximize the advantages and capabilities of that system. The speed and interaction you can have in SwordSearcher exists because of it's software design.

The Concern,
Software vendors change their mind, or economics change and they can't continue, or they try a new venture. Things happen.

That's just as true for online-based systems, except that when a software company goes out of business, you can still use the software. When a cloud system goes away, it's just gone.

If you're worried about your user notes being locked in SwordSearcher at some point when you can no longer use SwordSearcher, you don't really have to worry about that. SwordSearcher has an export function for user modules that will let you "dump" the text into a file readable by text editors, which includes HTML markup. But I do understand that your post is about more than data lock-in.

Now, does what I am saying mean there will never be a "cloud" SwordSearcher or more platform support? No, but, it does mean that such things would be different projects than what SwordSearcher currently is.

Short Version
Okay how about a backup and restore/merge/sync button/menu/list?

Long Version
This usefulness comes at a price -- you actually have to use SwordSearcher to get SwordSearcher's features.

Thanks guys.

I decided to try SS from my 2011 MSWHS Server logged in as admin via Remote Desktop Connection. I works pretty good that way, but I could never get the Audio Bible to work because of something being disabled I couldn't figure out, and the Audio Bible is one of my favorite features.

So now I have SwordSearcher running in Windows 8 on a different machine, again, and will never really use it much for notes because I just don't trust that machine nor Windows 8...

The new (free for now) OneNote App for Win8 does link to Sword Searcher quite nicely however, click the link in OneNote, opens SwordSearcher and the correct verse. Of course OneNote is automatically synced online too, but as you mentioned Brandon, when MS decides they don't wanna play that tune any longer, you have to figure out what to do with the notes and links. I already went through a bunch of data loss because of that once. And besides... if you use an external program you miss the extra features available inside SwordSearcher!

Back