Odd problem...

Regie

Well, it's odd to me anyway, :) but I have been using "Copy all" to transfer all or parts of some modules into a different module. I do a full library search on a phrase in one specific module and it finds all the occurrences but when I copy them to a word processor and then go back to delete that entry in SwordSearcher, it does two things - it will lose some of the results in the search window and it will then show entries of things that do not even contain the search term.

Is there some kind of bug in the program or is the bug in me? :) I have version 7.0.1.5 (x64)

Thanks much,
Regie

I'm not clear on the steps your taking -- I'm confused about what you are copying and what you are deleting.

Well, first I do a search on the module using a phrase search for only that one module. It finds all the entries for that phrase in each individual entry in that module.

Since, I'm interested in transferring that information over to another module and removing it from the one in which I did the search, I next copy that information into a word processor.

After I paste it into the word processor, I then go back to SwordSearcher and delete that entry that I just copied.

After I do that, is where it all gets crazy. It still will show entries, but will no longer show all the entries that were there in the search results window that it did and it will also show entries in that module that were not there when I first got the search results.

The only thing I can do at that point is to just search again for the same phrase.

Please let me know if that does not explain it well enough.

Thanks,
Regie

I think I understand. Once you delete an entry from a module, the search result panel you are viewing isn't being updated with the changes to the module until you do a new search. Is that basically what you are seeing?

Right now all I can suggest is that if you delete entries from a module based on the search, you should re-do the search on that module to make sure the search results aren't acting weird.

I will log this for detailed review and a bug fix. Thanks for your report.

Yes sir, that is approximately what is happening with the exception that many of the searches ARE still there but it loses some and it gain entries that were not there at first in the search results - entries that do not even contain the phrase that I searched for.

I have thought that perhaps a re-installation might help but have no idea whether it will or not and/or how to go about to get a new installation unless you could perhaps email me something to rrrhodes773@comcast.net - you've got a wonderful program no matter what the problem is - I recommend it above any program I know of as much as opportunity presents.

Oh, perhaps if you run out of anything to do :) you could connect with my computer using TeamViewer or some program and watch me search and see if that would help figure out what is wrong just in case someone else were to come up with the same or a similar problem sometime.

Thanks,
Regie

I have thought that perhaps a re-installation might help but have no idea whether it will or not and/or how to go about to get a new installation

No, that would not change anything.

I do know what the problem is. It is a bug and has to do with the search results display and modules changing after the search result panel is loaded. While this is a rare situation, it will manifest under the steps you've outlined. It's a bug logged on the to-do list to fix.

Thanks much - you're a gentleman and a scholar. I'm just glad the bug was not in me. It's not something that I cannot work around, so I'm ok even though it is a little bit of a headache. Your program is worth it very much. Excellent work and excellent & kind response. May God bless you today and always.

Regie

You could export the module to a file and do the editing there. Cut from one module and paste to another using a text editor. Then use Forge to recreate both new modules. EditPad lite is a good, free text editor that would work. See http://www.editpadlite.com/

You could have both exported modules open in tabs. It has a great "find" feature to look for the text strings. If you are moving whole topics, you would copy from $$ in one module to another.

Thanks much! I managed to finish the job and all seems well. I've just been real busy doing so and was not able to get back with you easily. When I start a job, I'm not pleased until I see the last paragraph., :)

Back