Postcards from Kauai

Discussion in 'Coffee Table' started by Brandon Staggs, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Brandon Staggs

Brandon Staggs Administrator Staff Member

Long-time SwordSearcher users may remember sending order forms to Hanalei or Lihue in Hawaii. :) We recently took a trip back to visit family and spend some time on the island of Kauai once again. I lived there for 10 years and it was nice to be able to visit again.

I took an idea I got from a photography lesson to do "video postcards" -- really short clips showing where we were. These are all very short (about 20 seconds each) with no panning or zooming.

Here's Wailua Falls. This is about a 170 foot drop. It's not usually this heavy and the water was really dirty due to recently heavy rainfall.

Poipu Beach, next to Spouting Horn.

Pick a random road that heads to the coast and you'll usually find something like this. Audio muted due to wind. I've enhanced the brightness and contrast a bit so it looks more like what I remember seeing as opposed to what the camera recorded. :) This one looks the most like a postcard to me.

Kalalau Lookout. Overlooking the Na Pali coast from about 4000 feet up. Video muted (was too windy for any good audio).

Views from the pier on Hanalei Bay. I lived next to that furthest mountain for about 5 years; those waterfalls you can just barely make out were my back yard.

It was a blessing to be able to visit. It's nice to be back home now.

Ruthlyn and john.a like this.
  2. Johnny NL

Johnny NL Active Member

WOW !
    GOD's creation... Just wonderfully awesome !

3. wsbones

wsbones Beta Tester

We were on Kauai about 13 years ago. Thanks for the reminders. It's such a beautiful place.

4. marty

marty Beta Tester

What a cool idea - video postcards! Thanks for sharing! It's been 45 years since I was in Hawaii!

5. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

We have never been to Hawaii but we watch "Hawaii Life" whenever it's on (HGTV). We always
    comment on the colors, how did He come up with the colors?!!! And how He knew to combine
    white clouds with blue skies and green trees. I am in awe. How nice of you to share, thanks, Brandon.

6. Gord

Gord Beta Tester

It must be hard for you Brandon, you lived there. I only visited for 2 weeks. I have not been back for over 30 years, and I still miss the natural beauty of the islands and the natural beauty of the local people. Thank you for sharing the postcards.

7. Brandon Staggs

Brandon Staggs Administrator Staff Member

Yes, going back reminded me of many of the things I miss about the island. My wife was born and raised there. But, we are both pleased to be living in Oklahoma now.