Question Regarding Backup/Restore

pjfox777

I guess this might be a question for Brandon, but maybe a few of you have experienced something similar...

Long story short: We have relocated to bush Alaska as missionaries. Not all of our goods could come with us. In the confusion my copy of SwordSearcher did not make it! My laptop crashed and I had to reinstall.

Not a problem, I always keep a back-up of all my modules. So here is my question:

I downloaded the latest SS from the webpage and installed it. I then copied all of my backups/libraries over to the appropriate folder in SS. When I look at SS for the "Library Version" it says none is installed (version 0.0 I think). When I look at all my resources, they appear to be there though. Does this affect anything in using SS? I haven't had any issues yet, so I don't think it should, but was wondering if anyone else has had to do this.

Thanks!

You can't install the complete library from the evaluation version, it's just not in it.

If you restored all of the files that were previously installed in the \Program Files\SwordSearcher folder and you supplied your serial number, then you don't really need to do anything else.

If you would like to replace your CD, you can order the upgrade. As long as you have your serial number you will be able to install the full version from your upgrade CD (it has everything, not just the latest changes).

If you need any further help with the issue please send an email for private support. Thanks!

You can't install the complete library from the evaluation version, it's just not in it.

If you restored all of the files that were previously installed in the \Program Files\SwordSearcher folder and you supplied your serial number, then you don't really need to do anything else.

If you would like to replace your CD, you can order the upgrade. As long as you have your serial number you will be able to install the full version from your upgrade CD (it has everything, not just the latest changes).

If you need any further help with the issue please send an email for private support. Thanks!

Thanks Brandon. Everything was working good until I tried to edit the Illustrations module (I can't remember if that was one that came with the original CD or not. I have too many modules!!! LOL!) Anyway, I sent you an error report by e-mail through SS.

I went ahead and ordered another update CD. I feel more comfortable doing that anyway.

I would be curious to see why it crashed on me though...that is...if you have time to take a look at it. You can e-mail me or post here if you get the time. Either way.

I'm just glad to have my SS back! I didn't realize how dependent I've become on it for my sermon prep.!

Thanks again!

Peter

Your crash report shows that SwordSearcher was denied access to the file you were trying to modify. This can mean:

1. The user module file was put under Program Files instead of your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. Make sure any module you want to be able to edit is under Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. Depending on your settings in Windows, modern Windows versions will not always let you edit the file if it is under the Program Files tree. (If it worked before, it's likely that Windows was virtualizing the file location for you, and is no longer doing that on your new computer.)

or, 2. When you copied the module file back to your new computer, the file permissions were not set properly, or, the file is marked "read only." Find the module file on your hard drive (under your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder) and right-click it, and ensure that it is not marked read-only and that you have permissions on the file (ie that you could move it to a different location, etc.)

Your crash report shows that SwordSearcher was denied access to the file you were trying to modify. This can mean:

1. The user module file was put under Program Files instead of your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. Make sure any module you want to be able to edit is under Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. Depending on your settings in Windows, modern Windows versions will not always let you edit the file if it is under the Program Files tree. (If it worked before, it's likely that Windows was virtualizing the file location for you, and is no longer doing that on your new computer.)

or, 2. When you copied the module file back to your new computer, the file permissions were not set properly, or, the file is marked "read only." Find the module file on your hard drive (under your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder) and right-click it, and ensure that it is not marked read-only and that you have permissions on the file (ie that you could move it to a different location, etc.)

This right here is an example of why we should all take it to heart to pray daily for Brandon and his family as he requested (http://forums.swordsearcher.com/showthread.php?t=1594) just look how Brandon takes care of each and every care and issue we may have in this forum, let alone the perfecting and excellence in SwordSearcher itself, the improvements and additions, continually.

Listen, I'm not all kissy kissy (I hope it's okay to say that but you know what I mean) to celebs or people in the public eye and I'm not in to idol worship or fixating on the pastor instead of my Jesus - we all know how that's happening lately, okay, but just to be clear on this and to get to the nitty gritty and to be quite direct: Brandon's ministry and SwordSearcher and how he is all "Here am I" and so willing and loving to be used by the God of the whole universe - well, what a blessing to the whole earth, just think about that, the whole earth. For such a time as this..

So I strongly urge any and all of us to support Brandon in prayer from now until we are out of here, that he is God willing able to stay completely focused on this blessed work. A true brother in Christ.

Agreed TerriP! AMEN!

Back