Red Letter Edition

Chris

Beta Tester
Another feature I would love to see, one that I recall thinking about way back in the early days of the Sword Searcher program.

Would it be possible to create a red-letter edition of the King James Bible?

I have a Bible at home that has the words of Christ in red in the New Testament and the words of God in red in the Old Testament which I always thought was beneficial.

Another feature I would love to see, one that I recall thinking about way back in the early days of the Sword Searcher program.

Would it be possible to create a red-letter edition of the King James Bible?

I have a Bible at home that has the words of Christ in red in the New Testament and the words of God in red in the Old Testament which I always thought was beneficial.

An OT red letter edition? Interesting! Never heard of that!

Online Bible has a RL KJ but I have found some flaws it in (some things which should be red letter aren't).

I'm guessing something like this could be created via Forge, by a careful editor...

Online Bible has a RL KJ but I have found some flaws it in (some things which should be red letter aren't).

This is why I have resisted adding red-letter tags to the KJV text. My own printed Bibles do not agree on which items should be marked (and my main one isn't red-letter at all, by choice). In some cases, determining that text should be made red is a doctrinal decision. (I would imagine this would be even more of a factor for the OT.)

I'm guessing something like this could be created via Forge, by a careful editor...

Not currently, actually. For Bible texts, Forge requires plain text with no tags. If someone really does want to make a red-letter KJV modules for SwordSearcher, I could work with them to get it compiled, though.

This is why I have resisted adding red-letter tags to the KJV text. My own printed Bibles do not agree on which items should be marked (and my main one isn't red-letter at all, by choice). In some cases, determining that text should be made red is a doctrinal decision. (I would imagine this would be even more of a factor for the OT.)

Good point... hadn't thought of that.

-----
Not currently, actually. For Bible texts, Forge requires plain text with no tags. If someone really does want to make a red-letter KJV modules for SwordSearcher, I could work with them to get it compiled, though.

Brandon, has anyone discussed with you making a red-letter text yet?

If not, I might be interested in trying to work on a red-letter Gospel. I know there are certainly other portions of the Bible where we might find this beneficial, but this is in the main where I would desire to use it, and I would be willing to try to put in some time to creating a red-letter text module of just the Gospels.

It would probably be a bit down the road. I have some personal life transitions coming up. But definitely something I would be interested in.

Brandon, has anyone discussed with you making a red-letter text yet?

If not, I might be interested in trying to work on a red-letter Gospel. I know there are certainly other portions of the Bible where we might find this beneficial, but this is in the main where I would desire to use it, and I would be willing to try to put in some time to creating a red-letter text module of just the Gospels.

Nobody has offered to do the work on it as yet. It will be a lot of work and will require very careful and precise tagging of the source KJV text. When you get to a point where you believe you can take the time, I'd love to discuss it with you.

Nobody has offered to do the work on it as yet. It will be a lot of work and will require very careful and precise tagging of the source KJV text. When you get to a point where you believe you can take the time, I'd love to discuss it with you.

I posted a text file of red letter verse references at this location. It can be pasted into a user book. I think I created this manually by paging through my Thompson Chain Reference Bible several years ago. Anyway, the KJV hasn't changed since then :)

http://wsbones.googlepages.com/redletterverses.txt

I posted a text file of red letter verse references at this location. It can be pasted into a user book. I think I created this manually by paging through my Thompson Chain Reference Bible several years ago. Anyway, the KJV hasn't changed since then :)

This list is a good reference point. However, if I make a red-letter option for the Bible in SwordSearcher, it has to be tagged with more precision than just by verse.

For example, Revelation 1:8:
Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

This list is a good reference point. However, if I make a red-letter option for the Bible in SwordSearcher, it has to be tagged with more precision than just by verse.

For example, Revelation 1:8:
Revelation 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Absolutely.

Forge requires plain text with no tags. If someone really does want to make a red-letter KJV modules for SwordSearcher, I could work with them to get it compiled, though.

I did a test with Forge and a 1769 KJV plain text that I have. I used OpenOffice 2.0 to mark up some red letter text in Matthew 5 & 6 and save it as HTML. Then I compiled it with Forge and it worked fine producing a red letter version. The only problem is that my plain text KJV does not have italics so that would be lost. I could work on this over a period of time if the SS KJV marked up text is available as a starting point.

Here's an interesting factoid. From the above KJV plain text, I stripped out all the verse numbers, punctuation, Psalm prefix text (a Psalm of David ...), Pauline epistle postfix text (written from Rome, etc) leaving only the words of scripture and spaces between. Using a program, I then counted all the letters in the words and it came out to 3,224,508. If you look at that number as a phone number it spells EACH J0T. Just a concidence.

I did a test with Forge and a 1769 KJV plain text that I have. I used OpenOffice 2.0 to mark up some red letter text in Matthew 5 & 6 and save it as HTML. Then I compiled it with Forge and it worked fine producing a red letter version. The only problem is that my plain text KJV does not have italics so that would be lost. I could work on this over a period of time if the SS KJV marked up text is available as a starting point.

Well, it may look fine, but I can promise that there are indexing issues since the text isn't supposed to have HTML in it. I would imagine that the copy verses functions on the edit menu would also produce undesirable results.

I'll email you privately about where to go from here. Thanks.

Two quicker solutions perhaps?

One is to simply create a red-letter book. One thing I might add if I do this for myself would be an in-text outline, and also cull out that outline to form an introduction to each Gospel.

Second is to simply create a red-letter commentary, and only make an entry on those verses where you have red letters. In this case, I'm not sure I would include an in-text outline.

The commentary option might be better because that would also always show up in the Bible pane if you have your Comm. links on.

Again, my main concern is for having the Gospels done, and only for a quick reference for those times when I just want to double check.

I understand in general the comments you've made Bradon about what should be in red and what not, as well as the need for special tagging. Like Bill, I suspect I would use a trusted, published text to guide my red-letter verse selections.

Feedback?

I did make a couple of attempts on portions of Matthew and then tried compiling them via Forge. Let's just say -- not so good, and not a big surprise.

This would be a good basis to use to create a simple Comm. module as I have mentioned above.

Brandon, any way to add footnotes to the text -- much like the KJV translator's footnotes? Again, I'm simply looking for a quick solution, and mainly concerned with the Gospels.

Feedback?

This will take some time. Honestly, the only solution that would be satisfactory to me is a toggle for turning on and off red lettering in the Bible panel for the KJV. A commentary module is a possibility (one that anyone could do with Forge), but would feel like a half-way job to me, so it won't be an "official" means to the end.

Well, it may look fine, but I can promise that there are indexing issues since the text isn't supposed to have HTML in it. I would imagine that the copy verses functions on the edit menu would also produce undesirable results.

I'll email you privately about where to go from here. Thanks.

One of the interesting things about compiling the HTML font tag is that it does not show up in the text, but you can search for it and get a list of all the verses where it was used. That means you can search for the word "font" and find all the words of Jesus.

You are right about the copy function. The word, font, appears when you paste the verses into another place.

I'll play around with this for a while for fun, and we can work privately on where to go from here.

This will take some time. Honestly, the only solution that would be satisfactory to me is a toggle for turning on and off red lettering in the Bible panel for the KJV. A commentary module is a possibility (one that anyone could do with Forge), but would feel like a half-way job to me, so it won't be an "official" means to the end.

Brandon, any way to add footnotes to the text -- much like the KJV translator's footnotes? Again, I'm simply looking for a quick solution, and mainly concerned with the Gospels.

As long as we're wishing here, you may remember a while back that my wish list included the ability to 'highlight' verses or parts of verses and make notes in the 'margin' of our Bible - much like we might do in our life Bibles (that is, like the Bible that is nearest and dearest to my heart, with margin notes and verses highlighted, marking the highs and lows in my life and how God has dealt with and blessed me). We could be talking about a "user Bible" here, do you think? It could be set to sync with the Bible panel...

"user Bible"

Now that's an interesting idea, especially since the user editor already contains highlighting features. I will have to give that some thought.

Now that's an interesting idea, especially since the user editor already contains highlighting features. I will have to give that some thought.

It's exciting to think about being able to personalize my online Bible.

Thanks, Bones! What a neat deal! ?Qu? bueno!

It's exciting to think about being able to personalize my online Bible.

Couldn't you really already do that simply by creating a personal Comm. mode, and then using the editable feature of it to simply add thoughts like a journal as God moves you on a particular verse? Just a thought.

Couldn't you really already do that simply by creating a personal Comm. mode, and then using the editable feature of it to simply add thoughts like a journal as God moves you on a particular verse? Just a thought.

It wouldn't be the same. It would be a commentary, not a Bible.

But you might be able to create a commentary for your footnotes -- good thinking!

Back