Scripture: God Says It Twice

Discussion in 'Bible, Doctrine, and Other Topics' started by TerriP, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

Scripture: God Says It Twice

This began some time ago when I was reading the "verily, verily" Scriptures in John. It occurred to me that if God says something once, well, He's God, so anything He says is as strong and powerful and true as it gets. It's perfect, His Word is perfect.

But if He says it twice...! Just anything twice, but if it's a name, like "Samuel, Samuel" or "Martha Martha" or "Peter Peter".... There are no words to describe that. So I've been collecting the following ever since. If you have any to add, please tell me!

Genesis 9:9
    And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;

Exodus 15:16
    Fear and dread shall fall upon them; by the greatness of thine arm they shall be as still as a stone; till thy people pass over, O LORD, till the people pass over, which thou hast purchased.

Exodus 21:19
    If he rise again, and walk abroad upon his staff, then shall he that smote him be quit: only he shall pay for the loss of his time, and shall cause him to be thoroughly healed.
    Note: “thoroughly healed” here is Hebrew “rapha rapha.”

Leviticus 11:10-11
    10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: 11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

1 Samuel 3:10
    And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

2 Samuel 18:33
    And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!

2 Samuel 19:4
    But the king covered his face, and the king cried with a loud voice, O my son Absalom, O Absalom, my son, my son!

1 Kings 18:39
    And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.
    JEHOVAH, He is Elohiym; JEHOVAH, He is Elohiym.

Job 33:14
    For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.

Psalm 22:1
    My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

Psalm 29:5
    The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.

Psalm 29:8
    The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.

Psalm 68:8
    The earth shook, the heavens also dropped at the presence of God: even Sinai itself was moved at the presence of God, the God of Israel.

Psalm 75:1
    Unto thee, O God, do we give thanks, unto thee do we give thanks: for that thy name is near thy wondrous works declare.

Psalm 93:3
    The floods have lifted up, O LORD, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves.

Psalm 94:1-3
    1 O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself. 2 Lift up thyself, thou judge of the earth: render a reward to the proud. 3 LORD, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked triumph?

Psalm 116:16
    O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.

Psalms 123:3
    Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us: for we are exceedingly filled with contempt.

Psalms 129:1-2
    1 Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth, may Israel now say: 2 Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth: yet they have not prevailed against me.

Psalm 130:6
    My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.

Psalms 136:1-26
    1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. 2 O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endureth for ever. 3 O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endureth for ever. 4 To him who alone doeth great wonders: for his mercy endureth for ever. 5 To him that by wisdom made the heavens: for his mercy endureth for ever. 6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever. 7 To him that made great lights: for his mercy endureth for ever: 8 The sun to rule by day: for his mercy endureth for ever: 9 The moon and stars to rule by night: for his mercy endureth for ever. 10 To him that smote Egypt in their firstborn: for his mercy endureth for ever: 11 And brought out Israel from among them: for his mercy endureth for ever: 12 With a strong hand, and with a stretched out arm: for his mercy endureth for ever. 13 To him which divided the Red sea into parts: for his mercy endureth for ever: 14 And made Israel to pass through the midst of it: for his mercy endureth for ever: 15 But overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red sea: for his mercy endureth for ever. 16 To him which led his people through the wilderness: for his mercy endureth for ever. 17 To him which smote great kings: for his mercy endureth for ever: 18 And slew famous kings: for his mercy endureth for ever: 19 Sihon king of the Amorites: for his mercy endureth for ever: 20 And Og the king of Bashan: for his mercy endureth for ever: 21 And gave their land for an heritage: for his mercy endureth for ever: 22 Even an heritage unto Israel his servant: for his mercy endureth for ever. 23 Who remembered us in our low estate: for his mercy endureth for ever: 24 And hath redeemed us from our enemies: for his mercy endureth for ever. 25 Who giveth food to all flesh: for his mercy endureth for ever. 26 O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Isaiah 40:1
    Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.

Isaiah 43:25
    I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Isaiah 45:5-6
    I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

Isaiah 57:19
    I create the fruit of the lips; Peace, peace to him that is far off, and to him that is near, saith the LORD; and I will heal him.

Isaiah 62:10
    Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people.

Jeremiah 4:19
    My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war.

Jeremiah 7:4
    Trust ye not in lying words, saying, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, are these.

Jeremiah 22:29
    O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD.

Jeremiah 23:25
    I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.

Ezekiel 3:5-6
    5 For thou art not sent to a people of a strange speech and of an hard language, but to the house of Israel; 6 Not to many people of a strange speech and of an hard language, whose words thou canst not understand. Surely, had I sent thee to them, they would have hearkened unto thee.

Ezekiel 21:27
    I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.

Ezekiel 21:28
    And thou, son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD concerning the Ammonites, and concerning their reproach; even say thou, The sword, the sword is drawn: for the slaughter it is furbished, to consume because of the glittering:

Daniel 5:25-28
    25 And this is the writing that was written, MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN. 26 This is the interpretation of the thing: MENE; God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it. 27 TEKEL; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting. 28 PERES; Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians.

Joel 3:14
    Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision.

Amos 4:6-11
    6 And I also have given you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and want of bread in all your places: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. 7 And also I have withholden the rain from you, when there were yet three months to the harvest: and I caused it to rain upon one city, and caused it not to rain upon another city: one piece was rained upon, and the piece whereupon it rained not withered. 8 So two or three cities wandered unto one city, to drink water; but they were not satisfied: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. 9 I have smitten you with blasting and mildew: when your gardens and your vineyards and your fig trees and your olive trees increased, the palmerworm devoured them: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. 10 I have sent among you the pestilence after the manner of Egypt: your young men have I slain with the sword, and have taken away your horses; and I have made the stink of your camps to come up unto your nostrils: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. 11 I have overthrown some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the burning: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD.

Haggai 1:5-7
    5 Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways. 6 Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes. 7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

Matthew 7:21-22
    21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 23:37
    O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Luke 10:41
    And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

Luke 13:34
    O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Luke 22:31-32
    31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

John 1:51
    And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

John 3:3
    Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:5
    Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:11
    Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

John 5:19
    Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

John 5:24
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 5:25
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 6:26
    Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

John 6:32
    Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

John 6:47
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

John 6:53
    Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

John 8:34
    Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

John 8:51
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

John 8:58
    Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 10:1
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:7
    Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 12:24
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

John 12:26
    If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

John 13:16
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

John 13:20
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

John 13:21
    When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

John 13:38
    Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

John 14:12
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

John 16:20
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

John 16:23
    And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

John 20:19-21
    19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord. 21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

John 21:15-17
    15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

John 21:18
    Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

1 Corinthians 6:12
    All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23
    All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Acts 7:34
    I have seen, I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt.

Galatians 1:8
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Jude 1:15
    To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

2. wsbones

wsbones Beta Tester

Genesis 41:32 And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.

3. RevTim

RevTim Beta Tester

That's worth posting twice...

I filled the pulpit at my home church last Sunday and preached on "Consider your ways" from Haggai 1.5, 7.

It's interesting to consider why God should have to, and why He often does, repeat Himself. About anything.

4. shan

shan Member

De 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Mt 18:16 But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

2Co 13:1 ? This [is] the third [time] I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

It is obviously significant any time the Lord repeats something. With names or words to get our attention.

It seems to me that He repeats things to establish them. If He does not it is dangerous to build doctrine upon them. This is why some are on shaky ground claiming things based on one obscure verse in the scriptures.

For example; Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Any major doctrine or principle is based "at the mouth of two or three witnesses." It is always repeated

5. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

Psalms 56:10 In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.

6. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. - Exodus 3:4

7. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

Exodus 33:12-13 And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight. Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.

Exodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.​

8. TerriP

TerriP Active Member

This is very interesting:

Psalms 139:6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

"Too wonderful" here is pil-iy pil-iy pronounced pil-ee? pil-ee? ... Strong's 6383.... twice.

(I can't seem to get Hebrew font to work in here.)

9. RevTim

RevTim Beta Tester

Hebrew has no way to express comparatives such as "good, better, best." This is accomplished using repetition.

Thus "too wonderful" is actually an excellent translation. It's not something the psalmist is repeating as much as if he's saying "this knowledge isn't just wonderfully above / beyond me -- which it is -- it is TOO wonderfully above / beyond me!"

Another place this comes across in it's fullest sense is ~ Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

God is holy, but He's not just "good" holy, or "better" holy, He's the "best" holy there is, and there is none other holy better than He.

Hope this helps. Blessings as y'all con't posting things like this. It's a blessing to read.

10. Truckerboy

Truckerboy Member

Thanks Tim, that's a great post. [​IMG]

11. RevTim

RevTim Beta Tester

I think I had noticed your location before, but just came to me again now that you are in England. When I was a tiny tot my father was stationed there in the air force. We lived off base but (I'm guessing) in housing provided by the USAF.

I can still remember the name of the kid I always played with next door. He was a native. And somewhere I have pictures of myself and my family enjoying a day at an amusement park, but for the life of my the name escapes me. But I sure look like I was having fun in the pics.

Funny the things that come back to you.

12. Eudora

Eudora Member

NOTE TO TERRI P. I just wanted to share with you that not only does Jesus say things twice, this same concept is applied on things that He does twice as well. ;-)

13. Jonathan B

Jonathan B Member

When I was training in Melbourne Australia 35 years ago I was privileged to study under Dr. Leon Morris and he drew attention to the repetition of names when God addresses people and I have been on the look out for examples ever since. He suggested it was a characteristic of God's speech. If so, that is interesting because we get it in the OT as already mentioned above, then with Jesus during His earthly life and THEN again in Acts when He addresses Paul (Saul, Saul why do...etc Acts Ch 9). So I find that another indication of the Resurrection as the same speech pattern is maintained by God/Jesus consistently pre' and post Easter.

14. Ruthlyn

Ruthlyn Beta Tester

Isa 28:10-11 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Isa 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Isa 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015