SS Freezes Up (SOLUTION)

Jason W. Elder

This is the first time this has ever happened - My SwordSearcher program froze when I opened it up today.

Untitled1.jpg

I have to CNTRL, ALT, DEL, to do anything with it.

I've run virus scans, restarted the computer 2 or 3 times, closed other programs, but it still wont cooperate.

So far, SS is the only program that I'm having this problem with.

Any ideas?

Re: SS Freezes Up

This is the first time this has ever happened - My SwordSearcher program froze when I opened it up today.

Untitled1.jpg

I have to CNTRL, ALT, DEL, to do anything with it.

I've run virus scans, restarted the computer 2 or 3 times, closed other programs, but it still wont cooperate.

So far, SS is the only program that I'm having this problem with.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure how the window would be pushed down off the bottom like that, but I think what is happening here is that a dialog box is waiting for your input, but you can't see it because it is off the screen. Try pressing Enter, or Escape. Also, you can try using the WindowsKey+Tab button combo to see if there is a dialog off screen (In Vista that should show the full content even if it is off the screen).

If pressing Enter or Escape doesn't work, you can try pressing tab once and then enter. What that does is selects a button from the non-visible dialog and executes it.

If all of that fails, you will need to delete your SwordSearcher settings from the Registry. This is a last resort so please try the above steps first, and let me know what happens.

Jason, after some more reading, my suggestion is to open SwordSearcher, then press Alt+Space, Then M, and then use the up-arrow key to move the dialog into view. That combination ought to do the trick.

If it doesn't, you need to click Start, open the registry editor by typing regedit and Enter, and then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SwordSearcher\MainForm and delete the MainForm section -- that holds the default position information and deleting it should reset it.

I'm not sure how the window would be pushed down off the bottom like that, but I think what is happening here is that a dialog box is waiting for your input, but you can't see it because it is off the screen. Try pressing Enter, or Escape. Also, you can try using the WindowsKey+Tab button combo to see if there is a dialog off screen (In Vista that should show the full content even if it is off the screen).

If pressing Enter or Escape doesn't work, you can try pressing tab once and then enter. What that does is selects a button from the non-visible dialog and executes it.

If all of that fails, you will need to delete your SwordSearcher settings from the Registry. This is a last resort so please try the above steps first, and let me know what happens.

If it is off screen, what about right clicking on the clock and selecting cascade windows or show windows side by side?

Okay, I managed to find a way to make this problem repeatable, so here is the quick and easy fix:

Just press Enter. Then you can move the window up.

Here's the why: Somehow your SS window got closed when it was mostly off-screen. And when it next opened, the "check for updates" window came up. But you can't see it, and Windows won't let you do anything else with SS until you either close it or click ok. So pressing Enter just selects the default option, and lets you get back to work.

SS isn't actually frozen -- Windows just isn't letting you at the dialog that is asking your for attention. :rolleyes:

I'll be adding some code to prevent this from occurring in the future.

Try pressing Enter, or Escape.

wow, that was easy, I just pressed "Enter." It opened this LINK and now it seems to work fine. (I guess it was asking if I wanted to check for updates?)

The strange thing is, I had used Task Manager to toggle the screen (and maximize or minimize it) ...but I still didn't see a dialogue box... nor when I went WINDOWSKEY+TAB

Thanks so much. I swear the devil loves to mess with my computer on Saturday lol

But seriously, SwordSearcher has the best customer service of anything I've ever owned.

I say a hearty AMEN to that brother! :)

Ruthlyn

Back