SS KJVSL Question

eddiefrye

:grin:
Brandon,
First of all I have enjoyed SS V4.8 and have received today V.5, which I am enjoying as well. It is an awesome bible study tool.
:?:
We are currently studying the book of Nahum at church and so I was checking on the meaning of words with Strong's. The word furious is showing two definitions. Is this correct?

KJVSL
Na 1:2
? God la is jealous awnq, and the LORD hwhy revengeth Mqn; the LORD hwhy revengeth Mqn, and is furious leb hmx; the LORD hwhy will take vengeance Mqn on his adversaries ru, and he reserveth rjn wrath for his enemies bya.

God Bless and Thank you...
Eddie

KJVSL
Na 1:2
? God la is jealous awnq, and the LORD hwhy revengeth Mqn; the LORD hwhy revengeth Mqn, and is furious leb hmx; the LORD hwhy will take vengeance Mqn on his adversaries ru, and he reserveth rjn wrath for his enemies bya.

Hi Eddie and welcome to the Boards!

Here is what SS shows up for me:
Na*1:2

One thing which might help is by looking at the original KJ translators footnotes. Not always, but sometimes. In this case, the footnote for "is furious" says, "Heb. that hath fury."

Additionally, if you look at the Strong's def. for the first noun, "ba`al / bah'-al" it reads in part, "from 1166; a master; hence, a husband, or (figuratively) owner (often used with another noun in modifications of this latter sense)"

In this case the second noun is "chemah / khay-maw'" and the basic Strong's definition is "heat; figuratively, anger, poison (from its fever):--anger, bottles, hot displeasure, furious(-ly, -ry), heat, indignation, poison, rage, wrath(- ful)."

When two nouns appear consecutively in Heb. it's called a "noun construct" and normally you would read this as "(Noun) of (Noun)" so in this case it would be something like "Master or owner OF poisonous anger or hot displeasure / indignation" or (as the KJ translators chose, in effect) "one who is furious" -- which is explains their footnote, "that hath fury" (by extrapolation, "one / he that hath fury."

Looking at the two nouns involved certainly brings out the strong sense God was conveying here in "furious."

I hope this helps. Blessings!

Back