Step Reader or Step Format Conversion

glitchiker

I have a whole great deal of step format books. Is there a way that you can either in the future give us a step reader, or something to convert these older format step books into something readable through SwordSearcher?

:confused:

glitch

The STEP format is essentially defunct and the software development toolkit is no longer available. Unless I can find a way to license a STEP reader API (which as far as I know is no longer available), STEP compatibility won't be added to SwordSearcher.

Looks like it's a Perl script. One would need to install Perl on their system, run this script (from the command line), and then go through the RTF output with a word processor and paste in the entries into a user module.

You could probably use Forge if you loaded the RTF, converted it to HTML, and then manually went into the source code and tagged the entries according to the Forge documentation. There's no automated way to do this, however.

I have been doing your first option. Both ways seems to be about the same amount of work. I am just copying the information right out of for instance e-sword, and pasting it right into SwordSearcher as a book. I e-mailed Rick Meyers to see if he knew of a place to still get the Step Development Toolkit, or how to license an API, but I have not heard anything back yet. I like the look and feel of SwordSearcher much more as a program than e-sword. Anyway, thank you for your time, and I will keep you updated as to what I hear from Rick Meyers.

Back