Tabs Idea

Brother Mike

Hello Brandon

This was not really an issue when all the tabs showed, but now, with the feature of one line tabs (which I like), I just got to thinking:

Perhaps an option in the tabs option screen to display only those tabs that are in the active state?

Perhaps make a separate option for books and commentaries.

I could see some usefulness in it and just thought I would field it for comments.

Of course, from the development point of view, I have not idea how hard or easy that would be.

I know from usage, that if you choose the ones you most want to use, but then use the menu buttons at the top, the one you clicked on will now be viewable for that session. For example, I don't always want my personal notes and other modules that I am working on to have tabs displayed, except for when I am working on them. When I choose that module - even though it was not displayed as one of my tabs - now it is one of the tabs displayed, until I shut off the program. Hope that made sense.

Hi Jerry

Yes, I can see how that would be helpful for specific sessions, and I will have to try that out.

I was thinking more along the lines of dynamic hiding of inactive tabs.

Seems like it might make for a cleaner interface. But, as I said, just a thought that popped up.

Bro. Mike, what makes a tab active or inactive? (i.e. How would SS determine if a tab was active or inactive?)

I might not have been clear on this.

When a tab is active, I really meant inactive with a corresponding entry.

An active tab is one you are viewing and inactive, of course you are not viewing.

My idea was to set up where the tabs be automatically hidden when that book or commentary does not have any corresponding entry to what you have selected.

Right now, you can color code tabs that are active/inactive/inactive, but with entries specified.

Right now I have a red tab for my active, yellow for inactive, but with entries, and gray for just plain inactive.

When using single row tabs, there may be some inactive tabs with corresponding entries off of the pane. Being able ti hide plain inactive tabs would put more tabs with entries visible. This way, all of my gray tabs would be gone.

Aha! Thank you for the explanation. I tend to like things to stay put when I'm engrossed in studying so I don't have to break the train of thought while I look for something (I tend to forget what I was doing). A constantly changing tab lineup would frustrate me, so it would be good that this would be optional.

Back