The Common Man's Reference Bible? (KJV)

Discussion in 'Bible, Doctrine, and Other Topics' started by David Joseph, May 18, 2010.

1. David Joseph

David Joseph Member

Does any one use the The Common Man's Reference Bible (KJV) and if so how do you like it?

Thanks,
    David

2. RevTim

RevTim Beta Tester

Not sure I've heard about it. Is there a web site you can point me to where I can learn more about it?

3. David Joseph

David Joseph Member

4. David Joseph

David Joseph Member

Rev. Tim,

After some careful thought and prayer, I have chosen to buy it. I could provided a detailed review of it after it arrives...

Grace & Peace,
    David

5. kjvbible1611

kjvbible1611 Member

Not as good as Dr. Ruckman's, but is it excellent!
    I would probably call it a supplement to it.
    Gary

6. David Joseph

David Joseph Member

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your input. Not sure what "not as good" means... However, I think to two Ref. Bibles come from different approaches and motivations (I have been in communication with Bro. Hoffman). Hmm... If you could start a new thread and provide a detailed review of Dr. Ruckman's new Ref. Bible, I think that would be greatly appreciated as there is some aspects of his work that I value and perhaps some other SS users as well. It is not easy to find a KJV with "contemporary" and faithful KJV notes. I share this in all respect and grace.

thank you,
    david

7. kjv777

kjv777 Member

I have used The Common Man's Reference Bible for about a year and it is excellent. I also have The Ruckman Reference Bible and there are too many things I disagree with (read the Appendix). On page 1593 the passage heading for Titus 1:10-16 says "Paul's racist stereotyping". Paul does not make racial stereotypes. If your only buying one buy the Common Man's. You can also here Pastor Hoffman's preaching at: [FONT=&quot]www.purewordsoftruth.com/sermons [/FONT]

8. RevTim

RevTim Beta Tester

Very cool addition. Thanks.

9. David Joseph

David Joseph Member

I realize this is belated... Just wish to thank kjv777 for the Bro. Hoffman's sermon links! Since my first post here, I have been using the CMRB faithfully. For others, it is a worthy Bible to consider! Bro. Hoffman has a sermon about the distinctiveness of the listed references from this Bible and how to use any KJV Bible for your enrichment.
    I also want to add a note about Dr. Tabb's book on The Inspiration and Preservation of Scripture. Dr. Tabb is a faculty member at Gulf Coast Bible Institute. This book is very insightful and will only build one?s confidence in the KJV. How wonderful to have God?s Word in our hands! You can obtain a copy of the book from (http://www.gcbi.org/index.html)
    For His Glory,

10. Maggie

Maggie Member

Hi, I've just recieved The Common Man's Bible and think its great. I like the footnotes too! I would advice anyone to buy it, certainly worth considering.
    God bless you all, keep in the pure word and don't settle for anything else.:)

11. Will Dassow

Will Dassow Member

Yes, I have the Common Man's Reference Bible. It is a very nice KJV Bible that is not critical of the KJV. The references are excellent, the large type is easy to read and the Bible has plenty of room for personal notes. The only drawback is the fact that it does not have a concordance.

12. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

I just saw this and disagree, but not in the sense of being "politically correct" as today. I am not sure what sense of racist you are holding to? All I am trying to do is support the scripture and nothing else:)

God is against some things, even groups of people. Compare the Edomites, Amalakites, Moabites, etc. On the flip side God is even "for" enlarging a people........

Paul cannot be any clearer in verse 9 who God is discriminate against........in verses 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

The inhabitants of Crete had a reputation for being unruly, were noted as vain talkers, were a lazy, filthy (it was their character) race or group, nation, population of people and needed to be shut up. Paul was said not to be the most elegant of speakers and even called them "evil beasts!" He then said in verse 13 "This witness is true."

2 Corinthians 11:6 But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge; but we have been throughly made manifest among you in all things.

He also said we are to mark them........, so in verse 12 he is actually attacking a group or race of people. He did not exempt any of them. They rejected the truth.........

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

13. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

scribal error..........I meant he cannot be any clearer than in verse 12- sorry for the confusion

14. Valiantkjv

Valiantkjv Member

The Common Man's reference bible is the best reference bible out there by far. (As far a as a reference bible goes) A reference bible by definition is one that has references and the Hoffman has 60000 cross references compared to the Ruckman bible that has a little over 30000. Also to note that the Hoffman has doctrinal and devotional references and comments where ruckman's is just a condensed version of his commentaries. Both are rightly divided and KJV minded standpoints but if you're looking for a good reference bible the Hoffman wins every time, both 2nd editions have the same quality but the Hoffman is cheaper and has more references with more to study without the typical rants of Dr. Ruckman. I love Dr. Ruckman but if I wanted his opinions then I have his commentaries. Hope this helps, I am a KJV believer and teach a SS class and preach very often and have found that a Hoffman bible is the better buy with more to use in personal study.
    In Christ,

15. Gord

Gord Beta Tester

I just ordered mine yesterday from the KJV Store. My Scofield is road worn with electrical tape on the hardcover and well used sections have loose pages, it was time to look for a replacement that I wasn't worried about something else falling out of it.

16. Gord

Gord Beta Tester

I am amazed at the service to Canada from the KJV Store. I placed the order late Monday, pay pal cleared my bank Tuesday, and UPS delivered this Awesome Bible today. Great service, and the Bible itself, is better quality than I was expecting. The lambskin is soft and supple, compared to my Moroccan leather Cambridge. I can not recommend the KJV Store highly enough.

marty likes this.
  17. trapperhoney

trapperhoney Member

if you ever have a favorite Bible that is falling apart, there is a place that can rebind it and make it brand new (or even add blank pages for notes)

http://www.norrisbookbinding.com/

marty likes this.
  18. Will Dassow

Will Dassow Member

Yes, I have one. It is very well done. It doesn't have a concordance, but otherwise a good Bible. It has the pure AV text which is nice. Good reference Bible!