User modules not editable on Windows 7

Eric

Beta Tester
Hi, everyone. I have searched the forum threads, and I know this is not a new issue, but I tried what I could figure out from other threads and still can't get the user modules to be editable on a Win 7 machine. Fact is, I am not "fluent" with Windows 7 (have been using XP for years and years and still live in its "dark ages"). Yesterday I installed SwordSearcher 6 on someone else's computer. I think my problem is understanding how to tell a true directory (folder) from a linked one. As I recall (the computer is not where I am now), the files are in /Users/[User name/SwordSearcher User Modules. When I clicked on "Properties", I could tell that "Permissions" had a box next to it that was only partially selected (not a check mark, but not empty either). I clicked it until it was empty. Then I clicked "Apply". Seemed to stick, but when I relaunched SS and tried again – editing is impossible. And when I checked that folder again, the same settings were there. I searched the web and tried changing things in the Advanced tab, etc., but to no avail. I realize it'd be better if I had taken screenshots and saved them or posted my question while working on it, but I didn't think of that. I just gave up for the time being. Any thoughts? If not, I may try again and post details from the actual machine.

One thing you can check is if the module files are also (duplicated) in the Program Files/SwordSearcher/Modules directory. If they are, the program will open them from there first, and they won't be editable. You remembered the User directory pretty well - it's probably User/[Username]/Documents/SwordSearcher User Modules. I learned the hard way that if the same module is in both folders, only the one in the Program Files line will open in SwordSearcher, and it won't be editable.

I've forgotten how to find the error log - Brandon or Bill will know how. I'll go poke around and see if I can find it.

Thanks, Marty, I did make sure they weren't in both places. Must be something else (i.e., me).

The Module Error Log is supposed to be in the Help menu, but it's not there in my SS. Sorry I'm no help with this one! But I can maybe answer a couple other points in your post:
In the Permissions box that you mentioned, there are several Permissions that you can set - Read Only, Hidden, Read/Write, Archive. When only some of them are checked, the Permissions box will be shadowed, to show that there are some set, but not all. If all the choices were checked, the Permissions box would be totally checked.
The linked folder (or file) is just a shortcut to an actual folder (or file), so you can find it easier, for instance, from the desktop, instead of having to navigate through the directories to get to it. When you look at a shortcut there's a little arrow that will tell you that the listing is showing the shortcut, not the actual file. I'll attach a picture - it will show what a shortcut looks like in both Large Icons and Details mode. You'll notice the little curved arrow in the corner of the icon. Whenever you see that arrow, you'll know that you're looking at a shortcut.

Attachments

• _shortcuts.jpg
    _shortcuts.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
When you look at a shortcut there's a little arrow that will tell you that the listing is showing the shortcut, not the actual file. I'll attach a picture - it will show what a shortcut looks like in both Large Icons and Details mode. You'll notice the little curved arrow in the corner of the icon. Whenever you see that arrow, you'll know that you're looking at a shortcut.

Ah, yes. I recall that. I just found the Windows Explorer layout to be so different from the XP settings I used, that I was struggling to navigate it and just kept wondering if I was dealing with linked folders rather than real ones. I'll see when I'll have a chance to look into it again, and then I'll post more specific problems when I'm at the machine. It could be a (long) while before I get back to it. :)

On a normal installation of Windows 7 you should not be running into any kind of linked folders issues with a default SwordSearcher installation. The user folder should be a real folder.

When you say you can not edit a user module, is it possible to create it and it's just not editable? Or is it impossible to create one at all? Are you working with modules you've copied over from another computer?

If it's just not editable, are you able to open the editor at all? There is a problem with certain versions of IE matched with older versions of SwordSearcher that can cause the save button to not function, but I am not sure that's applicable to your case.

On a normal installation of Windows 7 you should not be running into any kind of linked folders issues with a default SwordSearcher installation. The user folder should be a real folder.
Maybe that was a red herring. Since the icons looked so different to me and I had trouble understanding the hierarchy of files in Windows Explorer, I may have just been thinking incorrectly.

When you say you can not edit a user module, is it possible to create it and it's just not editable? Or is it impossible to create one at all? Are you working with modules you've copied over from another computer?
Actually, I made a new user commentary for the new user to fill in. SS6 made the user commentary just fine. The only things I copied over were non-English Bible modules and I put them in same folder where SS6 put the user commentary. The user Bibles work fine.

If it's just not editable, are you able to open the editor at all? There is a problem with certain versions of IE matched with older versions of SwordSearcher that can cause the save button to not function, but I am not sure that's applicable to your case.
I can open the editor and write anything I want. But "Save" is grayed out. "Save and Close" is available, but it does not save, just closes.

I can open the editor and write anything I want. But "Save" is grayed out. "Save and Close" is available, but it does not save, just closes.

If you switch to the code edit tab, make a small change, and then switch back, does the save button become enabled?

Back