Windows 7 Tablet

5UKM

I am toying with the idea of buying a Windows 7, 10" tablet ... BUT .. only if I could use Sword Searcher on it. My question is to those who know about these things ... Would Sword Searcher load onto & work on a touch screen tablet ? I have read 'Yes', it will do anything a regular PC will do. And I have read 'No', not all windows programs work. What am I to believe ? I am hoping some of you good folks can tell me, & in advance .. Thank you !

SwordSearcher will work on a Windows 7 Tablet PC. However, just be aware that presently, SwordSearcher is not optimized for touch-based input, though it will work. In fact, I am currently working on some minor improvements so that it will be more "touch friendly" in the next update.

Big thank you for your very prompt reply. Good news for me, I can now start looking for tablet to suit me.

I am wanting to get either a tablet or new laptop. Just saw this thread. Brandon is the update available now that SS will work fine on a tablet? If not I might wait a while.

thanks

I am wanting to get either a tablet or new laptop. Just saw this thread. Brandon is the update available now that SS will work fine on a tablet? If not I might wait a while.

thanks

Stay tuned -- I will have news about this in about a week. Thanks for your patience!

Hello everyone from little "Rhody"!

On purchasing Win 7 tablet suggestion:

You might want to wait if possible for the Win 8 tablets that should be coming this year. From what I have read, Win 8 will have a stronger user interface for tablets with "touch" features and require less computer resources (RAM, CPU, etc.) then Win 7. Also, the GUI (graphical user interface) might be more to your liking or not.

Good luck with your purchase. :grin:

John

Hello everyone from little "Rhody"!

On purchasing Win 7 tablet suggestion:

You might want to wait if possible for the Win 8 tablets that should be coming this year. From what I have read, Win 8 will have a stronger user interface for tablets with "touch" features and require less computer resources (RAM, CPU, etc.) then Win 7. Also, the GUI (graphical user interface) might be more to your liking or not.

Good luck with your purchase. :grin:

John

Windows 8 is going to be very confusing from a consumer standpoint. Microsoft is going to be releasing versions of Windows 8 for different hardware profiles. The vast majority of existing software will only work on Windows 8 when it is on "x86/x64" hardware (like current desktop and mobile Windows machines). Windows 8 tablets based on ARM architecture will not run any existing Windows software. No longer will software publishers (like me) be able to say "if you have Windows it will work." :rolleyes:

These Windows 8 tablets are still a long ways off, too. When they do come, the "Windows 8 Metro tablets" will only be able to run Metro software designed for Windows 8 Metro.

SwordSearcher will work on Windows 8 in desktop mode, and also probably on Windows 8 tablets that are based on Intel CPUs with a "desktop mode." But at this point the future of Windows 8 tablets is still mired in too much fog to make any definitive decisions...

thanks

Version 6.2 (details here) contains numerous improvements for touch- and stylus-based input. Using SwordSearcher 6.2 on a Windows 7 based tablet or slate PC will give a great user experience. It's still primarily a mouse and keyboard-driven program, but it will work very well with touch screens and tablets.

Thank you Sir. Now, tell me please, do I have to put my original SwordSearcher 5. onto the tablet & then the new upgrade 6.2 to overwrite it ? Or, can I just put the 6.2 upgrade on & just use the original serial number ? So far I have just added the upgrade, but that has always been on the same machine, & it found the serial number for itself.
I am not too computer savvy, but I just love this SwordSearcher program. So simple even I can use it. :grin:

Thank you Sir. Now, tell me please, do I have to put my original SwordSearcher 5. onto the tablet & then the new upgrade 6.2 to overwrite it ? Or, can I just put the 6.2 upgrade on & just use the original serial number ? So far I have just added the upgrade, but that has always been on the same machine, & it found the serial number for itself.
I am not too computer savvy, but I just love this SwordSearcher program. So simple even I can use it. :grin:

When you buy a SwordSearcher upgrade CD, you get the exact same CD that a new customer gets. All you need is your serial number and you can install the full version on a fresh computer, no problem.

:roll:

thanks
Hey I just received my 6.2 S Searcher update thankyou.My laptop is really old...I will be shopping for a tablet or a new laptop this week. 1. Which model do you suggest please for the tablet? .2. For a laptop what size screen is good for the program presentation considering I was going to take it to work occasionally too.
:Dthanks Kevin

:roll:
Hey I just received my 6.2 S Searcher update thankyou.My laptop is really old...I will be shopping for a tablet or a new laptop this week. 1. Which model do you suggest please for the tablet? .2. For a laptop what size screen is good for the program presentation considering I was going to take it to work occasionally too.
:Dthanks Kevin

If you are looking for a tablet PC to run SwordSearcher, I would suggest the Samsung Series 7 Slate with a dock and keyboard as a good option, though I do not own a tablet PC myself. For laptops, you should really get a look at the different screen sizes to see what you like, maybe walk into a Best Buy and see what they have.

Well, finally I got myself a tablet pc .. MSI Windtab 110W .. & SwordSearcher works a treat on it. Bible takes up half page, Books/Dictionaries & Commentaries take up the other half as & when called up. Such a great system to work with. Bit small but very clear & absolutely no problem to these old eyes.
I do have a problem though .. my big desk monitor is big enough so I can have the full Library of modules showing on their tabs. Now though, with such a small screen I am going to have to pick & choose which modules to show. Now that is going to take some doing. I just praise God for such a problem.
I was 40 years at sea, & I was very limited as to the library of study books I could carry with me, & had to choose very carefully. It would have been great to have the setup I now have. All those books that I did carry with me are to be found in the Sword Searcher library, plus of course a whole heap more.
A big thank you to Brandon, & to those others of you who have so wonderfully contributed to the module selection. I just love this forum too, & have learned a lot just following the various conversations. Great !

I do have a problem though .. my big desk monitor is big enough so I can have the full Library of modules showing on their tabs. Now though, with such a small screen I am going to have to pick & choose which modules to show. Now that is going to take some doing. I just praise God for such a problem.
I was 40 years at sea, & I was very limited as to the library of study books I could carry with me, & had to choose very carefully. It would have been great to have the setup I now have. All those books that I did carry with me are to be found in the Sword Searcher library, plus of course a whole heap more.
Would it help if you set up the tabs as a single row? (That would be in Preferences.) All the tabs will still be there, but not taking up window space...
I know what you mean about having this SwordSearcher library - I used to be buried under several huge books when I studied - so cumbersome and time consuming! SwordSearcher is a real blessing! I can never tell Brandon enough how much I appreciate his work! You can see our Lord's hand all over it! :)

.. tabs as a Single Row ! works just fine. Like I said, I keep on learning, God is good. Thank you Marty, that will save me a whole lot decision making. Seems everything is thought of, thanks Brandon.

Back