User-friendly for those whose native language is not English

Mairi Stewart

A complete list, cross referencing spellings would be helpful. For instance, I noticed the usage of "plow" and "plough". They did not cross-reference. Going by what appears in the KJV it might look like "plough" was used as a noun, and "plow" was used as a verb, but that may not necessarily be true. If you look under "plough" in a dictionary, all you may get is that it is a variant of "plow." It is appears that "plough" may still be used in Britain. (Like "honour" for "honor", etc.) Somone who speaks a foreign language tries to read the KJV. They may know the word "plow" but not "plough." Likewise, they may know "show" but not "shew". (then there is the issue of pronunciation. I don't know how many people I have heard saying the word "shewbread" pronouncing the first syllable the same as the word "shoe"!! Some brief grammatical notes, arranging the words in a sentence and merely substituting modern spellings and in some cases, a slight rearrangement of word order, for a sentence might be helpful. I think it would be a shame for someone who is trying to read our genuine English Bible to have to go to another translation. One would probably need a complete list of every single word in the correct version to even begin. I would do it myself, if I had a background in Greek and Hebrew (for the word order issues), but I'm in the middle of another project right now anyway. I think there is a real gap here, and such a set of notes would be a good thing. Also used in conjunction with the books on idioms for the Biblical languages and ones for English. Also, the KJV fixed the English language, and there are those of us who do believe that there is an attempt underway (and has been for some time), to re-write the dictionary and change the meaning of the Bible. Destroy the language. I think we should consider preserving the Bible as going hand in hand with saving our language.

Oh this sounds like it could be a module idea.
I use the KJV Word list -> [F2] Bible Search and then next to the word you want to search is a box that says -> "View Word List", to find words like plow and plough. But I don't buy tyres I buy tires for my car, and um I still like the color blue bit will settle for the colour blue. We don't get a Pottle of Chips (NZ) from McDonalds anymore because they are unhealthy just like the Box of Fries were. But that certainly isn't because it belongs to a "neesh" market or a "nitch" (Niche)… But I hear ya.... I used to give out audio Scourby KJV Bibles as gifts when I perceived the Bible speaker/teacher/pastor had difficulty with proper pronunciations. ;)

I also keep and use the 1828 Websters dictionary (used to have a printed version because the electronic versions in Bible apps are a bit flawed and need some corrective edits) and I use the 1913 Webster's. I have a different Bible app on my phone that I can include ENGLISH Etymology, and the Oxford Dictionary for comparison as I study ENGLISH word definitions.

But you know the devil has been hard at trying anything to get people away from the King James Bible and even turning normal every day words of the day they were written in to a curse word. Just like the name of the very animal Jesus made His triumphal entry on. And others that some used to blush to speak. I've heard others belched out of the pulpit used as a deliberate curse but with the fiery thump and affirmation "but hey that's a bible word"... And I can't count how many times many of the same use the very name of God in the same fashion as a curse. -so it appears to me the attitude of the heart- is important.

Some will come to the King James Bible and want to change it to suit their taste.
Some will come to the King James Bible and want to change their taste to suit their Bible.

Modules that help us keep track of names and places and so on are a great idea, and I will admit to resorting to other resources that do have those tools when further study is required. I just load up on tools since I have the perfect text to define in my King James Bible. Nothing beats SwordSearcher for deep reference study -nothing else like it out there.

Oh this sounds like it could be a module idea.
I use the KJV Word list -> [F2] Bible Search and then next to the word you want to search is a box that says -> "View Word List", to find words like plow and plough. But I don't buy tyres I buy tires for my car, and um I still like the color blue bit will settle for the colour blue. We don't get a Pottle of Chips (NZ) from McDonalds anymore because they are unhealthy just like the Box of Fries were. But that certainly isn't because it belongs to a "neesh" market or a "nitch" (Niche)… But I hear ya.... I used to give out audio Scourby KJV Bibles as gifts when I perceived the Bible speaker/teacher/pastor had difficulty with proper pronunciations. ;)

I also keep and use the 1828 Websters dictionary (used to have a printed version because the electronic versions in Bible apps are a bit flawed and need some corrective edits) and I use the 1913 Webster's. I have a different Bible app on my phone that I can include ENGLISH Etymology, and the Oxford Dictionary for comparison as I study ENGLISH word definitions.

But you know the devil has been hard at trying anything to get people away from the King James Bible and even turning normal every day words of the day they were written in to a curse word. Just like the name of the very animal Jesus made His triumphal entry on. And others that some used to blush to speak. I've heard others belched out of the pulpit used as a deliberate curse but with the fiery thump and affirmation "but hey that's a bible word"... And I can't count how many times many of the same use the very name of God in the same fashion as a curse. -so it appears to me the attitude of the heart- is important.

Some will come to the King James Bible and want to change it to suit their taste.
Some will come to the King James Bible and want to change their taste to suit their Bible.

Modules that help us keep track of names and places and so on are a great idea, and I will admit to resorting to other resources that do have those tools when further study is required. I just load up on tools since I have the perfect text to define in my King James Bible. Nothing beats SwordSearcher for deep reference study -nothing else like it out there.

WHAT I TRY TO DO is get a pdf made from a scan of an original book, like the original Strong's Concordance, Cruden's, etc. and other items in case a question ever arises (especially with online resources). The Digital Archive website is a treasure trove of old books, but although they have improved their search function considerably, it can be difficult to find things on the website. They have the Noah Webster 1828 Dictionary, but you have to be careful because some scans (and originals) are better quality. Always check to make sure it got all the pages. This software is really excellent, it has digitized a lot of older reference books which saves so much re-typing when making notes that It's mind-boggling to think about. Some of the files you can find on the internet in PDF form may have more than one file for a single book, especially if it is a very large book, so you have to make sure you get it all. I found the first edition or rather the forerunner of the Oxford English Dictionary, it is called (I think) the NED. I have a printed 2-volume (really tiny print) of the 2nd editition of the OED, it cost me about $75.00 several years ago, but it is really heavy. I wish someone who has the 30+ volume version without the tiny print would scan the whole thing and get it out on the internet. Finding a complete set in good condition it would probably still be very VERY expensive. I also ended up investing in a portable hard drive because a lot of the files are huge. Yes the KJV was produced in Britain and uses British spelling, but my point was that sometimes foreigners are learning modern spelling (British or American) and would not know what to type into the search box. Also quite a few Americans have trouble with the British spelling variations.

I appreciate your topic and ideas a lot! :)
Yes the KJV was produced in Britain and uses British spelling, but my point was that sometimes foreigners are learning modern spelling (British or American) and would not know what to type into the search box. Also quite a few Americans have trouble with the British spelling variations.

As they hear or see the new to them word, at that point they may wish to discover the definition of that word the way it is spelled in the King James Bible using a Tool that will define the word as spelled in the King James Bible. And move on to looking at context and other uses and cross references, as it sits today from tools that do just that. Then with a fuller understanding of that word, because they can now define it... as it was meant to be, in use... they can plug in what they learned about the entire process and keep going.

You know a person can still read for themselves and study as much or as little as they are willing to. Learning more doesn't exclude but rather include. Noticing -why is that spelled or said/written different?- will bring up a deeper search and the next time somebody says "yeah but it really means (insert false doctrine different definition and missed idea here so they can look really smart and make the Bible look flawed)... cuz the Greek or Hebrew or whatever says....; at that point the student can say, "but that isn't the English word that has already been precisely and accurately translated... you are re-translating".

WHAT I TRY TO DO is get a pdf made from a scan of an original book, ... make sure you get it all. I found the first edition or rather the forerunner of the Oxford English Dictionary, it is called (I think) the NED. I have a printed 2-volume (really tiny print) of the 2nd editition of the OED, it cost me about $75.00 several years ago, but it is really heavy. I wish someone who has the 30+ volume version without the tiny print would scan the whole thing and get it out on the internet. Finding a complete set in good condition it would probably still be very VERY expensive. I also ended up investing in a portable hard drive because a lot of the files are huge. ...

They want a bunch to sign up at OED.com too and I can't afford that either, so I use what I can if I need it, but much of the KJB explains itself when you have tools like SwordSearcher, and even if the dictionary's there contradict each other, it makes it even more fun to see who got it right. It's just how it is, and when the debate comes up on a words meaning, guess who has the deeper answer? The student who studied more usually, and prayed for wisdom and the correct answer. But that is life in my live trench where I live, YMMV.

Thanks again so much for the topic and thoughts.

EDIT...
I over think or over speak what could probably have been said in one sentence such as; "neat idea, do you happen to have an example in a SwordSearcher user book already?"

Last edited:
Plow or Plough

The word Plough is only used 1 time in the King James Bible, but the word Plow (or stem) is used 26 times in 23 verses.

Is it possible that something beyond merely a different spelling of this word is about to be planted?

Plough = And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. (Luke 9:62)

Plow = The first uses of the action of plowing and working the ground would be…

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. (Genesis 2:5)

Then the fall of man through sin brings the curse upon the ground and

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. (Genesis 3:19)

Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. (Genesis 3:23)

Enter the occupation of the first murderer and his victim and occupation..

And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. (Genesis 4:2)

So we are introduced to something like “Plowman causes death of Keeper of the Sheep

[Plow] Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Romans 5:12)

[Keeper of the Sheep] I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. (John 10:9)

You could make a general summarization of the plowing by man and his work in this next verse, but these 25 other times “plow” is most related to carnal physical work done by man
(De 22:10; Jg 14:18; 1Sa 14:14; 1Ki 19:19; Job 1:14; Job 4:8; Ps 129:3; Pr 20:4; Pr 21:4; Isa 2:4; Isa 28:24; Isa 61:5; Jer 14:4; Jer 26:18; Ho 10:11,13; Joe 3:10; Am 6:12; Am 9:13; Mic 3:12; Mic 4:3; Lu 17:7; 1Co 9:10)

Ye have plowed wickedness, ye have reaped iniquity; ye have eaten the fruit of lies: because thou didst trust in thy way, in the multitude of thy mighty men. (Hosea 10:13)

So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. (1 Corinthians 15:42-47)

As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. (Joh 10:15)

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. (Isa 53:10)

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off. (Isaiah 55:7-13)

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: (1Pe 3:18)

Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: (Galatians 1:4)

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;(Re 5:9)

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (Romans 6:4)

And Jesus said unto them,
Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men. (Mark 1:17)

Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. (Luke 9:60-61)

Plough = And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. (Luke 9:62)

Transferred from a plowman to a ploughman.

William Tyndale gave his life to bring us the Scriptures in English -- “I defy the Pope and all his laws, if God spare my life, I will make a boy that driveth the plough know more of the Scripture than thou dost.”

Not all who received that work were literate nor learned, but had the Scripture available to them and it was the goal of Tyndale that the Scriptures could be available and known better by those common people who accepted it, than the highly educated scholars. His last words at his Martyrdom “"Lord, Open the King of England's Eyes" and the work he died for, carried on in the translation of the King James Bible finished in 1611

Today, we have access available to the King James Bible that anyone who wants to learn, can easily search and learn and see at their own fingertips… We all have computers, and cell phones or access to them, with tools available to search out any word passed down by faith loving faith building preservation. Don’t change it, plough on. Dig deep with new eyes of faith. Don’t let the doubting scholars tell you it’s broken and needs them to plow it for you, with change after change and version revisions ad nauseum, to make you doubt it.

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. (John 4:23)

And just like always the superiority of this King James Bible as is shines through 😊

I didn't mean I would program the list. My programming skills are VERY basic. (Think 1992.) I would set it all up the long way in OneNote and hand it over to a programmer. I would mark each type of item with a special symbol from the Unicode List that won't be used for basic text. I have more ideas than I could possibly implement. Someone said use hash tags and I know what they are but don't know how to effectively use them. They probably don't suit my mindset. My daughter knows programming but she is in another State. I may need to learn a database, I think. I used to be a world-champion-class file clerk but now I'm just an aging Baby Boomer trying to keep my tablet from stalling out on me with the memory demands on it, watching you folks blog and trying to follow along. I spent an hour last night trying to figure out what I did wrong trying to install the Constable notes. I went to the Help menu to make sure I had moved the extracted files to the right directory, and apparently I did. I can guess the program will already do some things I haven't tried yet. I don't know how the person who replied to me came up with so many returns on his search, I got only about eight. The videos help somewhat. It's probably just me.

Last edited:
Back