Module icon

User-submitted Dr. Thomas Constable Notes (pdf format) 2018-12-06
Very good notes for each book of the Bible in pdf format

No permission to download

wsbones

Beta Tester
wsbones submitted a new module:

Dr. Thomas Constable Notes (pdf format) - Very good notes for each book of the Bible in pdf format

Unzip to your SwordSearcher user directory. This will create a folder called TCENp-Assets which will have only a bookshelf image in it for now.

You will need to download the PDF files for yourself. They are located here:
https://www.planobiblechapel.org/tcon/notes/pdf/

Move the pdf files into the TCENp-Assets folder and everything should work correctly. You can click on each book in the bookshelf and it will open the correct pdf file.
View attachment 1153

Read more about this module...

wsbones submitted a new module:

Dr. Thomas Constable Notes (pdf format) - Very good notes for each book of the Bible in pdf format

Read more about this module...

DONE !!!!
Wow! Thank you Sir.
2:00 Am, and diggin' into this like a kid in a candy store.
Fully downloaded, locked and loaded, fully operational.
Very enjoyable, and so nice, there is maps, and all kind of info.
Thanks again Mr. wsbones.
And of course Ya'all remember.... save, back up, and save one more time !! Ye don't wanna loose all that good data !
(running out of coffee...☕☕☕😁....not!)

Hey wsbones. Is there a way that I can use the framework (book & image) to create a similar module for other pdf commentaries I have?

Hey wsbones. Is there a way that I can use the framework (book & image) to create a similar module for other pdf commentaries I have?

If the other pdf's are organized by book of the Bible, the framework will function correctly. You would need to make a module called X (any name) and a folder called X-Assets. In module X you would create a topic called _Bookshelf. In the folder X you would put your put the image called bookshelf.png and all the pdf files named by book of the Bible using the exact same names that I used. Look in the TCENp-Assets folder as an example for naming the pdf files.

The last step would be to copy the code from my _Bookshelf_code.txt into your _Bookshelf topic using the code editor. Attached is the code. _Bookshelf will be the only topic in your module. It will call and display the file in the X-asset folder when you click on the book of the Bible.

I also attached the image - bookshelf.png

Attachments

• _Bookshelf_code.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 464
  • bookshelf.png
    bookshelf.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 528
If the other pdf's are organized by book of the Bible, the framework will function correctly. You would need to make a module called X (any name) and a folder called X-Assets. In module X you would create a topic called _Bookshelf. In the folder X you would put your put the image called bookshelf.png and all the pdf files named by book of the Bible using the exact same names that I used. Look in the TCENp-Assets folder as an example for naming the pdf files.

The last step would be to copy the code from my _Bookshelf_code.txt into your _Bookshelf topic using the code editor. Attached is the code. _Bookshelf will be the only topic in your module. It will call and display the file in the X-asset folder when you click on the book of the Bible.

I also attached the image - bookshelf.png
Sweet!! :)
Thank you wsbones. I guess I know what I'll be doing for a while!

I tried to do as originally stated and got the Assets folder but found nothing in my SS program so I can use it inside the program.

But, I have been working for a few days to put all this in SwordSearcher - tons of formatting to do, etc. and the footnotes are the biggest problem, which I figure I can only remove when (and if I ever) get through with the project (or until I give up). I had already gotten the PDF files from that site and had been working on them for my own private use, since it has copyright notices mixed in with the works.

Since another bible program has installed an older version of Constable's works, having obtained permission as best I can tell, I was hoping SS could obtain permission to use his 2019 version. Does anyone here know whether or not this can be done?

As best I can tell, the work that wsbones has done provides only the PDF files of the work. I like to have things in the SwordSearcher program such that I can search them, having all the verses formatted, for my favorite part of SS is the ability to search individual verses inside of books as well as commentaries - I know of no other program that will do that.

Can anyone here provide me further insights into all this?

Thanks,
Regie

I tried to do as originally stated and got the Assets folder but found nothing in my SS program so I can use it inside the program.

But, I have been working for a few days to put all this in SwordSearcher - tons of formatting to do, etc. and the footnotes are the biggest problem, which I figure I can only remove when (and if I ever) get through with the project (or until I give up). I had already gotten the PDF files from that site and had been working on them for my own private use, since it has copyright notices mixed in with the works.

Since another bible program has installed an older version of Constable's works, having obtained permission as best I can tell, I was hoping SS could obtain permission to use his 2019 version. Does anyone here know whether or not this can be done?

As best I can tell, the work that wsbones has done provides only the PDF files of the work. I like to have things in the SwordSearcher program such that I can search them, having all the verses formatted, for my favorite part of SS is the ability to search individual verses inside of books as well as commentaries - I know of no other program that will do that.

Can anyone here provide me further insights into all this?

Thanks,
Regie

P.S. Well, on another try, I got it. Thanks.,

In Swordsearcher try typing Ctrl-m (show modules). Then type apo to find the module. Then shift click on the module. That should put it in your Books and Dictionaries panel.
I followed the instructions exactly to install the Thomas Constable Notes. I exited the program first.I looked under the file menu to make sure I was using the correct directory to unzip it in. I restarted the program. This was my second attempt at installing. It will not show as installed. Could you make a suggestion as to what I did wrong? Also it keeps taking away the top bar that has the minimize / resize and exit buttons. I'm using a pen for a mouse as my touchpad and mouse drivers both got clobbered and it gets frustrating sometimes. And I depend on the information accessed thru the top bar to figure out the program. Thank you.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions exactly to install the Thomas Constable Notes. I exited the program first. I looked under the file menu to make sure I was using the correct directory to unzip it in. I restarted the program. This was my second attempt at installing. It will not show as installed. Could you make a suggestion as to what I did wrong? Also it keeps taking away the top bar that has the minimize / resize and exit buttons. I'm using a pen for a mouse as my touchpad and mouse drivers both got clobbered and it gets frustrating sometimes. And I depend on the information accessed thru the top bar to figure out the program. Thank you.

What is the name of your SS user directory? It should show in your preferences like this.
1549849811375.png

Is there a file in that directory called TCENp.ss5book?
Is there a folder in that directory called TCENp-Assets?
What is in that folder? You should have 66 pdf files, one for each book of the Bible and also bookshelf.png

If these are correct, it should work.

I checked and the book file was in the wrong directory, now it is showing as installed but the bookshelf doesn't seem to be showing up. I guess it's supposed to be in the Books and Dictionaries pane? The only thing showing there is a black box with an 'X'.

Mairi, I can't really explain the issue you are having.

I just downloaded the zip file, and unzipped it to my user directory. It works for me. As long as the the files and folder are in the right place it should work. It should show up in the Books and Dictionaries pane, and you should see a bookshelf where you can click the individual books to open the correct PDF file.

Mairi, I can't really explain the issue you are having.

I just downloaded the zip file, and unzipped it to my user directory. It works for me. As long as the the files and folder are in the right place it should work. It should show up in the Books and Dictionaries pane, and you should see a bookshelf where you can click the individual books to open the correct PDF file.

So, to start over, to uninstall correctly, can I simply remove the folders from the User Directory and re-dowload and extract, or do I have to do something else? I did accidetally tell Windows to open one of the SwordSearcher module files (I"m not sure this in the one) with ADOBE. Yeah, really wierd. But it worked when I told it to open with SwordSearcher. So it must know it belongs to SwordSearcher, but it's still showing an Adobe icon! And even after several attempts, making sure that the bookfolder was deleted, and any possible copies, when I downloaded it again, it put the same icon back! And I was looking at the edit code but at least had enough sense to leave it alone. So I didn't do anything to it. Actually, I think that was the CVN module where that happened. I want to thank you for that. It's just what I was looking for for my project. I was facing at least two months of trying to number those verses. Now, if there is way to show the verse number in with the chapter and verse in the main Bible display, it would be perfect! BLESS YOU.

Last edited:
I am having trouble understanding the copyright notices on the Constable Notes as I know of two programs that already have them - one is free and the other pay. The notes I find online say copyrighted 2017.

They are copyrighted but they are free to download for personal use. That's why I didn't include the pdf files as part of the module. The user has to download them and the module will just provide a "bookshelf" interface.

Here's the notice:
Expository Notes Copyright Policy. Unauthorized translation, republishing, file duplication, website or email distribution of any portion of this copyrighted material in any form, without the express written consent of Dr. Thomas L. Constable, or his appointed representatives, is strictly forbidden. You may use these Bible study notes for your own personal study or for teaching a class. You may download a copy to your computer, print, or make paper photocopies for a class or Bible study group, but charge only the cost of copying. You may NOT make changes and then attribute the Notes to Dr. Constable.

Last edited:
They are copyrighted but they are free to download for personal use. That's why I didn't include the pdf files as part of the module. The user has to download them and the module will just provide a "bookshelf" interface.

Here's the notice:
Expository Notes Copyright Policy. Unauthorized translation, republishing, file duplication, website or email distribution of any portion of this copyrighted material in any form, without the express written consent of Dr. Thomas L. Constable, or his appointed representatives, is strictly forbidden. You may use these Bible study notes for your own personal study or for teaching a class. You may download a copy to your computer, print, or make paper photocopies for a class or Bible study group, but charge only the cost of copying. You may NOT make changes and then attribute the Notes to Dr. Constable.
Thanks much. I think I remember reading that on the site where I got them. I appreciate much what you have done. I guess I cannot even share them in SwordSearcher even to my pastor if I understand correctly. Again thanks - you are much appreciated by me and I feel sure, others on this board. MGB.

Back