Footnotes - Can they be made to appear in a popup window or mouseover?

jerrybouey

I am reading The Pulpit Commentary, and some references are given in footnotes, Some entries are pretty long and it is not very convenient to go to the bottom of the panel when I click on a footnote number. I tried searching in Preferences and in Help and can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Is there a way to make it so the footnote info shows up in a popup window when I click on it, or even appearing when I do a mouseover? That would be really helpful. If not, that is ok. If I am just blind and someone knows how to do this or where I go to change the settings for it, that would be great.

No, that's not possible right now.

I am reading The Pulpit Commentary, and some references are given in footnotes, Some entries are pretty long and it is not very convenient to go to the bottom of the panel when I click on a footnote number. I tried searching in Preferences and in Help and can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Is there a way to make it so the footnote info shows up in a popup window when I click on it, or even appearing when I do a mouseover? That would be really helpful. If not, that is ok. If I am just blind and someone knows how to do this or where I go to change the settings for it, that would be great.
Although it isn't a popup for the footnotes, you can right-click and clone the panel, then click on the footnote in the cloned panel so it will show the footnotes - then you can put the clone to the side so you can read the footnotes without losing your place in the main panel...

Although it isn't a popup for the footnotes, you can right-click and clone the panel, then click on the footnote in the cloned panel so it will show the footnotes - then you can put the clone to the side so you can read the footnotes without losing your place in the main panel...
Excellent solution, thanks @marty !

That said, if you click the footnote superscript number in the text, it will scroll down to the footnote, and then if you click the footnote number down there, it will scroll back up to the position in the text. So there are two ways to handle it.

I do like @marty 's method.

Excellent solution, thanks @marty !

That said, if you click the footnote superscript number in the text, it will scroll down to the footnote, and then if you click the footnote number down there, it will scroll back up to the position in the text. So there are two ways to handle it.

I do like @marty 's method.
I am confused for after the question I asked while ago about linking to and from footnotes and finding no answer in the forum, I see this. Brandon - did you mean there is a way to do it, for when I click on my superscript number it does not take me to the footnote nor does clicking on the superscript in the footnote take me back to the superscript in the text? I am confused. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am confused for after the question I asked while ago about linking to and from footnotes and finding no answer in the forum, I see this. Brandon - did you mean there is a way to do it, for when I click on my superscript number it does not take me to the footnote nor does clicking on the superscript in the footnote take me back to the superscript in the text? I am confused. Thanks.
I'm sorry, I can't quite parse the question.

There are several commentaries and books in SwordSearcher that use clickable footnotes. They use HTML anchors to accomplish that. They do not provide popups.

I'm sorry, I can't quite parse the question.

There are several commentaries and books in SwordSearcher that use clickable footnotes. They use HTML anchors to accomplish that. They do not provide popups.
I know just enough HTML to get me in a lot of trouble and that I could not get going for myself. However, I like Marty's idea of cloning the panel (cloning being something I have just recently discovered). What I make use of in the work I am now doing, is to put the footnote at the end of the paragraph, making the footnote number red and superscripted. Then I put the footnote indented with the number in red also. If the reader is not interested in reading the footnote, they recognize it as a footnote, and can skip over to the next paragraph. Well, it works for me anyway. :) May God richly bless all who are on this group - wonderful helpers.

Back