Creating commentary notes

Risen

So, I'm trying to create a commentary. When I create it and close the app, Then I re-open it, it's not there. The document is there on my laptop but not in Swordsearcher?

Which folder is it in on your laptop? If it's in Documents/SwordSearcher User Modules, check in SwordSearcher File>Preferences>Module File Locations and see if Documents/SwordSearcher User Modules is listed. If it's not, you'll need to add it.

So, I'm trying to create a commentary. When I create it and close the app, Then I re-open it, it's not there. The document is there on my laptop but not in Swordsearcher?

A couple of things to check. First make sure it really isn't there, by going to the Tabs menu and choose "Select Which Tabs to Show." Is it in the list? By default, it should be visible, but just want to make sure.

Next thing is to go to the Help menu and see if there is one on the list called "Module Load Error Log." If there is, we need to take a look at that and see what it says.

The really weird thing I have seen is that some people create user modules and then their third-party anti-virus software immediately deletes them or moves them into quarantine. If you are using anything other than the Microsoft security software that comes with windows, check on that. PC vendors like to laden their PCs with unnecessary ultra-aggressive anti-malware and charge annual fees for it. It's one of the worst things about PCs and has caused many users random difficulties in the past.

I see, yeah, I'm running ExpressVPN. I turned off the VPN, created a commentary and the same thing. I think it's because it goes to my OneDrive? No, paused OneDrive and still the same thing. The file does get created, it just doesn't show in the app once I close it and then re-open it. It's a new LG Gram laptop.

Last edited:
I see, yeah, I'm running ExpressVPN. I turned off the VPN, created a commentary and the same thing. I think it's because it goes to my OneDrive? No, paused OneDrive and still the same thing. The file does get created, it just doesn't show in the app once I close it and then re-open it. It's a new LG Gram laptop.
If the new module file is in your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder, SwordSearcher will try to open it on startup. If it can't, it will log a reason in the module load error log, which you can find on the Help menu. Do you see anything there?

I suppose as a last resort you could create a new location for your user modules in a different location. You can do that and change where SwordSearcher stores user modules in File, Preferences, Module File Locations.

Also, what anti-virus are you using? I don't think a VPN solution could be an issue here, I would suspect bad anti-virus first.

Module Load Error Log
These errors were logged when module files were initialized.

The Bible highlighting data file location "C:\Users\Myname\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\" is not available.

The module location "C:\Users\Myname\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\" is not available.

This is the error I'm getting. The only anti-virus I have is Windows defender. I delete that other stuff pretty quick.

Last edited:
SwordSearcher is not being given access to your user modules folder. Unfortunately there is no way to know why, just that when SwordSearcher tries to open files there, it's being denied.

Maybe in your case creating a new location for your user content would be the best approach.

Please see:

What do you need extra help with, Risen?

Is there a video of this being done?
No, I have not made a video for this. All you have to do is create a folder using File Explorer where you want new modules to be stored, and then add that location to File, Preferences, Module File Locations in SwordSearcher.

Although I do not know why you have to do this. Something on your computer is preventing SwordSearcher from using the files in that location. I have no idea what that could be, sorry.

Is your Library Tabs settings set to show all tabs? Or do you have a Module set in force?
Capture.PNG

The module you created will be there but will disappear from the visible tabs when you close SS. You will have to look for it in the drop down menu. If you have a Module Set controlling what tabs you see you will have to add your commentary to the Module Set.

Okay, I got it. I stopped OneDrive from backing up files. The files are now saved locally. OneDrive wasn't allowing the file to save. I'm sure I could have done something in the OneDrive settings, but this will work for now.

Update: I turned OneDrive back on, it asked me if I wanted to backup my notes file, I skipped it and it's still in my Swordsearcher app.

Last edited:
Back