2 questions -- Bible disciples

RevTim

Beta Tester
[1] Name the first disciple from the Bible that comes to mind.

[2] Regardless of who you thought of first, which disciple from the Bible would you suggest to a new convert would be a good life to study, and why?

Thanks,
Pastor Tim

RevTim

Beta Tester
I welcome all responses.

It's an informal survey to make a point for a lesson I am working on.

Thanks.

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
Paul.

[2] Regardless of who you thought of first, which disciple from the Bible would you suggest to a new convert would be a good life to study, and why?
Same (Paul), because:

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

RevTim

Beta Tester
I no longer NEED this information, but I think it makes for an interesting discussion, if others will post their thoughts.

As for me, I would have to say the first disciple I thought of was Peter, but I would encourage a study of Barnabas or Matthew.

Jeff

Peter was the first one I thought of.

I think it's clear, of course, that which ever one you study you don't want to emulate everything he's done. Seeing their weaknesses and the effects makes me more aware of the seriousness of my weaknesses; and (hopefully) makes me strive harder to become more like they eventually became. (I'm still thinking specifically of Peter; and the maturity he shows later in life in his epistles is something to strive for.)

That said, I like Brandon's answer.

RevTim

Beta Tester
Jeff said:
Peter was the first one I thought of.

I think it's clear, of course, that which ever one you study you don't want to emulate everything he's done. Seeing their weaknesses and the effects makes me more aware of the seriousness of my weaknesses; and (hopefully) makes me strive harder to become more like they eventually became. (I'm still thinking specifically of Peter; and the maturity he shows later in life in his epistles is something to strive for.)

That said, I like Brandon's answer.
Good points. MOST Bible characters have flaws we wouldn't want to emulate, but we can still learn from their mistakes [hopefully].

One of the few near perfect men in the Bible I can think of is Daniel.

Barnabas is really a favorite of mine.

Ruthlyn

Beta Tester
Peter came first to my mind also.

But my book of choice for new converts is the Gospel according to John. I like all of John's writings because for me he balances the great love of God for man with His absolute holiness that will in no wise tolerate sin.

marty

Beta Tester
Better late than never, huh? Here's my opinion. Thanks for asking!

[1] The first disciple I thought of was Peter.

[2] Again I would choose Peter. I believe seeing the ups and downs and ups in Peter's life gives hope to Christians who are distressed at failure in their Christian walk. Actually the focus should be on Jesus and the way He dealt with Peter - very comforting.

Jeff

marty said:
Better late than never, huh? Here's my opinion. Thanks for asking!
No problem, it took you less than two months to think of a disciple! (Just kidding :) )

I believe seeing the ups and downs and ups in Peter's life gives hope to Christians who are distressed at failure in their Christian walk. Actually the focus should be on Jesus and the way He dealt with Peter - very comforting.
Very good! I think you said what I would have liked to said when I posted if I could think straight. I think you topped Brandon's answer now (of course Pastor Tim meant this to be a contest, right :lol: ).

Also when I think of disciples I tend to think of the original twelve who learned from Jesus before his death and resurrection, so I may have been limiting myself, but I think I would have still picked Peter. Of course I know we, and all Christians, should be disciples too.

RevTim

Beta Tester
Jeff said:
Very good! I think you said what I would have liked to said when I posted if I could think straight. I think you topped Brandon's answer now (of course Pastor Tim meant this to be a contest, right :lol: ).
Actually, at the time, I was looking for some input pertaining to a sermon I was planning. But that was long ago and far away...

But it's still interesting to read these responses.

Blessings,
Pastor Tim

marty

Beta Tester
I have trouble warming up to Paul. I read a book about his life that helped me understand him better, but I still identify with Peter more. One time I read the New Testament with my focus just on what it disclosed about Jesus in how He dealt with people, situations, etc. I made a connection with Peter that stuck. I wish I'd had SwordSearcher then... Maybe when I get through doing a study on the I AM (attributes of God), I'll read the NT again focusing on Jesus, making notes with SS. 8)