Additional abbreviations to be automatically recognized

Eric

Beta Tester
When I paste citations into an SS user module, it'd be nice if these were recognized.

From Brown Driver Briggs Hebrew Lexicon:

Gn (Genesis)
Zp (Zephaniah)
Is (Isaiah; this might be problematic since it's a word, too, but should be OK if followed by digits)
Jb (Job)
Zc (Zechariah)
ψ (Psalms)
1 S (1 Samuel)
2 S (2 Samuel)
Je (Jeremiah; not "Jer" which stands for "Jerusalem" and "Jerome" in this book)
Hb (Habakkuk)
Ez (Ezekiel; it's "Eze" in SS which is better to avoid ambiguity with Ezra)
Dn (Daniel)
Ct (Canticles, i.e., Song of Solomon)
1 K (1 Kings)
2 K (2 Kings)

! N. B. In this lexicon, "Lu" is not Luke, but "Martin Luther", :D I suppose since it didn't need an abbreviation for Luke due to only dealing with the OT.

A few of those should definitely be added and I will do so.

If you want Is to work for Isaiah in your user modules, you can remove it from the exclusions list by going to File, Configure Verse Recognition in the editor window. It's disabled by default due to the high potential for false-positive matches (I got lots of complaints about this one).

Single-character book names like 1K will work in the main search box but are too short to be used reliably for automatic verse linking (especially with a space between the digit and letter). Canticles is a recognized book name for Song of Solomon already but not the Ct form.

Anyway I will work through your list and add more abbreviations to the recognized list (which already recognizes thousands of abbreviations). :)

If you want Is to work for Isaiah in your user modules, you can remove it from the exclusions list by going to File, Configure Verse Recognition in the editor window. It's disabled by default due to the high potential for false-positive matches (I got lots of complaints about this one).

But, it is true that "Is" and 'is" are equal in SwordSearcher's "mind"? I.e., I was surprised that "is" is in the exclusions list you mentioned. Seems that if it was case sensitive, then the only false positives would be when a sentence starts with "Is". Also, does the SS parsing (auto-linking) of references reference entire books? If it were limited to only cases when a possible abbreviation is followed by up to three digits, wouldn't that help (but I think it is that way). Just trying to get my mind around it.

Thanks for the thousands of abbreviations you already have coded into SwordSearcher!

It's not case sensitive. Source material is very inconsistent so it can't be.

The problem are sentences containing numbers after the word "is," which is far more common than you would expect. The parsing is indeed limited to a pattern like what you mention but "is" and "number" are both frequently followed by a number. You can modify the exclusion list as required by your source material -- lots of people have to add words.

It's not case sensitive. Source material is very inconsistent so it can't be.

The problem are sentences containing numbers after the word "is," which is far more common than you would expect. The parsing is indeed limited to a pattern like what you mention but "is" and "number" are both frequently followed by a number. You can modify the exclusion list as required by your source material -- lots of people have to add words.

Thank you, Brandon, for the clarifications.

Back