Awkward Message to Preach

Truckerboy

I have been given a preaching opportunity at church next Sunday, 3 June, to share something which the Lord has burdened me with.

the message is based on Isaiah 28, looking at the problem of treating the Word of God with disdain, and its consequences. As such I will be speaking against mysticism and the Word Faith Movement. Although the fellowship I am part of is pretty sound,there are a few who have leanings in these directions, so there may be some reaction or controversy.

Please pray that people hear from the Lord on this, and not my opinion or their own preferences. Also, that where people are challenged, that they check things out against the Word of God.

Many thanks.

Truckerboy.

wsbones

Beta Tester
I have been given a preaching opportunity at church next Sunday, 3 June, to share something which the Lord has burdened me with.

the message is based on Isaiah 28, looking at the problem of treating the Word of God with disdain, and its consequences. As such I will be speaking against mysticism and the Word Faith Movement. Although the fellowship I am part of is pretty sound,there are a few who have leanings in these directions, so there may be some reaction or controversy.

Please pray that people hear from the Lord on this, and not my opinion or their own preferences. Also, that where people are challenged, that they check things out against the Word of God.

Many thanks.

Truckerboy.
God will bless his Word.

Ruthlyn

Beta Tester
May the love that the Lord has for your brethren come thru in the truth of His word as you preach. His Spirit fill both you and the message.

Ruthlyn

marty

Beta Tester
You're in my prayers, Truckerboy.

Truckerboy

Thought I would update you - I was able to give the sermon on 3 June and it was given a varied response. Many thanks for your prayers!

A number of people thought it was much needed, one couple didn't know that "soaking prayer" was mystical and therefore unbiblical (I lent them a couple of books on the issue), and a lady with a Roman Catholic background was disappointed that I "fired a broadside" at all those nuns who had committed themselves to a lifetime of prayer.

Actually I hadn't fired the broadside at committing to prayer, I fired it at the unbiblical form of prayer which they had been led to commit their lives to. The main point of the sermon was simply that whatever we get involved in, whatever teaching we come across, and whatever teachers we listen to, we must only accept it and take it on board if it lines up with scripture. I wasn't saying anything new here, you can find this principle throughout scripture.

I was able to have good conversations with these people, and am waiting for them to come back and talk some more.

marty

Beta Tester
Thanks for the update, Truckerboy. Sometimes all you can do is plant a seed... sounds like you planted a good one!