Bible references

wsbones

Beta Tester
Any chance of automatically scanning for and linking Bible references in user commentary or user books when the document is saved? Or perhaps a stand alone utility that would work on a text file and mark the verses with # |.

If you are actually writing your own commentary, it's not a big deal to mark the verses manually. But if you are pasting in a commentary from another source that has lots of references, it becomes pretty tedious.

The Online Bible editor does this when you type ctrl-Q. It marks the verses after validating that they are good references. It handles a variety of formats and abbreviations (even Roman numerals). That editor has other problems however.

A search and replace function would also be useful in the editor.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on both.

Any chance of automatically scanning for and linking Bible references in user commentary or user books when the document is saved? Or perhaps a stand alone utility that would work on a text file and mark the verses with # |.

If you are actually writing your own commentary, it's not a big deal to mark the verses manually. But if you are pasting in a commentary from another source that has lots of references, it becomes pretty tedious.

The Online Bible editor does this when you type ctrl-Q. It marks the verses after validating that they are good references. It handles a variety of formats and abbreviations (even Roman numerals). That editor has other problems however.

A search and replace function would also be useful in the editor.

If the work you are doing is from a web page that has the verses in some form of parenthesis there is a workaround this matter. The easiest thing Bro. LeRoy and I have found is to use Microsoft Word and by using CTRL/H you can enter to search for { and replace it with # and then do the CTRL/H for } and replace it with | - you may find a few places that the same parenthesis marks (or similar ones) are used but they will probably stick out like sore thumbs :) and be easy to remove.

Did you know also that Online Bible already has the # in front of the verses and that you can do a right mouse click on an open topic number while in OLB and click to copy it formatted and it will paste it automatically into the open blank Microsoft Word document.

Another thought - if you copy and paste from a web page, the formatting will be preserved (if you have the proper fonts on your computer) if you make the module inside the SwordSearcher program. For example, Bro. LeRoy's web site at:

http://www.mountzionpbc.org/index/Articles_books_author.htm

has Koine Greek fonts (at least in places) and if you put these fonts on your computer under Windows/Fonts then the document will automatically be created with proper paragraph makings and additionally will show the Greek words as Koine with the breathing marks and all. Ask and we can get those Greek fonts if you want them.

MGB,
Regie

I'm posting that again since I went beyond the 10 minute limit to again correct a few places in that which I had written:

A great idea IMHO! Until then though, if the work you are doing is from a web page that has the verses in some form of parenthesis there is a workaround this matter. If OLB is used the formatting around verses will be { and }. The easiest thing Bro. LeRoy and I have found is to use Microsoft Word and by using CTRL/H you can enter to search for { and replace it with # and then do the CTRL/H for } and replace it with | - you may find a few places that the same parenthesis marks (or similar ones) are used and the replacement procedure will make them probably stick out like sore thumbs :) and therefore be easy to find and remove. A better way for the ending } is to use CTRL/H and individually search for all 10 digits 0 through 9 and replace them with the | at the end, such as:

Search for 9}
Replace with 9|

Did you know also that Online Bible already has the # in front of the verses and that you can do a right mouse click on an open topic number while in OLB and click to copy it formatted and it will paste it automatically into the open blank Microsoft Word document.

Another thought - if you copy and paste from a web page, the formatting will be preserved (if you have the proper fonts on your computer) if you make the module inside the SwordSearcher program. For example, Bro. LeRoy's web site at:

http://www.mountzionpbc.org/index/Articles_books_author.htm

has Koine Greek fonts (at least in places) and if you put these fonts on your computer under Windows/Fonts then the document will automatically be created with proper paragraph makings and additionally will show the Greek words as Koine with the breathing marks and all. Ask and we can get those Greek fonts if you want them.

MGB,
Regie

Very helpful, and I have taken advantage of BOTH the SS & Online mods!

Thanks!

Back