Bible Study Question

Wes

I'm not sure if the Coffee Table is the right place for this question, but here goes. Also, as the forum rules state - please don't try to start a debate on this - I get enough flack from people I know for having the audacity to question textual criticism.

Question 1: If I'm trying to compare the TR, Alexandrian manuscripts, KJV 1611, KJV, etc. to verify what the various "experts" are saying on Bible versions - what online software would any of you recommend? I ordered Swordsearcher for the 1611 version but on the other hand it doesn't have the Alexandrian documents (Logos has them for a pretty sizable price but at this point I'm far enough into the subject that they may be worth it).

Question 2: Are the different Bible software?s known to be accurate? I've found enough misleading/inaccurate/wrong information in various "credentialed" theologians' books on the subject that I'm beginning to question everything I see.

Question 3: The CD-Rom hasn't come in the mail yet, but is the KJV 1611 on SwordSearcher a mirror of the actual 1611 with the Gothic print, etc.? If it isn't, is there a trustworthy reprint that anybody would recommend?

I'm not intimidated by languages/academics so I'm willing to tackle any level of information.

Thank you for your time.
Respectfully,
Wes Mathes

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
Question 1: If I'm trying to compare the TR, Alexandrian manuscripts, KJV 1611, KJV, etc. to verify what the various "experts" are saying on Bible versions - what online software would any of you recommend?
I don't know what to recommend for this specific purpose and it is a bit outside the scope of SwordSearcher. However, SwordSearcher includes the TR and the Wescott/Hort Critical Text for comparison.

I've found enough misleading/inaccurate/wrong information in various "credentialed" theologians' books on the subject that I'm beginning to question everything I see.
That is the proper attitude when using commentaries. :lol: I find value in all of the material I've included in the SwordSearcher library, but you should always read it carefully as they are simply writings of men. Smart men, to be sure, but imperfect as you and I.

is the KJV 1611 on SwordSearcher a mirror of the actual 1611 with the Gothic print, etc.?
No -- it includes the same spellings as the original 1611 edition but it is not a facsimile. You can control the font it is displayed in but you won't be able to make it "look like" the first printing KJV.

I have seen a 1611 edition REPLICA on Amazon that may be what you are looking for.

I hope this is a helpful response. Thanks for your post.

Jerry

Beta Tester
Wes said:
what online software would any of you recommend?
Hi Wes.

Good questions. I don't know the answer, but I have a couple places that might. You may want to jump over to http://www.zhubert.com and ask. Although they are more dedicated to the original languages I get the feeling someone there may have good advice.

You could also ask Ruben over at http://www.bsreview.org/weblog/blogger.html

Jerry

MDOC

Wes said:
Question 1: If I'm trying to compare the TR, Alexandrian manuscripts, KJV 1611, KJV, etc. to verify what the various "experts" are saying on Bible versions - what online software would any of you recommend?
After reading the following:
The Revision Revised, Dean John William Burgon [Centennial Edition, 1883-1983], 4th printing Sept 1983
Which Bible, David Otis Fuller, D.D. ISBN 082542612X
The Men Behind the KJV, Gustavus S. Paine ISBN 0801070082
Crowned With Glory, Dr. Thomas Holland ISBN 0595146171

I am disenclined to even consider the Alexandrian MSS. However, you can accomplish the same comparisons by looking at modern translations that began in 1881. You won't need to see the Alexandrian MSS.

Edited to add:
You won't need to see the TR, either. The KJV is based on it.

RevTim

Beta Tester
MDOC said:
Wes said:
After reading the following:
The Revision Revised, Dean John William Burgon [Centennial Edition, 1883-1983], 4th printing Sept 1983
Which Bible, David Otis Fuller, D.D. ISBN 082542612X
The Men Behind the KJV, Gustavus S. Paine ISBN 0801070082
Crowned With Glory, Dr. Thomas Holland ISBN 0595146171

I am disenclined to even consider the Alexandrian MSS. However, you can accomplish the same comparisons by looking at modern translations that began in 1881. You won't need to see the Alexandrian MSS.

Edited to add:
You won't need to see the TR, either. The KJV is based on it.
Excellent post!
Blessings,
Pastor Tim