Books and Dictionaries tab/history navigation

Ken Sturgeon

A slightly different request, but one that touches on SS remembering previous actions, is the ability to remember which topic you last visited within a book. If I go to one of the books I created and select an entry as follows...

1543244866242.png

If I then switch to a different book.

1543244909741.png

...and after that go back to the book I previously visited, the first entry is selected rather than the one I last viewed. Earlier I was looking at the entry named SOTS112 but when I came back to this book it defaults back to the first entry SOTS111.

1543245013348.png

A slightly different request, but one that touches on SS remembering previous actions, is the ability to remember which topic you last visited within a book. If I go to one of the books I created and select an entry as follows...
If you right click on the left arrow, you can see the history in the book panel. Left clicking takes you to the previously viewed book/topic.
1543245581728.png

...and after that go back to the book I previously visited, the first entry is selected rather than the one I last viewed. Earlier I was looking at the entry named SOTS112 but when I came back to this book it defaults back to the first entry SOTS111.

What's happening here is that as you switch books, SwordSearcher tries to find a close matching entry title in the new book. This is mainly for switching between dictionaries -- and works fine for dictionaries with different forms of the same words. But for regular books, it doesn't do much, and when you switch back with the tab, it just gives up looking for a similar entry and goes to the first.

The solution is as Bill suggested: using the back button in the panel instead. You can also right-click the back or forward button for a history menu of what you've been looking at.

This has come up more than once, and I appreciate it when someone takes the time to ask questions like this. You can be sure that if you didn't realize you could see a history of your book panel navigation, plenty of other people didn't realize it either. Today I sent out a newsletter with a tip based on this question, and blogged it here:

https://www.swordsearcher.com/blog/...g-between-book-tabs-and-the-history-menu/323/

Thanks again for using SwordSearcher!

This has come up more than once, and I appreciate it when someone takes the time to ask questions like this. You can be sure that if you didn't realize you could see a history of your book panel navigation, plenty of other people didn't realize it either. Today I sent out a newsletter with a tip based on this question, and blogged it here:

https://www.swordsearcher.com/blog/...g-between-book-tabs-and-the-history-menu/323/

I didn't know that there is a blog on SwordSearcher.com! :D After I poked around some there, I see a lot of things on that site that I didn't know were there! Pretty cool, Brandon! I love the action of the images on SwordSearcher.com, too, btw. Nicely done!

It might be useful for SS to save a portion of the history when SS is closed. Maybe the last 10 or 20 entries or something.

Oh, my my my my my......
I didn't know that. It keeps your "selection", and shows you the full history...... Was I asleeeeeep or what !!!!!
Man, !!!! This is awesome.

I know I did mention it before..... BUT, Mr. Stagg, if ever you put up live "seminar/teaching".... sign me up.... I'll be in the next plane.....set up a PayPal account, I'm on my way.....😁👍📘📚☕☕☕☕

if ever you put up live "seminar/teaching".... sign me up

I'm afraid the closest I will ever get to that will be the tutorial videos. :)

Back