by Jesus Christ, and God the Father

Stewart

You might be interested in visiting Brandon's excellent King James information page here.
Thanks, good stuff here.

A question...

I am doing an in-depth study of the book of Galatians and the very first verse has me wondering.

why did Paul state the following, "...[but] by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, ".

Surely Jesus and God are one and the same.

Any ideas why?

God Bless

wsbones

Beta Tester
Jesus:
All God, All man - my Father and I are one.
Mediator between God and man
Great is the mystery of godliness - God was manifest in the flesh
He is the express image of God. No man hath seen God at any time.
etc.

RevTim

Beta Tester
I am doing an in-depth study of the book of Galatians and the very first verse has me wondering.

why did Paul state the following, "...[but] by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, ".

Surely Jesus and God are one and the same.
Do you believe in the Trinity? If you do, then you realize that the Father, Son & Holy Spirit are three distinct personalities, but one and the same God almighty. But most of the time all three are not referred to at the same time / in the same verse.

The whole verse is, Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead; ) - He was simply claiming that he was an apostle chosen both by Jesus (directly), and God the Father. So here is an instance when the Son & the Father are mentioned as working in unison.

Further, he was making the point that he was not an apostle chosen by other men. or took on the title himself - it was God and God alone.

Men have for a long time struggled to understand the Trinity. Usually, analogies are put forth in an attempt to help our finite minds comprehend infinite wisdom & revelation. For a long time, I never really liked most analogies I had heard. Finally, I thought of one that helped me teach the Trinity.

It is as if the Father, Son & Spirit are three equal partners in a law office. Each one is equal in terms of their power and authority - but each One focusses on a different aspect of the Law - they have different "jobs" to do:
- The Father - corporate law - focussing on the establishment of all Law, and corporate "entities" (Israel, Angels, the world);
- The Son - criminal law - focussing on sinners and ultimate judgment of mankind;
- The Spirit - civil law - focussing on applications to the Church & "state" and their interactions with each other now.

It's an imperfect analogy, but I have used it in the past.

chuck in md

I have always looked at it, like Paul understood that God called him but he met Christ on the road at his salvation.

Paul clearly understood about the Godhead (Rom 1:20 and Col 2:9)

RevTim

Beta Tester
I have always looked at it, like Paul understood that God called him but he met Christ on the road at his salvation.

Paul clearly understood about the Godhead (Rom 1:20 and Col 2:9)
Amen. This is why I believe Paul was Judas's replacement - he was directly chosen by Christ.

Johnny NL

Amen. This is why I believe Paul was Judas's replacement - he was directly chosen by Christ.
I do SO SO SO agree with you Sirs....!!!!

RevTim

Beta Tester
RevTim, actually Matthias was Judas replacement (Acts 1:15-26 ) Paul as you said was special, thank you
Matthias was chosen by lots. Paul was chosen by Jesus directly. Therefore I view him as Judas's replacement. But Jesus chose all His apostles directly. That is what I have believed, taught & preached for 30 years. I do understand some will disagree, and that's fine. But that is my reasoning and belief.