Capitialization of Lord LORD in the KJV Bible

Stewart

Hi,

Can anyone explain why in the KJV the word Lord, is often in capitals, Lord, LORD.

Thanks

wsbones

Beta Tester
LORD = Jehovah. Hebrew H3068 Strongs number
Lord = Adonay Hebrew H136 Strongs number or some variations

Try the English Strongs Indexer Tool or do a case sensitive search for LORD and then Lord

RevTim

Beta Tester
Hi,

Can anyone explain why in the KJV the word Lord, is often in capitals, Lord, LORD.

Thanks
"LORD" in the OT represents the tetragramaton. Basically, this is God's personal name. The Jews considered this very holy but had lost the way to correctly pronounce it, and not wanting to mispronounce it they took the vowel pointings which basically equaled "adonai" or "Lord."

So the KJV translators, willing to honor this, put "Lord" in all caps when it represented God's actual name, which the Jews would say "adonai" in terms of actually reading it. Thus we know it is referencing the Lord God of Heaven, Who IS Lord, and His actual name, with holy reverence represented in the OT. (This is the very short hand version of how this came to be, and I don't suppose does it justice, but it is the basic facts of the case, if you'll pardon the pun.)

So, you'll have: Jonah 1:1 Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, (the Lord God of Heaven)

And: Genesis 18:27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which [am but] dust and ashes: (Lord in a respectful manner)

And: Genesis 18:12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also? (lord referring to someone in authority over another).

You basically do not find this in the NT except:

These following verses are accurate quotes of the OT in the NT, so "LORD" to represent the Hebrew tetragramaton comes with it -
* Matthew 22:44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
* Mark 12:36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.
* Luke 20:42 And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
* Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

The only other verse in the NT with "LORD" in all caps is --
Revelation 19:16 And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

And I believe this is done for emphasis, to show Who & What Christ Jesus is, so that when you name the name of Christ you are naming the One Who IS the King of all Kings, and Lord of all Lords - the Most High God of Heaven and Earth. It conforms to a Hebrew way of understanding, and of course, John the beloved was very Hebrew, being related to the Lord Himself.

The basic information for this came from my own years of study, especially in apologetics towards Jehovah's Falsely So Called Witnesses (more aptly name Russelites), and using SS's basic search features to emphasize and confirm the points.

I hope it helps. If anyone else has anything to add, please have at it, though I am a little surprised no one brought this out prior to myself.