Clipboard monitor please

SnowmanKing

Swordsearcher is great and I am so glad I purchased it. However, there are two things that I end up going back to my old software (theWord) for which I would love to see incorporated into SwordSearcher.

The first is to add an option when you copy verses to just copy the text as plain text.

Secondly, is to add a clipboard monitoring feature similar to theWord where if you copy a verse reference, it pops up with a little dialog where you can copy the verse or add it to your list. This is theWord's page about it if it explains better what I mean. That is the main reason I have to keep theWord installed on my computer. It is so helpful when I am seeking to make my messages or write papers to be able to do that.

Thank you Brandon for your wonderful software and I hope that you make it even better :)

The first is to add an option when you copy verses to just copy the text as plain text.
SwordSearcher already has this option.

You can enable "force plain text clipboard mode" for verse-based copy operations:

You can also do it for marked-text copy operations:

(See Advanced Clipboard Settings)

clipboard monitoring feature

I am considering this, though honestly I am hesitant to introduce a potential security issue of always watching and parsing the clipboard content.

The "SwordSearcher way" of doing this is to use the Scan Text for Verse References tool.

It provides the functionality of hot-linking verse references in any arbitrary text, it's interactive, and doesn't have the security issue of always looking at the text on your clipboard. It's easy to copy an entire document and then load all of the verses referenced in that document into a verse list panel, no need to constantly copy-and-paste sections of the document, etc.

Anyway this video demonstrates:

Last edited:

This might help part of the request.
1635087408842.png

The windows 10 clipboard can keep a list of verses that one copies. You can see and select items from the windows clipboard list using the Win-v keystroke. That might be a work-around for the "theWord" feature.

SwordSearcher already has this option.

You can enable "force plain text clipboard mode" for verse-based copy operations:

You can also do it for marked-text copy operations:

(See Advanced Clipboard Settings)
I should have clarified. Not just the plain text is what I was talking about, but where it is just the verse (without the reference). Sorry about not clarifying that above.

Also, with the clipboard monitor, couldn't you just have a way to turn it on or off that way the individual could choose whether they wanted it on and if so, they could choose when to have it on. That way they are choosing whether to have it monitored, for instance, when they are doing a paper or something.

Not to keep bringing up theWord, but they are just the main software I used before switching the SwordSearcher so I am more familiar with them. However, on this page, you can see the section where it says what to have before and after each verse and has the different variables you can put there. If you don't have any variables, then it is just the verse and no references. That is kind of what I was referencing. I was just thinking that maybe that could be one of the options on the copy verses dialog? Like maybe option M (or you could have that variable method), I'm not sure which is easier?

Not to keep bringing up theWord, but they are just the main software I used before switching the SwordSearcher so I am more familiar with them. However, on this page, you can see the section where it says what to have before and after each verse and has the different variables you can put there. If you don't have any variables, then it is just the verse and no references. That is kind of what I was referencing. I was just thinking that maybe that could be one of the options on the copy verses dialog? Like maybe option M (or you could have that variable method), I'm not sure which is easier?
OK, sorry... gotcha now . . .

Just curious, has this ever been given any more thought? It still is the main reason I can't use SwordSearcher (not e-Sword oops :) ) for all of my Bible Study. I do really like the idea of making it able to toggle on or off if we didn't want it to be always monitoring.

Last edited:
Just curious, has this ever been given any more thought? It still is the main reason I can't use e-Sword for all of my Bible Study. I do really like the idea of making it able to toggle on or off if we didn't want it to be always monitoring.
I can't comment on e-Sword, that is someone else's product and completely unrelated to SwordSearcher.

As for SwordSearcher, this is something on my "potential features list" and is regularly evaluated as an option for development.

I can't comment on e-Sword, that is someone else's product and completely unrelated to SwordSearcher.

As for SwordSearcher, this is something on my "potential features list" and is regularly evaluated as an option for development.
Oops. I am not sure why I wrote e-Sword. Sorry about that. I meant SwordSearcher. I must be very tired. I was telling someone about SwordSearcher this morning and they currently use e-Sword so that name must have just sat in my mind. Sorry about that.

Back