Creating Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Beta Tester
I have downloaded forge and I would like to personally customize my SS5 with books and bibles I have in other apps that I have paid for. ie: Logos and Bible Explorer4. (NASB and other books by John MacAurthur). I know their are copy right laws, but I am just reformatting what I legally own, to be used by another application, so as long as it is on my personal box and not shared or sold, I can sleep at night with that.

What format must I copy these into, to begin the task of hyperlinking before running them through forge? Or can someone point me to a layman's how to.

If I figure this out, it makes a great 'forced' study tool. :)

Hi Gord

Just a few things you might want to consider before attempting this. Please do not feel I am telling you what to do or not to do. Just some things to think about.

1) A person does not usually OWN any software package, you are licensed to use it.

2) What you can and cannot do to that software is outlined in the license terms (the best place to find out what you can and cannot do with it).

3) Material used (resources) in one application might have been licensed from other third parties. Permission to use these resources might require permission from them as well.

4) Changing formats (sometimes fitting in to the subject of "reverse engineering") is not usually allowed by licening terms. Especially if they are in a proprietary for binary format.

5) These points may, of course, be moot if allowed in the software license.

6) We are commanded by God to follow the laws of our Government, up to the point that they do not conflict with God's law. I don't personally feel copyright laws conflict here. And as a good testimony, we need to follow those laws.

Best advice? Read the licensing terms (which you agreed to follow when you opened the package, usually) and see what it prohibits (or allows).

Forge just uses tagged plain text as input. I do not think there are any guides to reformatting other package resources, but how to use forge is included with the documentation.

So, brother, after podering these, if you can, as you put it, sleep at night with it, more power to you and good luck.

What format must I copy these into, to begin the task of hyperlinking before running them through forge? Or can someone point me to a layman's how to.

If I figure this out, it makes a great 'forced' study tool. :)

The best place to look is in the SSForge.PDF file.

Bibles, Commentaries, and Books have slightly different syntax but should be plain text. They can contain certain markup codes for scripture refs., bold print, italic, etc.. If you download some of the user books, commentaries, Bibles and then export them you can see what they look like. They must be user editable modules in order to be able to export them.

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF A BIBLE

; User Bible module created by Bill Bonnell
; TITLE: King James Version 1769 Edition with Red Letters
; ABBREVIATION: kjvrl
; HAS ITALICS

$$ Ge 1:1

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

$$ Ge 1:2

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

$$ Ge 1:3

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
======
HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF A COMMENTARY

; KJV Commentary
; TITLE: KJV Commentary of New Testament
; ABBREVIATION: kjvCmt

$$ Mt 1:1
The Gospel According To MATTHEW <p>
INTRODUCTION <p>

The four Gospels present ...

$$ Mt 2:5
When they replied ...

ETC.
======

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF A BOOK

; User book created by Bill Bonnell from CCEL source
; TITLE: Pascal's Pensees by Blaise Pascal, 1660
; ABBREVIATION: Pensees

$$ 01 SECTION I: THOUGHTS ON MIND AND ON STYLE
<p>1. The difference between ...

$$ 02 SECTION II: THE MISERY OF MAN WITHOUT GOD
<p>
<p>60. First part: Misery of man without God.
<p>Second part: Happiness of man with God.

etc.

Assuming the texts you wish to convert allow conversion in their license terms, you need to export them in plain text, and then tag the verse references so that Forge can import them. The Forge documentation includes samples of what the Bible import format needs to look like.

Assuming the texts you wish to convert allow conversion in their license terms, you need to export them in plain text, and then tag the verse references so that Forge can import them. The Forge documentation includes samples of what the Bible import format needs to look like.
Thanks for the help everyone, now importing to ASCII???? what app is that, notes, word, ?? I am that green working in windows.

ASCII is basically plain text. You can use Notepad or Word (or any text editor, really). In Word, you need to save the file as Windows Text (.txt).

This has been a great thread!

This has been a great thread!
Forge is a really great tool, you get to see the results almost instantly (after working on the html), and you get to correct errors and omissions as you proof read on the fly as it just over writes the bad with the good. Brandon, developing forge to work like this borders on genius. ;)

Brandon, developing forge to work like this borders on genius. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. :)

My hope with Forge was/is that more people will try using SwordSearcher due to increased availability of material for it. The folks around here have really surpassed my expectations from users -- I figured a few power users would use it privately, and expected more publishers to use it. The reality is that several SwordSearcher users have used it extensively and made their material public, and few publishers have shown interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back