Evaluating ... Commentary Question

crboone

Hello SwordSearcher Users (and Brandon),

I'm new to SwordSearcher and will likely purchase the Deluxe version. But I have a quick question before I do about commentaries ...

Is it better to have one large commentary for notes, or to break it up into multiples? Is there a size limit where it's best to split them up? I'd like to be sure I follow the best process if I invest time in transferring all of mine.

Thanks!

EDIT: Removed an extra word I forgot to delete after a previous edit.

Last edited:
There is no practical limit to the size of modules or entries in modules. It really depends on your use of it. I would suggest that books in one module be broken up at least by chapters, sometimes by sections of chapters.

Commentaries are meant to be one entry per verse and that is how they are indexed.

Technically you could paste a couple of megabytes of text into a single entry, and it would work (maybe it would be slow in the editor depending on the content and your computer), but things are much more usable if you break them up.

If you're talking about making a personal commentary, the only reason you might want to have multiple commentaries is to divide by subject or some other criteria, if you expect to be writing a lot of text. That's entirely up to you.

There is no practical limit to the size of modules or entries in modules. It really depends on your use of it. I would suggest that books in one module be broken up at least by chapters, sometimes by sections of chapters.

Commentaries are meant to be one entry per verse and that is how they are indexed.

Technically you could paste a couple of megabytes of text into a single entry, and it would work (maybe it would be slow in the editor depending on the content and your computer), but things are much more usable if you break them up.

If you're talking about making a personal commentary, the only reason you might want to have multiple commentaries is to divide by subject or some other criteria, if you expect to be writing a lot of text. That's entirely up to you.

Much thanks, Brandon. I definitely wouldn't have that much text on a verse/entry basis, so it sounds like I would be fine. In all, I could see having 50-100MB of commentary text (just the text only) for the whole Bible, though that might be stretching it. I realize that's not all that large for a db.

You might create a one whole Bible commentary based on verses and then link large comments to one or more book entries in various user books (easy to do). That might be a good way to organize. If you plan on distributing your commentary, it would be better to put all the content into the commentary. Otherwise, you would have to distribute the books also.

It's very flexible.

You might create a one whole Bible commentary based on verses and then link large comments to one or more book entries in various user books (easy to do). That might be a good way to organize. If you plan on distributing your commentary, it would be better to put all the content into the commentary. Otherwise, you would have to distribute the books also.

It's very flexible.

That's a great idea. So rather than pasting a few MBs into a single entry, for example, a link in the entry would refer back to the book?

Back