Footnotes

Regie

Footnotes cause me more trouble than anything else (I believe) in SwordSearcher.

I'm doing a huge work right now entitled "The Works of Augustus Toplady" - it is a huge undertaking even though I found the text file (which contains zillions of errors) for it contains a lot of footnotes in which some are extremely long.

I have tried to incorporate these footnotes into the text using coding such as <color=red></color=red><font color="#ff0000"* See a tract, entitled, ?The Foundry Budget Opened," printed for Johnson, 1780, by the reverend Mr. Macgowan, author of the Shaver. Death a Vision, &c. &c.</font>

However, the very first footnote I tried to do this way ended up with the whole rest of that section in the module red.

If only there were a way in design mode to make a footnote without having to go to the complicated method of code mode and figuring out what complicated coding is required to use when bringing a work in via Forge?

I like to use Forge and then afterwards go into the module and fine-tune the work I have done.

Maybe, Brandon, you can consider if there is a way in which you might add a feature such as this to be used in the design mode.

Thanks,
Regie

I have tried to incorporate these footnotes into the text using coding such as <color=red></color=red><font color="#ff0000"* See a tract, entitled, ?The Foundry Budget Opened," printed for Johnson, 1780, by the reverend Mr. Macgowan, author of the Shaver. Death a Vision, &c. &c.</font>

However, the very first footnote I tried to do this way ended up with the whole rest of that section in the module red.

Yes, the code-mode editor really requires properly formed HTML, otherwise the results are unpredictable.

Maybe, Brandon, you can consider if there is a way in which you might add a feature such as this to be used in the design mode.

It's a possibility. In the meantime, I have two suggestions:

1. When you want to design complicated entries, it might be a good idea to consider an external HTML editor.

2. Consider just putting footnotes in-line in a smaller font -- unless they are really in the way, this could be a useful compromise.

Thanks Brandon.

I did find a way around it but maybe you can put that feature in a newer version sometime.

Thanks much,
Regie

The coding of <color=red></color=red><font color="#ff0000" was not right - it should have been <color=red><font color="#ff0000" and then close with </font> if I remember correctly.

Regie

Thanks Brandon.

I did find a way around it but maybe you can put that feature in a newer version sometime.

I'm definitely considering adding an "add footnote" function to the design editor.

Back